What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

This weekend I'm trying out a newly-acquired Panagor 55mm PMC Auto Macro f/2.8 lens. Not too common, it's a twin of the legendary Vivitar 55/2.8 Macro, both made by Komine, and similar in performance to the Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8. As it has a Canon FD mount I'll be using my favourite Canon T90.

1935528259_CanonT90(withcopy.thumb.jpg.9a6d4438a1c46bc36ad59341e2b357e7.jpg

• Like 5

Great macro rig, Rick. I remember that one of the photo magazines did a thorough test of the Panagor macro. It really made me want one but at the time I couldn't afford it. My first macro, though, was a bargain. In the mid 1980's I bought a preset Minolta Macro Rokkor f 3.5 for only 10 USD. Same design as the very last MD macros, but with a less sophisticated coating.
  • Like 2

Started the weekend a little early with this dented but otherwise excellent Kodak 1A Series III.

[ATTACH=full]1425121[/ATTACH]

This weekend I'm trying out a newly-acquired Panagor 55mm PMC Auto Macro f/2.8 lens. Not too common, it's a twin of the legendary Vivitar 55/2.8 Macro, both made by Komine, and similar in performance to the Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8. As it has a Canon FD mount I'll be using my favourite Canon T90.

[ATTACH=full]1425124[/ATTACH]

I hit reply instead of like on my phone.

• Like 1

Mike Gammill said:

Great macro rig, Rick. I remember that one of the photo magazines did a thorough test of the Panagor macro. It really made me want one but at the time I couldn't afford it. My first macro, though, was a bargain. In the mid 1980's I bought a preset Minolta Macro Rokkor f 3.5 for only 10 USD. Same design as the very last MD macros, but with a less sophisticated coating.

Great buying on the Rokkor Macro, Mike. They have steadily risen I'm price. I'm also trialing a Tamron Adaptall II SP 90mm f/2.5 Macro (Model 52BB0), another lens with a great reputation, and I'll post some results next week. So far, the Panagor is proving more versatile since it goes to 1:1 macro, while the Tamron goes only to 1:2, requiring it's adapter to reach 1:1. While I have one, it's just another bit of gear to mess around with!

• Like 1

Just loaded FP4+ in the old Agfa Selectaflex, with its nice little lenses. The autoexposure is kaputt, which is not a big problem.

I tried fixing one for a friend recently, but it looks like either the selenium cell or one of the resistors is worn out....so I just serviced the shutter and replaced the flaking foam seals. Works fine, albeit without the meter.

I also shot a test roll with an Aka Akarette yesterday. Still need to see if calibrating the lens actually works out.

• Like 2

It is supposed to rain here for the next few days so I think this combination is appropriate. The addition of the rangefinder will depend on just how wet it is at any given moment, but having just got it all cleaned and adjusted I think it needs an outing as well.

_DSC5840.thumb.jpeg.1b4bbc2979bd303a3effb4a26b2c0d6e.jpeg

• Like 5

A Minolta Maxxum 7000i, this weekend, with the slightly oddball but very sharp Minolta 100-200mm f/4.5 zoom lens. It's a strange lens in that it's a peculiar zoom range, it has no close-focus capabilities, and at f/4.5 its rather slow. However, it's one of the sharpest in this early series of Minolta AF zooms and produces excellent images.

1876160431_MinoltaMaxxum7000icopy2.thumb.jpg.d1873dd01f967af650b2e4ea6c63f0dc.jpg

Edited by rick_drawbridge
  • Like 5

@rick Drawbridge- that Maxxum 100-200 f 4.5 quickly became favorite tele zoom of mine. Besides its compact size, I like the fact that its aperture does not get smaller as one zooms. I prefer still having f 4.5 at 200mm rather than f 5.6 like some other compact zooms. I use this lens more than my 100-300 f 4.5-5.6 or my 70-210 f 3.5-4.5 (both are good lenses but I like the constant aperture and compactness).

The past weekend I hoped to exercise this Ricoh 500G, my first camera from 45 years ago.

However the light seals had perished and the wind mechanism appear to be half a millimetre short of completing its action, thus to forward the film I have to wiggle the advance arm in its outmost position before it returns.

The light seals I can fix, the film forwarding issue probably not. It doesn't prevent me from shooting with the camera but it is slightly inconvenient.

If I can find the materials, I'll replace the light seals and have it ready for next weekend.

I'll also have to find a zink-air cell (in place of the discontinued mercury cell) and hope the lightmeter is still alive. Luckily the camera is not dependent on batteries to operate.

52063724746_d44b3857c0_k.jpg

• Like 4
Niels

@rick Drawbridge- that Maxxum 100-200 f 4.5 quickly became favorite tele zoom of mine. Besides its compact size, I like the fact that its aperture does not get smaller as one zooms. I prefer still having f 4.5 at 200mm rather than f 5.6 like some other compact zooms. I use this lens more than my 100-300 f 4.5-5.6 or my 70-210 f 3.5-4.5 (both are good lenses but I like the constant aperture and compactness).

One thing I like about Minolta zoom lenses, is the consistent widest aperture over the zoom range. Which means I always know what wide open means. And that extra f stop does matter when one must hand hold.

Wonderful combination there, James! This Yashicamat 124 G was included with a few TLR cameras I received a week ago. I don't like the 124G as much as it's predecessor, the Yashicamat 12, which had fewer plastic components and hadn't been "glamourised" with the black finish; they are basically the same camera with the 124G accepting both 220 and 120 film as opposed to the 12's 120 only, not a huge advantage in this day and age! I'm running a film but I'll probably move the camera on.

1196754255_Yashicamat124G.jpg.072d935f043b72f324e6a15f9f2789ec.jpg

• Like 5

Wonderful combination there, James! This Yashicamat 124 G was included with a few TLR cameras I received a week ago. I don't like the 124G as much as it's predecessor, the Yashicamat 12, which had fewer plastic components and hadn't been "glamourised" with the black finish; they are basically the same camera with the 124G accepting both 220 and 120 film as opposed to the 12's 120 only, not a huge advantage in this day and age! I'm running a film but I'll probably move the camera on.

[ATTACH=full]1426959[/ATTACH]

I'm always amazed at the high regard this model brings. Like your Yashicamat 12, I have a similar vintage Yashica Mat 124. It too has the Yashinon, meter and 120/220 but is not a " G "designated model and doesn't have the plasticy pieces etc . Because of this.. it will not bring the return this miodel will bring.

Edited by chuck_foreman|1
  • Like 1

Shot some Rollei Retro 80s with my go-to Leica IIIc over the weekend,

And loaded up an Olympus PEN-F, but didn't get around to shooting with it.

Next weekend I'll have more opportunities; another Photo Walk with a few fellow film photographers and a World War 1 living history event.

Will need to load up a period correct camera for that last one.

• Like 1

This Tokina RMC 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 one-touch zoom arrived with a camera I recently bought. Some of the early Tokinas I've come across have proved to be good performers and initial tests on a Sony digital suggest that this could be one of them. Well built and nicely finished, the lens zooms to a 1:4 image ratio without additional buttons or catches, giving it a very usable close-focus potential. I've fitted it to the old favourite Minolta SRT-202 and when the rain stops I'll run a film.

648485727_MinoltaSRT202copy.thumb.jpg.ea1c5bac22231a5789cbefb282bf2968.jpg

• Like 5