Anyone has experience/knowledge about "3 legged thing tripod?

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm looking for a new tripod that's light but able support fairly heavy weight for my lens & camera. Of course, carbon fiber, but they're very expensive. I accidentally came across Aluminum Alloy & Magnesium Alloy "3 legged thing" brand tripod, for example:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903238-REG/3_Legged_Thing_3lttony_3LT_X5A_Tony.html<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903231-REG/3_Legged_Thing_3ltdave_3LT_X2_1A_Dave_Tripod.html<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/924534-REG/3_legged_thing_3ltx0a_x0a_tim_compact_magnesium.html</p>

<p>I'd like to have 3 questions:<br>

1) Has anyone heard/used the "3 legged thing" brand tripod before? Please share your thoughts/experiences.<br>

2) Isn't it "too good to be true" with just 2-3lbs tripod that can support 26lbs+ load?<br>

3) I know Manfrotto is Italy's, Slik is Janpan's, etc., where's the original country of 3 legged thing tripod?</p>

<p>I've been using Manfrotto & Slik for years. I love and I trust their qualities completely. It's just that they're expensive. Seeing this 3 legged thing tripod, very light, support big load, and fairly cheap price, I'm thinking.... Please share your thoughts/experiences. Thanks.</p>

<p>Supporting a static load under laboratory conditions is one thing, providing stable vibration-free support, particularly in a wind, is another. Furthermore, simple physics indicates that the lighter the tripod, the higher the center of gravity of a camera + tripod combination and the more likely this is to blow over in a wind. "very light, support big load" is only part of the story - in other ways, there is no substitute for mass in a tripod!</p>

<p>Looks like an over-cooked campaign to sell yet more Chinese-made(?)knock-offs. Have two full-line Manfrotto dealers 15-20 minutes away. Besides, who do you believe: the guy in the bird suit and his wobbly tripod or your own eyes?<br>

This stuff isn't exactly giveaway priced. Huge amounts of bomb-proof used Manfrotto gear avalable.</p>

<p>Just noticed this, I've actually got one of their tripods,a Frank model, which is a pretty good one for outdoor stuff with my D800, nice and stable and still fairly light weight too. As far as I know their tripods are British, whether that means designed here and made in the far east I'm not sure but they are not knock offs by any means, that is rather unkind to say the least!</p>

<p>I saw someone with a 3 Legged Thing tripod about 1.5 years ago whilst taking a few pictures along the Caledonian Canal at Fort William. I liked the look of the tripod and the user was more than happy with it, very positive. I did some research online, looked into prices etc and then found one near mint example being sold on eBay, I won the auction and really liked the tripod, quite different in some respects to my previous Gitzo but so much lighter to carry around.</p>

<p>Not all good though, took it out about 3 weeks ago to do some landscape photography in Glen Coe and towards the end of a bitterly cold day, one of the legs dropped straight out of its socket! I contacted them, posted it back, expecting to be getting a hefty repair bill! But surprise, surprise, they actually gave me a brand new tripod, which is I think the later mark 2 version. Customer service like that is pretty rare these days, I'm very happy and they actually have a sale on just now on their new tripods which I think come with a 5 year guarantee, so prices are not at all unreasonable for what is a pretty high quality product range. You can of course look on eBay and maybe pick up a bargain second hand example there but I'm happy to recommend this company without any reservations at any rate.</p>

<p>One trick to counterbalance lightness and consequent wind or vibration diminution of performance is to hang a bag to the bottom of the centrepost or to the bottom of the centre and into which you can place local rocks or gravel or other weight (say, 5 or 10 pounds) to steady the assembly. Not perfect (what is?), but one way to compromise useful lightness with a heavy tripod that you may want to leave at home.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>hang a bag to the bottom of the centrepost or to the bottom of the centre</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, I have been prepared to do that but never quite had to do it. My light tripods are typically up to the challenge. If not, and the wind is blowing too hard, I hang onto them and assume that they might get blown over. I've only had a couple go over, and the worst damage that I have suffered (so far!) was the destruction of the battery grip with a quick release plate on its bottom. The camera and lens escaped injury, as did the quick release plate.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>