Most modern 35mm SLR without a light meter?

Member69643

You have to go pretty far back to lose even a selenium light meter (though these days those cameras may not be

accurate). Minolta prided itself in having meters very early. PIty you're not a rangefinder person, it's easy to find one of

those which lack a meter (Leica M2 or M3 or M4).

I agree the Nikons are your best option. You need a modern camera with freely available changeable prisms because that

way you can avoid the metered ones.

<p>In the Nikon lineup, an F2 with plain prism would be the newest (1971) non-metered camera. However, you may object to the battery compartment in the base of the F2. The Nikkormat FS would be older (1965), but still reasonably modern.<br /> From Canon, you have to go back to the Canonflex models. The original Canonflex is from 1959.<br /> From Topcon, the quite rare Topcon RS is the Super-D (RE Super) without meter. Probable production less than 1000 units in 1962.<br /> Pentax SL was the last screw mount Pentax without meter, from around 1966 to 1968.<br /> The Konica Auto-Reflex P is a 1965 camera, so newer than Canon and Topcon, but older than the Nikon F2 and Pentax SL.</p>

<p>Not to be flip, but any SLR with an uncoupled meter that is battery dependent, just remove the battery. I have a Yashica FX-3, and a Chinon LC-M and a Vivitar SL 220. Any of those will work with no battery which disables the meter; and because it is uncoupled, the camera still works. But not my Minolta X-GM. Although it has a full-manual mode, it still needs a battery for the shutter (If I remember correctly).</p>

<p>Miranda Sensomat RS 1970-71. I'm guessing that may have been the last of Miranda non metered 35mm SLR cameras.</p>

<p>Nikon F was made up until 1973 (?) but not exactly modern either. Vintage = modern?</p>

<p>Kiev 17 1977-84</p>

<p>Zenit B model without meters were made for several years 1968-73</p>

<p>I suppose it depends on whether one requires a camera that does not have any trace of a meter, or simply one that does not show a meter or require it, or that has no battery compartment.</p>

<p>The Nikon FM-10 has a meter button on the front, but otherwise is not burdened by electronics, and has no meter needle. The Yashica FX 3 or 7 has a battery check button, but is pretty clean too. I think the champion of all, at least in terms of buttons, would be the Pentax K1000, which has no button or switch. There is a meter visible in the viewfinder, though. But the FM10 must come pretty close to the newest, since it's still made, I think.</p>

<p>You're unlikely to find anything that is devoid of electronics unless, like the Nikon F, its meter is self contained in a removable finder.<br>

One of the last 35 mm. SLR's to have absolutely no electronics in the body may be the Exakta RTL 1000. It came with a metered prism, but like the Nikon F all its metering was there. With the plain prism it's purely mechanical with no battery. But even that goes back to the 1970's, I think, as do some of the Mirandas that might also qualify. <br>

<br />But if I were looking for a really useful camera with no trace of electronics at all, I'd stick with a plain prism Nikon F. You can still find nice ones that work right, still get it fixed, still find lenses, and it does everything it needs to do. </p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>>>From Canon, you have to go back to the Canonflex models. The original Canonflex is from 1959.</em></p>

<p>Actually, you want the <a href="http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/film51.html">Canon FP</a>, which was introduced in 1964. It was an 'F' series Canon, later than the Canonflexes, and took FL-series (automatic aperture) lenses.</p>

<p>I've got one for fun, but I use it infrequently. I put maybe a roll through it once a year. It's an austere, simple little camera with a cloth shutter. All clockwork; no electrons need apply.</p>

Much as I love Minolta, I used to have a couple of XKs and they're not the must fun to use. And the Contarex, though a

beautiful camera, was mostly made to be a laboratory instrument. As a user's camera, it makes the XK look like man's

greatest achievement of camera ergonomics. Nice lenses though.

Maybe you should be asking yourself which camera allows you to ignore the electronics -- which one works in manual the

best. It would certainly open up your options quite a bit.

I think the F2 with a DE-1 plain finder. The DE-1 pretty much disappeared with the

introduction of the Photomic Finder, so they're relatively rare and expensive, but still

readily available on fleabay. The DE-1 is an excellent finder, and coupled with the

F2, makes one of the best looking SLRs ever, IMO.

<p>Hi Patrick. I have a non metered Nikkorex that is built like a tank and takes F mount lenses. See it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkorex<br>

Mine has a focal plane shutter and absolutely no meter. eBay listing here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkorex-F-SLR-Film-Camera-Body-only-/301751856969?hash=item4641cfef49

Randyc