Current Price for Bulk Film Loaders

erickpro

<p>I was looking at doing my own TriX bulk loading and read that on a 100' Bulk Film Roll that costs $100 USD I can get about 18-20 rolls of 36 exposures. If I do the math that is roughly $5 USD per roll. IF you look at current film prices, a roll of TriX 400 is about $5 USD so where are the savings right now? Did I get something wrong or at this moment is useless to roll your own film?</p>

<p>You get about 17 1/2 rolls of 36 exp. from a 100' roll of bulk film. I like rolling my own because I may only need a short one or because I like doing it myself. Tri-X has gotten pricey which I hate to see so I'll be doing more HP-5 than I used to. What replaces Tri-X that is currently cheap? Nothing.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>Rick, everything can replace TriX that is currently cheap......but I don't like TriX.... :)</p>

<p>But for a fair comparison......I rate a bulk roll at about 30 rolls of 24 @ 1 roll = 3 ft.</p>

<p>Based on B&H....</p>

<p>1 roll = 4.35<br>

100' = 99.95 = 3.33 per 24 roll.</p>

<p>Still a significant savings.</p>

<p>What you have to consider is that 100' roll, not too long ago, was half the price and the roll of 24 might have been a few percent cheaper. The reality is Kodak doesn't really want to sell you bulk film anymore.</p>

<p>I still have some 100' rolls of PlusX I bought at $45 when prices were more normal and I knew supply was going to run out.</p>

<p>I used to pay $20 to $30 for 100 feet of Tri-X but that was in the 70s, and got 19 36-exposure rolls out of it. (Maybe I cut my leaders a little shorter than Rick.) Newspapers I worked for mostly used bulk and mostly Tri-X but some would use HP (probably HP-4) back then or Neopan, whatever was cheapest. You couldn't tell the difference on newsprint.<br /><br />I think Peter is correct that Kodak isn't interested in selling bulk film anymore. Honestly it's surprising that they are still selling Tri-X at all. Newspapers, magazines, wire services etc. were among the biggest buyers but that market evaporated when news photography went color, long before digital. Most bread and butter professional work today -- weddings, portraits, news, advertising, etc. -- is color and digital. Consumers don't shoot film anymore let alone b&w. There's obviously somebody still using it but I suspect the market is mostly advanced amateurs and fine arts shooters. At this point we are lucky to get it in whatever version Kodak wants to give us, and who knows how much longer they are going to be around. A 100 foot roll of Tri X costs $99 because nobody buys it and nobody buys it because it costs $99. Easy to see where that's headed. Sorry -- didn't mean to go down the death of film route. But this is an example of the death of 1,000 cuts along the way there.</p>

<p>Yeah Craig I used to roll mine just a bit long. A motor driven f2 makes an awful noise if you run a little short. Peter when I say nothing I mean that for me anyway, Tri-X is unique, nothing else looks quite the same and it's a look I like. I also use HP-5 but I get a slightly different result. I agree though that there are several films out there that can do the job. I also think you are right that Kodak doesn't want to sell bulk film any more. I'm honestly not sure what they are trying to sell now. I do know that my local camera store is busting me for $6 for a 24 exp. roll of HP-5 so I'm definitely rolling my own.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

When I started I was shooting Fuji 800 and 1600

and very few times 3200 for journalism. I didn't

have to pay for any of that at the time since it was

provided. Now that I have to pay for it myself, I

wanted to find a cheaper alternative so I started

shooting Agfa Vista 400 but was looking into

shooting better film again. I plan on shooting lots of

black and white and develop my own. Already have

the equipment since those film days. I plan on

shooting lots of film while my M9 is in Germany.

Probably lots of Portra 400.

<p>For me, I shoot a lot of 12 (and less) shot rolls. Bulk rolling is preferred. I tend to take the camera in hand for a single purpose these days, so shooting an excessive amount of film to get it is rare. Day trips and walk-abouts are usually handled in MF these days.</p>

<p>The last few purchases have been 400' rolls and I will likely continue to do that. It's not that much cheaper than 100' rolls, but I can get the film I like (DoubleX, N74+, UN54). Another advantage is the 'batch' of film stays more consistent as it comes off the same spool for longer periods of time.</p>

<p>TriX that I remember in the 70s is more like HP5 of today. It's fame then was that it could be pushed, and we did a lot of that. Not much else. People remember the high contrast results and not the abuse we gave it... ;) If you wanted what we rave about it today, we shot PlusX or PanatomicX (when we could get it). I wish my lab skills were as good then as they are now. I might have had some images worth keeping. Oh well.</p>

<p> If you want to Bulk load and save the secret is..... Get 400-1000 feet of B&W movie film in B&W these days. It is not like the days when we got XX for 3-6 cents a foot but You can still do it the you have to learn how to break down huge reel to fit the loader. It is not like the days of Short ends that we used to get But It is new and one can said on it recently. George Lucas.. :D That was the name on the can and it was covered in sand and CGI :-)<br>

I am not kidding to really enjoy a price cut you need to get large roils then make them fit in the daylight loaders. Kodak only sells one emulsion that way in B&W and it is of all things one of the oldest ans most loved.<br>

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Production/Black_And_White_Films/index.htm</p>

<p>My last Optima 400 (Agfa) C-41 bulk is in the freezer. When Agfa Photo went in bankruptcy (2005) it was Eur. 9,- for 30,5m/100ft exp. 2007 (when you cut straight it is 18 films) . It is coming to an end now.</p>

<p>Last week I was at Fuji in Tilburg. They are selling out production materials via an auction. I just found there a box of 256 Fuji Superia 100 films. Even not expired.<br>

What do you think about €0,43 for each 35mm film. You can not even think about bulk loading .....</p>

Foma and OrWo are selling bulk film for about almost half price then Ilford/Harman. At least the mentioned prices in W.

Europe main land. Compare FP4+/Delta 100 with FP100/200 and OrWo Filmotec UN54. Or HP5+/Delta 400 with FP400

and OrWo Filmotec N74+. Even Rollei RPX-100/400 are much cheaper hence these are also Harman products. And I am

not talking about cheap Arista EDU films but premium Foma quality Fomapan Professional B&W films.

When going to Filmotec 122m/400ft assy the distance is even 50% in price difference. Kodak double X is not very cheap

overhere.

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I have noticed all of the same things that have been mentioned here. I think bulk loading to save money has become mostly a thing of the past unless using things like Ultrafine Xtreme. I guess one could save some money in one sense if they only needed a couple of exposures on a given roll. </p>

<p>If you want to use the occasional short roll of Tri-X but don't want to pay for 100' just buy a few 36 exp. rolls. Take a roll in a darkroom and attach the leader to an empty film cassette that has a bit of leader still attached, In total darkness roll about half of it into the empty cassette and take up slack until cassettes are almost in contact. Turn on lights, cut leader and trim leader for easy loading. You will lose a few shots but when I've done this I usually get one roll with about 15 or 16 shots and another with around 18. Don't expect to get two 18's though. I've done this when trying a new film so I can perform tests without buying a bulk load or sacrificing a long roll. If you're going to shoot a lot of photos, though, go with the Ilford.</p>