Using a monopod with a big lens

girishmenon

<p>Someday, I'd like to get myself a state of the art tripod for wildlife photography. But at the moment, the costs are beyond me. I need to support the Nikon 500mm AiS lens that weighs 3 kilograms. I have a Manfrotto 190DB and Benro A350F that I use with lighter lenses and they work great. Both these tripods claim to be able to handle up to 5 kilograms, however when I mount the 500 there is always a slight movement of the vertical column (though I never extend it) and that movement becomes obvious in the photo at 100%.<br>

Necessity is the mother of invention, right? I have a Manfrotto 679B monopod that's been sitting in the cupboard since 8 years! It can take up to 10 kilograms. My primary questions is, do you have any experience with using the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head on a monopod?<br>

I also have the Manfrotto 488RC0 ball head and 410 geared head. What's my best bet? I don't have any more money to invest. </p>

<p>On the tripod, you might try hanging a weight on it to increase its steadiness. Hollywood photographers have been doing this for years...attaching 5-10# sandbags at strategic locations to improve stability. I use a milk jug suspended from the center post on my tripod filled with sand (or water when I'm travelling). I've used a monopod for long/heavy lenses for bird photography also..with and without a ball head. Although more mobile and less weight, I've never become really comfortable with a monopod and long lenses, although bird photographer Doug Herr has produced some incredible wild bird photos mostly using a monopod with his long lenses. Gimbal heads are for tripods, not monopods.</p>

<p>Actually, the Manfrotto 393 U mount (is it a gimbal?) somewhere in the Manfrotto propaganda is <em>said</em> to be for monopods, although I confess I use it on my "iron-works" tripod.<br>

However, I have used a monopod and a Manfrotto 222 with my 600mm mirror lens and my 100-400mm with considerable success.<br>

Although some use a monopod without a head, directly mounted to the lens; I personally prefer the extra flexibility of the head +monopod.</p><div>00cjJ3-550036984.jpg.46ba7bce758303eb06c8206afa61c239.jpg</div>

<p>I use a monopod and ball head all the time with my 80-400 for birds and other wildlife for the reason that JDM mentions (flexibility). (Admittedly this is not as heavy a lens as you're talking about, however.)</p>

<p>I use a Manfrotto Monopod with one of their (Manfrotto) "Quick Action Grip Ballheads" (I can't remember the model number but its capacity is somewhere around 11 lbs.) with the 100-400 And I find it very convienient when the Tripod is not feasible when shooting Wildlife and Birds. Or, anything else for that matter!</p>

<p>I like the Quick Action Grip on the Monopod although I loosen up the balls friction so I can move the camera around without having to actually utilize the grip. I also loosen the friction on the 100-400 tripod collar so that it will rotate fairly easy.<br>

This all helps especially for BIF shots with the monopod when the Birds or shot is higher than the level of my head. Gives me the ability to point at about any angle.</p>

I don't like using ball heads on monopods to support big lenses. The lens already has a rotating tripod mount and all you

really need is a simple single tilt head. Manfrotto, Really Right Stuff, and Acra-Tech all make good goods - or if you want

to get fancy and shoot animals and things that move erratically in three dimensions, a gimbal head like the Wembley and

Benro are also worth trying out. I've seen, played with, but not used the Manfrotto cradle and what impressed me most

was it's bulky clunkiness.

• 5 months later...
<p>Hello everybody!I will ask here, instead of starting a new topic.My setup is a 500mm f4 P lens on a monopod.I believe the monopod is a Gitzo, old used model, but works perfectly and is very, very durable.It came with a Manfrotto 234 tilt head.With some practice, I found this setup very usable for perched birds and not bad for BIF too, also weights not much and good for hiking.The question is, I am considering a gimbal head, Beike bk-45 (chinese clone of Wimberley WH-200), what do you think, will it be better to use it with the monopod, or I need a steady tripod only?Other purposes for the gimbal head are a wooden box, on top of which the gimbal is going, for laying on the ground type of shots, and to mount it on my floating hide.</p>