Monday in Nature August 29, 2016

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more details on guidelines <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">please read this</a> helpful information. </em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Monday Morning Greetings,<br>

Let's get started with a misty moisty morning, a perfect start to any day. It's still. The soft sounds are only broken by the call of a hungry young kingfisher to its unobliging parent. They fly off as light breaks through the mists. Light slowly replaces shadows, and a new day begins. That new day is Monday in Nature. Have a great one.</p><div>00e7I0-565118084.JPG.1bc3114170b265981eeec6815b8705a6.JPG</div>

<p>Maturing male Autumn Meadowhawk</p>

<p><br /> All meadowhawks start out yellow. The males turn bright red as they mature.</p>

<p>For a short while (a day or two?) one can observe the intermediates stages; individuals with orange and/or partially red coloration.</p>

<p> </p><div>00e7Je-565124284.jpg.6b0277b7872b5cc29e9be1546056d71d.jpg</div>

<p>I saw this rare leucistic Anna's hummingbird at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) Arboretum. A true albino bird would have red eyes and bill. A leucistic one has dark eyes and bill just like other Anna's hummingbirds, but it is deficient in pigment.</p>

<p>There is an article on UCSC's web site for more information: http://arboretum.ucsc.edu/news-events/news/leucistic-hummingbird.html</p><div>00e7Jh-565124384.jpg.67db1a1138ae528e09b9598397080277.jpg</div>

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm still walking at the border of documentary nature photography...<br>

This time it's Stachys sylvatica L. (Lamiaceae, Labiatae), I think, i'm no botanist ;-)<br>

English name should be: hedge woundwort, whitespot, or sometimes hedge nettle (according to Wikipedia).<br>

Hope you like it and exuse me for my botanical (un)knowledge.</p>

<div>00e7Jr-565125284.jpg.b3f0e2ab04b1adc76ab83e2e95046056.jpg</div>

<p>Taking a landscape photo to meet the MiN criteria is becoming more and more difficult these days; buildings, fences, power lines and, more recently, wind turbines always seem to get in the way. Here is a view, in IR to cut through the haze, untainted by the hand of man. The viewpoint is from a lovely 3.5 mile walk around the hill topped by Carreg Cennen castle in Wales.</p><div>00e7Ke-565127684.jpg.83b51a71e0627ea0339ed1ac8d8cac74.jpg</div>

<p>Great catch of the "backyardrunner" Bill! And that's a lovely IR shot Rick :)</p>

<p>My preferred way of staying out of "hand of man" trouble is to get as close as possible. Provided the feral subject doesn't bite/sting/trample the hand of the photographer man, of course.</p><div>00e7Ll-565131584.jpg.d92d3a5a424716109327157d76a37a31.jpg</div>