How much is really Canon A-1 worth?

michal_groch

<p>Hello, I am looking to buy Canon A-1 with standard lens to learn photography. I found couple cheap on ebay (60-100$) but I am not sure about condition. Problem is live in central Europe and there aren't many film camera shops and shipping with tax from US is mostly about 50$. I found one shop with good reviews in UK and they sell Canon A-1 with lens and flash for 225$ with shipping. Camera have new battery, light seals and have complete CLA. I would rather pay 225$ for really nice working camera on which I can rely for couple years than buy something really cheap and then trying to find someone who can fix it. Is this camera worth it if you count condition (Excellent) and complete CLA.<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-A-1-35mm-Classic-Film-Camera-CANON-1-1-8-F-50mm-Lens-National-Flash-/172193506447?hash=item281788648f</p>

<p>Why not get a cheapo camera....and arrange with the owner to send it to an agreeable service place....and you'll pay for CLA and be done with it, eh ? I mean, once the owner knows what it will cost, he/she would contact you. Well, I certainly would welcome such arrangement....making both parties happy.</p>

<p>By the way, don't read too much into the external parts of the camera > the most important parts are hidden.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>I won't oppose your idea of getting an A1 since it was my first camera but there are lots of other options available that are equally suited for learning photography. Why not look at ebay or similar sites? Even in excellent condition and CLA these cameras are 35 years old and may break down any minute. So look around for other options as well. Perhaps an EOS film camera? These will let you use the same lenses on modern EOS digital cameras. Or look at Pentax for good long time compatibility between lenses and bodies.<br>

OTOH I still have warm feelings for the A1 :-)</p>

<p>Well I paid $26 US for a not-known-to-work Canon A-1 with an FD 28mm f/2.8 lens with a cracked bezel. (story at <a href="/modern-film-cameras-forum/00b82L">link</a>). A little cleaning and fidgeting and all works fine.<br>

That was a bargain, but in the USA, I wouldn't pay more than a $100 for one.<br>

If you must have a Canon FD mount, consider a Canon AE-1 P, it should be even cheaper and is much more common.</p>

<p>However, for your purposes and in your location I think you'd do better with one of the miracles of Warsaw Pact production, an M42-mount Praktica. The very basic models in what is known as the L series are cheap, durable, with a wonderful shutter by anyone's standard. Look for one made without a meter, since older meters, east and west, have a way of not working well. With color/negative or B&W film a meter is less crucial anyhow (see <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule">Sunny-16</a>, not to be confused with "sweet-16").</p><div>00dxt6-563302484.jpg.71107cc4eacaa73adfd38ca269e98889.jpg</div>

<p>On eBay, there are plenty German shops with a wide choice of cameras, reasonable prices and shipment throughout Europe. Most of them have excellent feedback, and return policies. I'd try via any of those (in fact, I did for several cameras and lenses - most of them coming to think of it); prices may not be the lowest, but they'll clearly state whether it's working or not. I'd try to get one via that way (no idea what they'll ask for this specific camera, but worth checking out all the same).</p>

<p>If you can get a Canon T90 in working condition for the price you are talkig about for an A-1, go for it...a much better camera (I've had both, sold the A1 kept the T90). Check Ebay,,,usually lots of both.</p>

<p>If the goal is to learn photography, I would avoid all of Canon's auto-exposure capable cameras with the exception of the New F-1. They are all (except the New F-1) kind of clunky when used in full manual exposure mode. I would start with (cheapest to most expensive) an AT-1, FT, FTb, FTbn, TL, TLb, TX, F-1, F-1n, or New F-1. These all use FD lenses.<br /> Of these, my pick would be an FTb or FTBn. Very rugged, simple, and uses the same 12% spot metering system as the F-1s.</p>

<p>That looks like a very nice A-1, but it's a little overpriced, considering it comes with an FD 50/1.8 rather than the superior 50/1.4.</p>

<p>However, if it indeed has had a CLA, the price is really not that bad. At CLA would cost at least $100, and any of the other cameras that have been recommended would likely need one.</p>

<p>I agree that an F-1 or F-1N would be a better choice for learning manual exposure, but one of those bodies in good shape would cost much more than the A-1 you're looking at.</p>

<p>If the purpose is to learn photography, dare I say it, get a digital camera. Instant feedback, no issues with film types, loading, developing, scanning inconsistencies that add different dimensions to that of learning composition and camera technique.<br>

<br />Get a film camera if you love the film experience. At an outing with friends and their families, I took about a hundred shots at a beer festival with a digital camera and 36 with a film camera ... everyone loved and wanted reprints from the film shots.<br>

<br />As for what an A1 is worth. All depends on how thorough the CLA was. I have a few A1s and sent two in for CLA, I got one back as the other died while trying to get rid of the shutter squeek. <br>

I also agree with the other poster - the T90 is a better camera for a similar price, but is larger. The F1-new is also outstanding in use. </p>

<p>The Canon FTb is a good alternative. It is even less expensive than an A-1 and apart from the meter, requires no batteries at all. It does not have the ability to mount a winder but if you are just starting out I really do not see that as much of a deterrent.</p>

<p>Also, if you are just starting out, it is better to learn to run the camera in manual so you develop a thorough understanding of the exposure basics. </p>

<p>I agree with Steven about the FTb an/or FTbn, especially because of its 12% partial metering pattern. These cameras are rugged and, most importantly, they will teach you photography in ways that an A-1 can only with some difficulty. The A-1 is so automation laden that it is not the best camera to use for learning photography. I know whereof I speak. I got started in photography by buying an AE-1, and followed up fairly quickly by buying an A-1, reasoning that if a little automation on the AE-1 was good, then a lot of automation on an A-1 was better, right? I hadn't a clue. Instead, what I found was that I was becoming a bit disenchanted with it all because of the automation. Then I discovered the FTb, and it was like a whole new world opened up before me. Not only was its 12% metering pattern perfect for shooting slides, but I found its match needle metering method for determining exposure to be simple an highly accurate. Through using that camera, I became thoroughly grounded in the three essential components of exposure: shutter speed, aperture, and film ISO, and their reciprocal relationships.</p>

<p>But if you have your heart set on an A-1, you could do much worse. The A-1 has proven itself to be a surprisingly robust camera, plus it has a nice motor drive option with the Motor Drive MA. However if you're leaning toward automation, I'd recommend the AE-1 Program over the A-1 for one particular reason: the AE-1P accepts user interchangeable focusing screens, whereas the A-1 does not. The AE-1P accepts the same motor drive options as the A-1 also.</p>

<p>Lastly, it seems the prices you've been quoted are rather steep. Here in the US, you can find A-1s on eBay for $40-50. Sure, the camera might need a CLA, but I have a local professional camera repair shop here who will do a complete CLA for $80. So that's $120-130 for a camera that should provide years of trouble-free service. Just FYI, you can often find FTb's for even less than what the A-1 sells for -- which I would still recommend, since you're interested mostly in learning photography.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I also recommend the FTb, but I would suggest trying to find ones closer to you, to reduce shipping costs. </p>

<p>http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Canon/Canon-A-1.html</p>

<p>says $60 to $70 body, and $120 to $140 with lens. </p>

<p>But it is discouraging to buy one long distance, where it costs more to ship back if it doesn't work than it is worth. </p>

-- glen