Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Aug 24 , 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Try to minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">details on guidelines please read this</a> helpful information. </em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Greetings,<br>

There's a day just for photography. It was last week on the 19th. Yes, I blew the opener last week by missing this, but it's not too late to make up the opportunity. World Photo Day is a relatively new thing, and according to the website, it's purpose is "...... unite local and global communities in a worldwide celebration of photography." Sounds like what we do here every day, just with higher res images. <a href="http://worldphotoday.com/">The website</a> has very nice photography and it's worth a look if you haven't seen it.</p>

<p>Here, we celebrate nature photography from around the globe. Fortunately we don't wait for one day a year. Nature is full of greens. Small carpets of this liverwort were draped over the edge of a stream bank. I know very little about these bryophytes, but I like to look at them and think they are lovely. Our day to celebrate is, of course, on Monday in Nature</p><div>00dSHY-558171684.JPG.e19ccd563ffc77af766d850b704526dd.JPG</div>

<p>Great observation, Laura! Here is a ruddy darter (<em>Sympetrum sanguineum)</em> dragonfly resting on a twig which it kept returning to. At first it would not allow me very close but eventually must have decided the monster with the camera was not a danger. </p><div>00dSHh-558171984.jpg.293dc51b86e95e83ba78acc2c152c523.jpg</div>

<p>Well last week I posted a photo of a wolf at at kill in Yellowstone NP and I promised to show the infamous bear known as "Scarface" that took over the kill. Not much green but a promise is a promise! Again this photo was taken at an extreme distance with a 500mm lens + 1.4x converter and severely cropped. All about the content in this case. Sadly a short time after I took this photo an experienced hiker who was employed at the park was attacked, killed and eaten by a female grizzly and her cubs. The Mother was captured and destroyed and the cubs sent to a zoo.</p><div>00dSHo-558172684.jpg.2a4f7e93c9f1f7c7ae264a2e78dcc15e.jpg</div>

<p>Beautiful greens! Gary, so sorry to hear about the sad grizzly story.</p>

<p>Here is a freshly formed Monarch chrysalis. So looking forward to see the Monarch butterflies emerge from their chrysalises several days from now, to complete their metamorphosis life cycle.</p><div>00dSIk-558174784.jpg.58c59ed420f96ee09bae66877ce7a399.jpg</div>

<p>Sunflowers greeting the sunrise on a smokey morning in Idaho Falls. It has been very smokey lately, mostly from fires in Northern California and Southern Oregon. Yesterday morning, while walking the dog on the same hill, I could not see the far hills shown in the photograph, and could smell the smoke. </p><div>00dSIo-558174884.jpg.7307bb1a0c01b838e7797bb8ea2b2ece.jpg</div>

<p>I posted this earlier in the Nikon forum so some of you may have seen it already. These are Tiger Moth caterpillars eating the milkweed I hoped would bring back the Monarchs. Nature taking care of business.</p><div>00dSJO-558175184.jpg.4a9ce1275abb68e05e4c6d133387a1a6.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Nature is full of greens. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes it’s true but… in summer only. It’s the end of August and the fall is around the corner. The nature will change its color dramatically. But by now let’s enjoy the remaining summer days, sometimes hot and muggy but still full of colors.</p><div>00dSMS-558180384.jpg.17eb96433561d5c608725d27df4f8fb4.jpg</div>