61,000 shutter count on used D700

liz_buchal

<p>Hi, I am considering buying a used Nikon d700 from a friend who is a professional photographer. He has let me use it for a few days and I am trying to check it out. He did not know the shutter count but I found it online by uploading a photo that it is 61,000. I have never owned a full frame dslr and wanted to upgrade from my little Olympus ep-2. I like that I can use an old lens from a nikon film camera I own and I like that it has live view, as I will be using it mostly for stop animation, art, but also for my product shooting for online vintage store. He had it on ebay for $950 and includes a 50mm lens, a grip battery pack, a few cards, box, charger and 3 batteries. It has been offered to me for $800. It does not have the flash built in or a cover for the lcd screen, however, I do not see any physical damage, nicks or scrapes and it seems to be functioning properly. (haven't tested it long). My question is a. Is this the best camera for my needs at this price and b. Is the price what you would expect in 2016? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Also agree with Jos; the D700 does, however come with a pop-up flash (it is not an external/removable attachment) so I'm not sure what you mean by your comment about your friend's camera not having a built in flash. Perhaps this is a typo?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>a. Is this the best camera for my needs at this price and b. Is the price what you would expect in 2016?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>almost any contemporary DSLR can be used for stop motion animation and product shots. a camera body by itself is just a camera body; you will have to buy lenses for it. that can get expensive for full-frame bodies, depending on what lenses you are buying. at the very least i would price out an equivalent (body + lenses) system on DX / APS-C. the D700 was an awesome camera in its time, and i believe the shutter is rated to 150k actuations, but at this point it is not near cutting edge in technology. what i mean by that is an entry-level DX body can be had for less $$ which has 2x the resolution of the D700's 12mp sensor. also if video is important to you, a newer body would be much better, as the D700 doesnt have a video capture function. i would still consider a D700 if: you plan to shoot in extreme low-light and/or have specific 35mm/FX lenses you want to use at their native focal lengths, but if we are just talking about a single 50mm lens, this appears not to be the case. also, the D700 comes with a pop-up flash. for that price, i would want a working flash unit. </p>

<p>I used the D700 for a long time, 2 of them, and it is a very good camera. The 12 MP is not a limit at all, or any concern. The pop-up flesh is operated by pushing the little button at the left side of the pentaprism cover, if you know what is a pentaprism. The D700 works with all earlier, non auto focus lenses, I myself still using them, sometime more then the new plastic modern, "has all" lenses. The 61000 actuation is not an issue either. The question is, what kinda work you planing to do and the lenses you my need. The pop-up flash useless anyway. You need a more serious flash unit or units.</p>

<p>Sorry, there is a pop up flash. :/ I am still trying to figure this camera out and I had to download a manual. I thought it was an option and did not see the button! But now I do, and it works. Okay, so I also have a 28-80mm lens from my old film camera that works on it! So I would be fine with lenses for now. I have an old flash unit that was with my nikon film camera that may work as well, but I don't really use flashes as most of my work is in studio with studio lights or natural light. I think I would enjoy the low-light capabilities, as I tend to favor "night scenes." But if it is just an "okay" price, I don't know… I am in love with the full frame lusciousness of the images compared to what I am used to--definitely miles ahead. There are some great responses to my post, so thanks to all of you! </p>

<p>Someone I know is selling a D700 with 125000 shots for $400. That sounds like a lot of shots to me, though I don't shoot all that many. I haven't decided to buy that one.</p>

<p>I think $800 is about right, especially with the extras. </p>

<p>You can buy older lenses for reasonable prices, and later buy newer ones. </p>

<p>Watch out for the old flash units, as some have too high a trigger voltage. </p>

<p>You might make a counter offer, though if it is a close friend you might not want to go too low.</p>

<p>These cameras can die at 10,000 or last to 300,000, you never really know until it happens.</p>

-- glen

<p>Yes, it has crossed my mind that doing business with friends can be tricky… But I am concerned about the life span because my stop animation projects, though short, are composed of at least 500 shots for 2 -3 minutes of film. And I shoot raw. </p>

<p>I'd test the flash unit if that's important to you. The D700 has been v. solid and reliable rig. Ha, even if it clunks out after 100K actuations, you could get new shutter installed for (priced years ago) appx $350....and again it will give you nearly new performance.</p>

<p>By then you might be sick of the 12MP technology....or perhaps not.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Don't stare yourself blind on the number of actuations. You cannot predict when a shutter might fail, there is only a statistical average where most of them will fail - in the context of a single camera, it doesn't tell you all that much. If the rest of the camera looks good and well taken care off, then 61k need not be a big worry.<br>

Live view on the D700 is sluggish, clumsy and in my view robs the camera from everything it's actually good at (=nice viewfinder, great AF, speed and handling). If working in live view is really important to you, I'd check a mirrorless system and an adapter for your Nikon lenses - they're simply much better at this. The price is OK, but for the uses you indicate, I think there's better options for the money. Given you already have an Olympus - considered the newer iterations of those?</p>

<p>Thanks again! Yes, I have noticed in my limited experimenting that the live view is not as good as the Canon Rebel that I borrowed for my last animation. Also, I would be using software for the live view, however, Canon cameras come with software for this basic functioning tethered to a laptop which is free! I tend to prefer the image quality and color from Nikon though. I would love to have a new D610 but trying to keep it under $800. Do you think I would be missing out on a lot if I went for a D7100? Oh, and as for mirror less, that is what my Olympus is and it is not supported on Dragonframe. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am concerned about the life span because my stop animation projects, though short, are composed of at least 500 shots for 2 -3 minutes of film.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>a d700 with 61k actuations will be at just over 1/3rd of its rated lifespan. but you can always have the shutter replaced when it does finally go. </p>

<p>After shooting a d7100 id never go back to dx unless i needed reach. I use ff only . Love the shallow dof and high iso ability </p>

<p>60k isnt a large amount. I know 2 wedding pros who had theirs replaced after 300k clicks. </p>

<p>If you need an on camera flash look into the excellent yongnuo 568/565 flashes or the amazing shanny sn600n. Ive sold my 4 nikon flashes and use 6 of these for weddings. On camera or off camera 90 bucks shipped. 1/3 less power than the sb910 ($550) and recycles faster at 1.8 seconds with eneloop pro black. Only thing that worries me asa pro is one card slot. Good luck </p>

<p>Thanks! I am now actually leaning towards the D7100, which was actually my first idea for my next camera. I am thinking the D700 is too much camera for me, a great workhorse for a pro, but I don't need that, at least not yet. I think I would rather have a bit newer technology and they are on sale now… Thank you all for contributing!</p>

<p>Liz - if you are going to be using a lot of live-view, I don't think the D700 is as good as the newer Nikons. In terms of "too much camera" I don't think there is a dramatic difference in the D7100 versus D700. They both have lots of controls, though the D700 is bigger and with more controls. I recently picked up a used D700 and I really love it. The images don't look dramatically different from my D300 but I am most happy to be able to use the large catalog of FX Nikkors on their native format. I think if you are a prime shooter, FX gives you a lot more options. There are tons of MF Nikkors, AF Nikkors and of course the new AF-S Nikkors. The older ones can be a great value. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hahaha too much camera. The d7100 has newer tech and its less of a camera...? Dx and ff. Just sensor size is different.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry Robert. But the DX sensor in the D7100 is so much better than the FX sensor in the D700 it is not even close. I own both and infact a D750, D800E, D7200 and the D7100 kills the D700. That little 12mp sensor WAS class leading once upon eight or nine years ago. </p>

<p>There are lots of failure modes for cameras, but shutter count is the only number you get.</p>

<p>But a high count might mean high usage on other parts that can wear out. I have a D70s that often forgets that it has a CF card installed, so I take it out, and put it back in again. Card contacts can wear out. (I now have a D200 which works great. I bought it with a very low count.)</p>

<p>But 61,000 isn't all that much, you just have to figure out a fair price. </p>

<p> </p>

-- glen