Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta A 531- My Last Folder

<p>I don't like pocket folders much. Maybe they don't like me. The handful that I own have never found their way into my regular shooting rotation. While cool looking, they are bit too fussy, fiddly and overall too slow for my purposes now. They look down at me from the shelf with a disdainful yet hopeful monocular eye. It's not the cameras, it's me. As I have aged, I have grown more impatient with some early camera technology. While still fun to noodle around with, I prefer other cameras for regular use. When I picked up this Super Ikonta A, I knew this was my last folder.</p>

<p>But what a cute little folder it is. Wonderfully small for a 645 format camera, it really does give you medium format in a pocket. It seems the smaller format film stays a bit flatter in the gate than some of my 6x9cm folders and less susceptible to “bellows suck” upon opening. Mine is a later version with a Compur-Rapid shutter and single, shielded ruby window on the rear door. Though quite squinty, I am grateful for the on-board rangefinder. The build quality is quite good. </p><div>00cjQ1-550057684.jpg.5c77407c68fa011a46a5d3cef89d6d23.jpg</div>

<p>The lens is a capable, coated Tessar that does a good job. Still, it's a folder and preparing the camera to shoot, taking a picture and readying the camera for the next shot is a dance that seems to pull me away from the moment I want to capture. I'm sure if this were the only camera I owned my handling would be much better/ quicker. But, today, I have a few other choices in picture making tools. I've been spoiled by high tech niceties like self cocking shutters, precise film advance and focusing screens a guy with eye glasses can easily use.</p>

<p>Seeing some recent posts here on this camera made me realize that, although I had mine CLA'd over a year ago by Clarence Gass, I have yet to shoot a single roll with it. I figured before the camera becomes permanent shelf royalty, I should at least shoot a test roll with it. These are a few images from that roll of 120 Kodak Portra 400.</p>

<div>00cjQ2-550057784.jpg.737b6b21f2e516f0846f955d15fd5e11.jpg</div>

<p>Jennifer</p>

<p>This camera is a real gem. It's nicely made, compact and cute with a good lens projecting on to a decent size piece of film. The Super Ikonta A's have rightfully earned their place in photographic history and with dedicated users. I, however, am not one of them. I have moved on but I will continue use this camera as a demo model for interested students, and, well, it does look cool on the shelf.</p>

<p>Thanks for looking. </p><div>00cjQB-550058484.jpg.70ba06ae44c38b67a72cda007fbaddfe.jpg</div>

<p>I've always heard that the Albada finder on these were very dim, almost to the point of being unusuable. Did you find that to be the case? I've been considering buying a Mess Ikonta, in 645. I want a pre-war uncoated one though. I love folders. :-) Yes, they are slow to deploy, but what's the hurry?</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

FWIW the albada find on my Super Ikonta A is quite clear and reasonably bright. However it is impossible to see the

bright frame while wearing glasses, so framing isn't all that precise . Still, the small size and highly quality more thank

make up for that shortcoming.

<p>Now that <em>is</em> cute... Rather like you,<strong> Louis</strong>, I tend to consider folding cameras more objects for display rather than use, much as I admire their ingenious designs, and often their great build quality. It's just that, if one is seriously into creating images on film, there are more effective and user-friendly ways of doing it. Life is just too short to struggle with elderly design, other than in an experimental and appreciative mode. Having said that, you have some lovely images here; those are both fine portraits, and "Eagle" and "Wet Leaves" demonstrate the nice punchy quality of the Tessar lens. Thanks for the post!</p>

<p>It looks great! - Is the focusing done by turning the wheel in front of the rangemeter part at the lens? - I like folders too. - I think I can live without self cocking shutters and just need a working mechanical film counter in everyday use.<br>

I never blamed folders' readying procedure. OK if you walk your cameras just dangling from straps, you can go for a lenshood instead of lens caps at all, but digging a SLR out of my backpack takes longer than just opening a folder.<br>

If I wanted to shoot rabiedly I probably wouldn't go for MF. While my crank wound and cocked TLRs are more convenient for shooting the 3rd or 4th roll /day than a knob wound Agfa I really appreciate folders for their portability.<br>

I wish somebody made a folder with portrait lens, smaller and lighter than Technika 4x5" with rollholder.</p>

<p>Beautiful presentation as usual Louis, and pleased to see that you have given the smallest Ikonta a second chance.<br>

I have many, way too many folders, and even though I use them on a regular basis, I agree that they can be an acquired taste. A big problem can be the alignment of the lens standard or film flatness, giving results that can disappoint.<br>

I have found that the various Ikontas to be the best of all the folders and very rigid, with the little A the best of them all. True, the Albada finder can fade, but if they are ok then the vf is quite useable...luckily mine is fine.<br>

Thanks for the post...hope to see more.</p>

<p>Lovely camera 16 on 120, great shutter and lens but I found the albada finder annoying because my ever present eyeglasses would hit the finder causing it to bend forward and down creating a composition error. I finally sold mine but still have Super Ikonta C 6x9 format 8 on 120 and my Super B 12 on 120. </p>

<p>Great presentation of the camera and the photos displayed show the capabilities of the camera in good hands.</p>

<p>I'm still hording three medium format folders - a Perkeo II, a Super Isolette and a Agfa Record III. Unlike a grab and go compact 35mm camera, they do require added deliberate steps to use. The latter two Agfas have rangefinder patches in the main viewfinder window, so only one eyepiece for both.</p>

<p>With that said - it is the scale focusing Perkeo II that gets brought out when someone comes by with their modern medium format outfit just to show them how small a medium format camera can be - but when it comes time to load some film and go, its Agfa Super Isolette that's usually my first pick, followed by the Record III.</p>

<p>Best Regards,</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

<p>Well if it's such a burden... you can pass this one to me.. Excellent results BTW. Sure there are others less fiddly ways to expose a picture, not least among them; a self cocking shutter. Since I shoot such a variety of old cameras . I accept these trials and tribulations as par for the course. I've got a 532/16 Super Ikonta that now unfortunately has a jammed shutter. Like many, I find of the folders from Zeiss have the best bellows and the most rigid standard. I too have 520 Ikonta ( no RF ) but mine leaks light badly on the one ruby window. As you admitted; it is the finest MF "pocket" camera you may encounter. I would like one like yours .. very much .. build quality etc . Again... very fine photos results love that first one. My results are ..well ...as the Germans say "Besheiden " ( meek , self effacing) Thanks for the post</p>

I throught I'd have trouble with cocking the shutter separately, but the double exposure prevention mechanism on

my Super Ikonta 531 is full-proof and prevents mistakes. The only things I dislike are not being able to see the VF

frame and not being able to use Ilford film because Ilford's gray numbers are really difficult to see through the red

window.

<p>ive well over 30 normal 120 folders<br>

a Kodak 3a and 616 and a 1a all 120 converted<br>

they all work but ive still to put a film thru most of them.<br>

One thing about folders is that are a lot easier to use than my plate cameras with vintage roll film backs ,swapping the view screen for the film back an all.<br>

120 Folders work well alongside my rb67 or bronicia or digital cameras in the same bag as they are compact<br>

don't take up much space and have nice negs<br>

brilliant photos by the way<br>

regards andrew</p>

<p>I too have and sometimes still use my 532-16. But Zeiss is not the only source of compact and sturdy fish in the sea.<br>

<br /> What about the very compact Pearl II 6x45 folder from Konica with very nice rf/vf geared to a <em>unit focusing</em> Hexar?<br>

<br /> Speaking of unit focusing and very sturdy, what about the Weltur - much smaller than a 532-16 - with a nice rf/vf and unit focusing 2.8 Tessar or Xenar (the latter a curiosity since it is a five element - four group lens) that with a built-in sliding mask in the VF and a now hard to find 6x45 film mask gives a SI more than a run for the money? I have two, one with each lens. They are particularly nice with B&W film since the uncoated lenses with hood allow for a very wide range of tonality.<br>

<br /> I now wear glasses and use all of these without any problem.</p>