New Look photo.net

DavidRabinowitz

Ugly, ugly and ugly. Please don't crop my images to oblivion. The logics of the menus totally an-logical. I don't care about the background and a bigger but butchered thumbnail images which is no longer thumbnail, it is a butchered images. Simple is better and the original format, arrangement was much, much better, viewable, simple and original. I don't b l d care about the colorful background. To rearrange photos in the gallery is creasy, it is not shifting the whole role to the left or right, and the image inserted replacing the image all ready there and the image now goes to the moved image place, which is not the action I like to have, I like to have the system to work as worked before. To rearrange the galleries listing is not working. That mach in the first hour, get tired, live the b l d computer.

BLM.

• Like 2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen:

"will come out in an FAQ I will publish"

well the time the FAQ is most needed is at the time of change. and it's not available. that's an explicit example of what I mean by bad implementation. The screen shot supplied is for "new posts", as you said, what I miss from the unified is that my unified was different from others', and I could filter out posts from categories I wasn't interested in, rather than having to drill down. How long will I have to STUMBLE around without a guide to find the features I mentioned "my recent comments/critiques" or what even is the appropriate term? Also, I had a personal field in the details section of each of my photos where I could note what forum I had posted the photo to. That was largely for my own information, so I could keep track, also of possible interest to others. Now the details section is gone. If I sound negative, so be it. I have enjoyed this site for quite a while because of it's own flavour, and quality of content from a number of people. The new navigation is frustrating enough without a guide, loss of features I valued is added to that. Albeit, I might be mollified with time, as you say.

I doubt that I will subscribe again - what a disappointment. I want the choice of blocking nudes - no more ratings - comments are difficult to see and make - thumbnails are butchered - can't find where I can set my camera, tech details - I'll keep giving it a chance, but very disappointing so far.

Wayne - spend some time on the site before you go off - I don't think you spent more than 15 minutes before you sent your first critique - I assure you - most if not all of the functions are there and they are better. Just because its not the same as it was before doesn't mean its not there in a slightly different form. Keep in mind ,a lot of effort went into this upgrade so please spend 30 minutes to get familiar with your new surroundings. You/we all want a thriving community and our testing has proven that new users will "get" this site more than they "got" the old one.

mlm

New

Glenn:

I take offense with your attitude that we're obstructionist to the "new" norm. I've been around computers since the Trash 80's and have always (well, the majority of the time) embraced new technology and change. This design doesn't fit the category of improvements. If I, as a 10 year member, can't find my way around and can't keep up with my and my image comments easily then it's just pretty pictures flashing by and I can see those on most any site. And please don't start that "new users' will "get it" crap again (like the last rollout), it's an insult to your current paying customers. This version is impersonal and cold, no sense of community connection at all. That said, I'm going to take your challenge and spend a few days poking around, maybe I'll be enlightened. Mike Mancil

• Like 4

My private view 'galleries' ie image files I used for online posting indicate that they are empty once I enter that gallery - I had over 500 images in one of them of which I refered to many repeatedly. Just uploaded a fresh pair of images to one private gallery and same deal - cannot click on the image and access the image data and the gallery indicates there are no images in that gallery..........

I'm also finding that I am not staying logged in for long enough - is there an adjustment I can make to stay logged on for longer or is there an auto nil activity log out activated?

And whilst I'm having a good sook - this new p.net takes way too long to load up - and there is nothing wrong with my internet connection........... The 'My Account' section insists that I fill in my address detail and yet it offers Australia as an option but only offers USA states as an option to fill in the data box, this is simply way too America centric and a bit of an oversight.

Personally I prefered the old site, nothing was broken with it for the 10+ years I subscribed to it - i found it quite logical and 2nd nature to flow through the menus, this new set up is too scatterlogical to my way of thinking. Maybe if I sit in front of this for hours I might find everything I used to browse on p.net but I say if it anint broke - don't fix it.

....and......... why do my paragraph breaks disappear when I post? C'mon p.net you can do (and did) much better than this.

Edited by Matthew Brennan

I don't understand why to destroy a good running old stuff and why to certainly implement something standard (like at all sites with images).

I wrote about this before, after the first attempt of deploying a new version of the site, and repeat it now:

I'll not post photos here (in such a "new" version) and even will be forced to delete all my previous photos, because all my albums (and, rather, almost square previews of my photos) look extremely ugly now and discredit my portfolio.

Edited by EvgenyBrook
  • Like 1

Glenn...the old version of PN used to keep me logged in. This one does not. Every time I leave the site I must re-login again when I return. My photos in my portfolio are butchered so badly that you can't recognize. Guess I will delete all of them. I am very disappointed in the version of PN. It is not an improvement at all.
  • Like 2

Well, I have to say the second page of this thread is displaying, so if that was a fix, thank you!

Glenn: you're going to have an uphill struggle here because us regulars wouldn't be here if we weren't at least fairly happy with the old site design. Most changes are negative for me so far, but I'll reserve judgement and take some pain if the site is better for others, and see if I can find things that are improvements for me. Good luck with the roll out and fire fighting - though I still wish it had been a little more of a collaborative effort (several of us have some user interface training...)

I don't understand why to destroy a good running old stuff and why to certainly implement something standard (like at all sites with images).

I wrote about this before, after the first attempt of deploying a new version of the site, and repeat it now:

I'll not post photos here (in such a "new" version) and even will be forced to delete all my previous photos, because all my albums (and, rather, square previews of my photos) look extremely ugly now and discredit my portfolio.

If you look at your photos within Explore Tab you will see that the thumbnails are not square as you suggest they are - their aspect ratio is in line with what the original photo intended. Also - if you click on the photo - the lightbox we developed is extremely straight forward and I think a tremendous improvement over our old presentation - which would break the page. We did our best to produce a stage where the photo could be seen without distractions but ALSO and equally as important be found so it could be shared and discussed..which is one of the primary reasons we upload photos here isn't it?

Just navigating for a few minutes and it seems to be a step in the right direction. Actually more than that, particularly my Photographs look better. I don't know if thats because the backdrop is different that causes the illusion that the Photographs look better or what, but at least there is a cleaner look to them. The resolution issue full screen still looks compressed, but again a step in the right direction. I presume there will be some fine tuning to follow.

Glenn: is there a design document you could share? For those of us prone to reading camera manuals before we buy, something that described all the site features and how they're accessed would be a good leg-up on the new design. (I'm reserving most judgement/comments until I get a PC out, other than to request some mobile view testing on Android, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of features that people are just failing to locate. It took me a while to find the forums, for example...)

Re Finding forums: How about we drop the "community" and just go with "forums" in the main nav?

Re Android and iOS - much of this effort is grounded in being able to create apps - old system was from mid-90s, not exactly app time period. New system, app making friendly - again core reason for the new system, both front and and back end.

Major redesign includes elimination of FAQ!

Really?

At a time when a little help in navigation of the site is most likely going to be difficult because of the changes!

Definition of disrespect for users and poor design.

Sad you feel disrespected my friend. Clearly not our intent.

My first reaction is very negative. In the forums, if you have the page set wide, there's tons of white space between each reply. White space can be useful, but unless I use a magnification that doesn't let me read the replies, I can only see about four replies per page. And where is the indication of how long someone has been a member?

Yes sir:

367901860_ScreenShot2017-02-08at2_29_00AM.thumb.png.8a4efdc947bf170c04583a982f6ee31a.png

So, why are we not using our preferred screen names, instead of the ancient PN account user name, which has NEVER been what was displayed? Editing my profile's screen name doesn't appear to revise the name displayed under the avatar that's now being presented in forum threads. If the screen name field doesn't change what's displayed (on the screen!), what's the point of making that user definable?

We can look into that - I am fairly sure it is

So, why are we not using our preferred screen names, instead of the ancient PN account user name, which has NEVER been what was displayed? Editing my profile's screen name doesn't appear to revise the name displayed under the avatar that's now being presented in forum threads. If the screen name field doesn't change what's displayed (on the screen!), what's the point of making that user definable?

Must be a settings issue - we can look into the user name

1722098241_ScreenShot2017-02-08at2_52_35AM.thumb.png.2da4fe8b05746933df9b99a7c5d3f436.png [uOTE=bill_bowes, post: 5480586, member: 287732]Please go back to the "No Words" forum and see what's keeping my 400x700, 155kb file from going in. . . Your stary night is there, PFM?? Bill

Are you clicking on "upload file" as shown below?

I spend a half-hour just to find a way to replay, make a comments here. It is a colorful disaster, difficult to navigate no logic,commands strewn all over. I think, I'm finis with this new website. To bad I paid my feed for this year.

And hardly can I see this bloody light grey text too.. I not going to post anymore and my remove,if I can a whole images of this an-logical web site. Confusig, hard to read the text, UGLY UGLY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .UGLY

i like it !

is there a page for bugs+fixes ?

just in case this is it ...

when i wrote in this reply box ... the "Write your reply..." didn't vanish when i type this note

( when i clicked on the "more options" tab to preview the post &c it looks normal/right

i'm using safari ( newest version )

OK, I found the function "watched forums", and since it did NOT reflect my previous choices in "unified", I patiently went through the list and marked each forum I was interested in, including how I did or not want to be notified about each. So I AM trying. Also finding out how to get to my list of followed photographers, or at least their latest image posts.....

Question: How do you set the visibility of individual folders? Question#2: How do you find out which of your pictures has received a new comment? (previously, "recently commented on pictures). Question #3:How can you find out if there is any follow up on your comments? Question#4: How do you send a message to other members? Question #5: Is there still a list of comments you have made on other member's photos? Edited by Jack McRitchie

Re Finding forums: How about we drop the "community" and just go with "forums" in the main nav?

That might be better, I think. To me, "community" includes user portfolios etc.

Re Android and iOS - much of this effort is grounded in being able to create apps - old system was from mid-90s, not exactly app time period. New system, app making friendly - again core reason for the new system, both front and and back end.

I remember this suggestion from last time; may I ask what the goal of an app is? From my perspective, it's extra storage, a potential security risk, a compatibility headache, and likely to interact less well with other activities in the browser; I trust you'll support having a large number of tabs open, as I do in the browser? If there's a good reason for an app, so be it, but if it's just duplicating the web then I'd much rather the web interface worked properly. Nothing I do here needs more than a browser, so I'm concerned that this is a false goal.