Canon EOS 17-40 USM L lens manual

<p>Hi, I purchased a canon EOS 17-40 EF USM lens manual. The box had manual on CD .<br>

<br />Has Canon stopped including printed manuals with lenses? I find printed copies more useful: easier to read on photo trip, and also more durable than CDs ( I live in a place near the sea and Relative Humidity is generally above 70 -80 % ).</p>

<p>Where can I get a printed manual for the lens?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

I would begin by asking myself why

should I carry the manual for a lens.

That particular lens has three

"controls": the AF/MF switch, and the

focus and zoom rings. What else do

you need to know? Once you know

how to change a lens, you will change

every lens exactly the same way. Once

you set your camera to avoid auto

focusing while you manually rotate the

focus ring, you know that the

configuration is on your camera, not on

your lens. Then, why bother carrying a

lens' manual?

Or am I missing something?

<p>You can get a pdf for the manual off the disk or at http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_17_40mm_f_4l_usm#BrochuresAndManuals , and then you can always print your own, in the worst case.</p>

<p>Now that I think on it, I didn't get a paper manual with the very complex TS-E 17mm either, just a flimsy, folded sheet with 'quick' directions in a dozen languages. :(</p>

<p>I always have found that new Canon lenses include a manual as a smallish booklet, and the last Canon lens I bought was in August last year. So I'm surprised you didn't get one. Having said this, I'm not sure a manual is necessary - it would take about 1 minute to read the salient points in a lens manual and you would probably know them already ("align red dot with red dot on the EF mount", weatherproofing, focusing, depth of field scale, filter size, IS on and off (if applicable), focus limiter (if applicable), AF on and off switch. I can't imagine it would provide much reading pleasure on a photo trip!</p>
Robin Smith

<p>My 2003 17-40L shipped with a paper manual. It's in a dozen languages and contains a few sentences of instruction involving the lens and several paragraphs of legal and safety disclaimers. I can't imagine anybody needing to read to manual unless it's their first experience with a DSLR or EOS camera and lens. However if you're unwilling to upload the PDF to your phone/iPad you can convert the PDF to a JPEG, name it like a Canon image file--IMG_1932.JPG--and store in a folder. You can then pass your time waiting for good light by reading about location of the MF ring, avoiding water immersion, etc., on your LCD.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>You can read the manual <a href="http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300003562/02/ef17-40f4lusm-im3-eng.pdf">here</a> and see what you are missing. The only thing that any Canon user, or any camera user for that matter, might find useful is that there is a rear gelatin filter holder. Otherwise, it's zoom and focus rings, MF/AF switch and a hood.</p>

<p>Some people collect boxes, manuals and original packing materials. Not sure why but maybe they sniff them and get a nostalgic rise (the fondle factor is pretty low for paper objects). I sold a mint box for the 24-105 4L at FM for $25 plus shipping. I saw a box for the 50 1.0L go for $100.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Well, if the importance of the manual is for later resale (which I can understand, people being people), you don't really need anything more than the CD. If Canon didn't supply a printed manual to you, then there's no reason you should have to supply it later to someone who buys the lens from you used. In fact your including a home-printed manual in the box with the lens might even diminish that new-box experience.</p>

<p>Puppy, there's a lot to be said for that nostalgic rise, depending on the item. However, the item would have to be pretty old for that. For instance, I came across my Gossen Luna Pro manual the other day in a pile of manuals, and I got a nostalgic rise. I wish I still had the material for my Spotmatic F and Takumar lenses. Many years earlier, it was also very cool finding a Kodak Instamatic 77 at a garage sale (for $2) in its original box, with flash cubes. This was my first bought-for-me-for-Christmas camera when I was a child. And words can't express how utterly cool it was to find a delivery inspection check list card tucked deep into the sun visor pocket of my 280Z a couple of years ago, probably not seen by human eyes or touched by human hands since it was placed there in 1977. The manual, warranty book, and other items are of course also really special to me. Some people even have their window sticker, which is perhaps the brass ring. :-)</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I did not expect so many responses- some humorous . I saw the pdf file - the filter holder , extension tubes , closeup tube information was useful.<br>

<br />The rest is quite common for Canon EF lens. On paper manual vs CD , I have a book that is more than 80 yrs old , which is still in good condition. I had to throw some of my audio cd aways within a year or two due to fungus. High humidity with tropical weather is a factor.<br>

<br />Anyways, doesn't look like much to miss from the manual. thanks for the link</p>