Travel photography

gregg_kawakami

<p>Of my MF cameras, the Yashica-D TLR and the M645j come to mind.</p>

<p>The Yashica-D is light, simple to operate and has nice sharp lens. Waist view slows you down and makes you smell the roses. The downside is the shutter and film advance is not synced, so you need to be a creature of habit not to skip the odd frame.</p>

<p>The Mamiya M645j with motor wind and mono pod will get you shots as good as you can get. It's not as heavy as the pentax, but is not that light eather. My forearms are good. I have a choice with the waist or prism view with this.</p>

<p>I brought both with me on a cruse last fall and enjoyed them both. Much better IQ than the 35mm I usually take. Both will strike up a few conversations with fellow travellers. One guy was almost in tears over the Yashica-D, as he owned one as a child. He was happy to pose with the camera... :) </p>

<p>Mamyia 7II. Light weight, fabulous lenses. Easy to hand hold. I can carry a very light weight tripod for night shots. </p>

<p>The camera body and three lenses fit in a shoulder bag. No aching back at the end of the day. Plus the 6x7 negative is big enough to contact print for Jewel like prints. Fun for platinum. </p>

I like square format therefore mine has to be square. Besides, being a glasses wearer, I prefer waist level viewfinder. I

have two cameras which fit the bill: Rolleiflex and Hasselblad.

I take the Rollei when I want to travel light and for more casual shooting. If the purpose of the trip is photography I take

the Hassy with a couple lenses and backs for color and B&W. I would typically use a Velvia, Provia 400X and a 400 ISO

black & white in 3 backs. This quickly becomes heavy, though, no gear for hiking ;-)

When I go on business trip I take a small Fuji X100s digital.

To develop on the "why" question. The Rolleiflex is a love affair I guess. Sturdy, relatively light, a joy to use and it takes incredible pictures. I went to Hasselblad as a complement (not replacement!) when I wanted a bit more flexibility, in particular with different lenses. The price of Wide and Tele Rolleis on the used market, let alone new, quickly convinced me that (unless being a millionnaire) it was not the way to go. Got a complete Hassy kit with several lenses, backs and accessories for way less money than a Rollei Wide on the used market. I love it - you can do things with an SLR that are more difficult with a TLR. However, were I to sell all my cameras, the Rollie will be the last to go.

Bottom line, choose a camera which appeals to you and feels good in YOUR hands.

My 2 cents,

Etienne

<p>Fuji/Voigtlander 667 and 667W as a pair, or just 667 to go as simple/quick, compact, smooth/quiet, and lightweight as possible while giving me stunning images and a viewfinder that rivals those of my Leica M6's. </p>

<p>Of equal importance to the above is a great aspect of this camera that fits so well into the broader meaning of travel - its ability to "disappear" and yet remain conveniently available to me whenever and wherever I need it. It reminds me of its presence only minimally, and yet I can whip it out on the fly and go with its reliable auto exposure mode, which allows me to quickly "freeze and reframe" meter readings to my liking, before quickly folding it and moving on. </p>

<p>The 80mm lens is a surprisingly versatile FL on its own, and is complimented perfectly by the 667W's 55mm. There are admittedly a few occasions when I miss something wider (a 40mm would be great), but the 667's virtues, in total, are so compelling and consistently equate, for me, to a more satisfying experience overall (both process and results-wise) than I typically realize with a multi-lens system. At one time or another I've used all of the major SLR and RF MF systems so can speak to this directly (albeit personally), realizing of course that others experiences will vary. </p>

<p>My other compact "travel kit" consists of two Leica M6's, with 28 and 50mm lenses permanently mounted so I can quickly grab either one. The Fuji/Voigtlanders follow this model perfectly, are almost as quick, and weigh almost the same in total. The 667's slim profiles allow them to conveniently stow under a winter jacket in sub-zero temps. so that they can continue to work reliably in these conditions.</p>

<p>Another real bonus is that this camera is equally at home taking its time, which as a view camera user recently turned 60 I truly appreciate. I can hike up to some of my favorite waterfalls in the nearby White Mountains (NH) - with one or both 667's, a pentax digital spot meter, a couple of ND filters, and my lightweight Feisol CF tripod - I can take my time with the cameras great manual controls...and have every confidence that I can come away with images that can rival those of my LF images...at least when printed up to 16x20. </p>

<p>While I can still shoulder my 5x7 LF outfit and hike some distance with this, I know that over time this will become more and more difficult, and that I will, likewise, realize and even greater appreciation for my 667's. </p>

<p>I remain adamant in my passion for the Fuji/Voigtlanders, and am so very surprised that they have not achieved a greater following.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I carry a medium format camera for scenery when traveling by car, so weight and size is not a deterrent. The camera I use is an Hasselblad 555ELD (motor drive) which is electrically compatible with a CFV-16 digital back (no sync cables required). The core lens kit consists of a CF-40, CF-60 and CFI-120 Makro, with other lenses, 205TCC body and backs held in reserve. The total weight, not including the tripod, is just under 40 pounds. The "core" kit in a shoulder bag runs about 15 pounds (plus tripod).</p>

<p>Many times I'll wander more than 100 yards from the car, I'll take a camera and a single lens, usually the 60 or 120 Makro, and a tripod of course.</p>

<p>Next Summer, who knows? I bought an used Leica M9 last Fall, which has more resolution (despite the smaller format), better color, and weighs ounces to the pound. Yet I like the precision and the leisurely pace of Hasselblad photography. What can I sell to offset the cost of a CFV-50c?</p>

<p>I have: C330 with 55 & 135 around Super Isolette (75) pushed TMY & a fist full of filters. No, I don't go single camera. 75mm isn't my fav focal length but sometimes needed and the Agfa is lighter than a Mamiya 6. - C33(0) stuff is nice to shoot, especially with chimney finder & was the only thing I could afford in 1990 and seems pretty reliable. I want to shoot, not look through filters. - Weight? - "bearable", notice the C33 250 & 80mm I didn't list. Lens quality: sufficient for my film choice on 8x10"s.<br>

Dream(s): Would love to dabble with an old Makina with rollholder (for groups & scenes) & 35mm back for portraits.<br>

Something digital? - Pentax are the only ones offering a travel DSLR so far and I am not drooling over it; missing the quality* & darkroom joy gain film MF offers over film 35mm and feel too tall for prism finders too.<br>

Better camera? - I was impressed by the Mamiya 6 when it came out. The 7 is surely an even better choice but "shoot what you have as good as you can" shall work for me for a while.<br>

(*= "Quality gain" is an apples & oranges thing. I look at 1980s consumer zooms vs. Sekors in front of pushed TMY and see & want it. - If another guy plays available light desperado on TMX behind Leica's latest & greatest in broad daylight, he might get pretty far. - No clue if the same film could surf on the VR/IS edge too.)<br>

@beginner: Make up your mind what YOU want & need for what exactly. - <em>My</em> choices are obviously not very recent. Super Isolette & it's "Iskra" clone seem the lightest MF RFs ever build, but they are no workhorses like Mamiya RB & mine is family heirloom. Back when I grabbed a pair of MF cameras for a vacation I was strolling with my parents, which shouldn't involve tripod usage. I like BW, lived in a wet darkroom and was never skilled enough to print through a film according to guess work with bearable results.... So MF (only) seemed just right for my touristic happysnapping back then.<br>

What is your intention? Do you want a somewhat portable MF only kit? Thats something I don't really recommend. MF slows you down and that limits your oportunities. Its also expensive to shoot so maybe all other options; i.e. 35mm slides or digital or color prints from 35mm negs are a cheaper way to give people an impression of the place you travelled to.<br>

These days I would most likely carry half assed digital* along too, if it was a real trip. I'd preserve MF for the super scenic shots or to tell a story inside a bigger one. - Even if the cost of film doesn't bother <em>you</em>; I fear you might hit the wall back at home. - 5x12x12 negs (<br>

If you are no darkroom dweller or similar, avoid 6x6 gear! The square format usually ends slightly cropped. If you are planning to shoot color negative film and get proof prints you 'll be happier with anything else.<br>

Make up your mind about automatized MF cameras; there is sluggish AF for the 645s now, which might be faster than slightly visually challenged me flipping the magnifyer in and out of my chimney finder.<br>

If you are traveling on your own with your tripod give primitive additional MF a thought too. There are folders with uncoupled rangemeters floating around for litttle money. They weigh close to nothing anbd take great landscape pictures and posed group shots too. How about viewcamera MF for you? <br>

(*= By "half assed digital" I mean anything like outdated 6MP DSLRs or sluggish MILCs with consumer / travel zooms or such. - Nothing (still) fancy and surely a bulk / weight concerned package. MFT might be fine for the job.)</p>

<p>Thank you for all of the wonderful responses! I tend to walk a lot when I travel. My travel kit consists of a Yashica Mat tlr, Pentax spotmatic f with 28mm, 35mm and 55mm lenses and a Nikonos II with a 35mm lens for rainy days. I have been looking into a MF slr...or possibly a Mamiya tlr...Weight and portability are factors. I never travel with a tripod...so the camera needs to be easily handheld.</p>

<p>Mahalo!<br>

Gregg</p>

<p>Greg, can I assume, from your "Mahalo," that you live in Hawaii? If so, which island?</p>

<p>I was lucky enough to have family living in Paia, Maui (they've since moved to China) and spent some time there in Feb-March of last year...what an amazing and beautiful place! We basically circumvented the island, spent a few days in Hana and the rest in Paia. Some great waterfalls, beaches, and amazing plants...and lots of sea turtles and whales! Did a few "touristy" things also - like attending the Old Lahaina Luau (plus got the full "private viewing" treatment at the Peter Lik gallery in Lanhaina). The only "disappointment" was getting up to the summit of Haleakala volcano only to be completely socked in by fog. Oh well...just gives me an excuse to return I guess! </p>

<p>I found my Fuji/Voigtlander 667's with small tripod for B+W, plus a compact digital for color, an ideal combination for the island - but I would've loved to have had my old Nikonos along! At any rate, good luck in sorting out your "travel outfit" needs! </p>

<p>Agree with Gregg and John regarding the Nikonos. Good travel MF cameras need to be seconded. Salt water environments, rain and the occasional snowstorm are all good reasons not to stop photographing. Yesterday I went out into a windy snowstorm (alternating between fine and large snowflakes) with my recently acquired mint second hand Nikonos; it and its 35mm lens were the only solution.</p>

<p>" I have been looking into a MF slr...or possibly a Mamiya tlr.."<br>

I use two Pentax 67s when I travel and I do bring a tripod. I shoot tropical scenes professionally, so what I use may not work for your purposes. I chose the Pentax because I wanted a field camera and felt their 645 was too small for my customers. I shoot landscapes so I wanted the 4x5 aspect ratio of the 6x7. The system has 30 optically different lenses to choose from, so that helped in my decision many years ago. The cameras can be lightened by using the waist level finder (the prisms are heavy).</p>

<p>This is another of those "simple" questions that aren't so simple -- as in -- "it depends!" </p>

<p>I may take a Perkeo II or Ercona II, 6x6 and 6x9 folders. Or next up, a Yashica Mat 124g. Or if serious and mostly getting around by personal auto, my Bronica SQ-A, a tripod and a few lenses. With any I will pick between my Gossen Digisix and a Sekonic L-508 depending on how big and how many pockets I have! I have gotten some nice results, usually B&W, with all of them and usually add a digital for color -- my Canon G15 or my EOS40D and a lens or two. </p>

<p>Last excursion <a href="http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/ny_2014_monochrome">I used the 124g</a> and was quite pleased with the results; got two in a juried show.</p>

<p>Fujifilm GF670. Dual format (6x6, 6x7), very accurate metering, sharp optic, crystal clean viewfinder, light. And it’s very compact (well as much as 6x7 camera could be compact) – when folded it easily can fit in your 3 season jacket pocket. </p>