Sensia - to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question.

<p>I bought a small lot of expired 35mm slide this week. It was only because there was a roll of EIR in there, the price was right, and I truly love that film. The other 5 films were Sensia. 3 rolls of 100 and 2 of 400 neither of which I have ever used before. This is a wildcard purchase as the seller didnt buy it new, so who knows wheres its been living this past 10 or 15 years. Still, I am prepared for the risk with EIR as its so rare now.<br>

I am wondering whether to shoot the Sensia myself or not, and ask if anybody has any advice? Firstly, from what I have read Sensia seems to be not as good as Velvia though before discontinuation was similarly priced. These rolls are about 10-12 years old (Expiry average is around 2004).<br>

Should I add a stop due to its age? Having said that, it can be best to underexpose by one stop with slide in some circumstances and of course there are narrow latitude margins. If I use it and don't instead sell, it would end up being for landscapes I would've thought. </p>

<p>I cross process all my slide film. I like the wonky color shifts. Speaking of Astia. I friend recently gave me what 35mm he had left stored in his fridge and many rolls of Astia was one of the films. I can't wait to use that and cross process it. All expired of course.</p>

<p>I have about 10 rolls of E100VS from the same batch that are about that old. They have been kept cold since I got them, but maybe not before.<br>

Last month I tried one and it came out just fine, so now I have more confidence in the rest.<br>

It is about $10 for E6 processing around here. If it is a lot more than that, I would be less likely to try them.<br>

I suspect the 100 is more likely good than the 400.</p>

-- glen

<p>Sensia is excellent for skin tones. Totally different from Velvia. I buy it expired these days and had no problems with it so far. Just shoot it at box speed or a third stop under (if you use it for landscape) and project it. <br />Tried crossprocessing once, never got the hang of it. Found it a boring gimmick.</p>

<p>OK gentlemen, I thank you sincerely for your interesting and helpful comments.<br>

This has made a difference to me because I was looking to ship it, but now you've convinced me that these rolls are worth shooting myself.<br>

E6 isnt an issue for me. A local man has his own lab does it for just under a fiver a roll here in the UK and so he has become a friend. I scan and tidy at home. </p>