What's the deal with the K1000?

<p>I get what you mean Andrew- I wouldn't ever use a self timer on a film camera to take a picture of myself, I only use it because it locks up the mirror in a few SLR's that I've used so it makes it easier to handhold the camera at a few speeds/stops lower than I'd be comfortable with normally</p>

<p>I don't think they introduced the K1000 in 75. I think they introduced the K1000 after they discontinued the K series and started the M series and then they introduced the K1000 which used parts from the discontinued K series. I think it's 78 or 79.<br>

Les, look at the price list again the older screw mount prices were with the lens and the K series without lens.</p>

<p>I still have my K1000 from about 1978.</p>

<p>The mirror stuck in the "up" position once.</p>

<p>Then it fell out of my backpack, and tumbled 30 feet down the rocks and logs off the edge of the hiking trail, bouncing high into the air.</p>

<p>That fixed the mirror.</p>

<p>Still works.</p>

<p>As a Pentax user, if I were to be thinking about the K1000, I would likely shift to the KX, K2, or KM. They are still basic cameras but offer a bit more, like a timer and preview knob. You'd still get the same basic camera, but a couple of useful features and I'll bet those cameras are dirt cheap (maybe even cheaper than the "cult" K1000).</p>