An alternative method to B/W film scanning

<p>When infrared cleaning does not work (silver based B/W film) we can still use the wet scan before having to resort to slow, tedious retouching in Photoshop. <br />In the following video I explain how to do it with a dedicated 35mm film scanner, also getting smoother scans and a perfect focus throughout the image.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks for your interest.<br>

I was unable to find a specific scanning fluid (Kami or similar) in my area and so I used a solvent that has application in Fine Arts which is essentially the same, <em>Odourless petroleum spirit</em>.<br>

It does an excellent job for much less money and with normal precautions can be used with full confidence.</p><div>00chvi-549785584.jpg.58e5f9b29ddf15fd1ccd7cb031f151a0.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>"... also getting smoother scans and a perfect focus throughout the image..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good point!</p>

<p>The 5400 has a very limited depth of focus. I've tried (dry) scanning with glass Gepe slide frames. Clear glass imparts Newton rings, and the texture of Anti-Newton glass shows in scans (and doesn't fully quell Newton Rings either).</p>

<p>Indeed, Mendel. I think Newton's rings are virtually inevitable, unless you scan without glasses (with possible lack of flatness) or with wet mounting. Scan fluid creates a thin film between celluloid and glasses, so that all form a single optical block. That eliminates Newton's rings, hides most scratches and defects, and smoothes grain.<br>

I actually got the slim glasses of my "frames" from GEPE slide frames of 60x60mm. This thin glass (0.8 mm) and the fluid is all there is between the photographic emulsion and the scanner lens.<br>

Don't be worry, Harry, I highly appreciate my Minolta 5400. Working carefully the risk is remote. Even in the event of a loss of some fluid, it evaporates in a few seconds without trace.<br>

Thanks for your responses.</p>

<p>This is a way cool idea! Compared to the "standard" methods of wet scanning (for example the after-market kits that are available for some dedicated film scanners), this approach would seem to be significantly less messy, less fiddly, and ultimately more convenient.</p>

<p>I find myself wondering if larger 120 format "sleeves" would also be practical, for use with medium format scanners such as my Nikon 9000. Aside from any considerations of improved scan quality or mitigation of dust and scratches with B&W film, I am thinking what a boon it could be for achieving film flatness with these scanners.</p>

<p>Hi Jeff, I encourage you to try it. Unfortunately I have not a Nikon 9000 and I don’t know exactly how it woks. I scan my 120 film in a flatbed Epson.<br>

The biggest problem is, I suppose, if you cannot work with the film vertically. I don’t think size it's a problem. I finished these days, a "slide frame" that supports a strip of six images on 35 mm and works just as well as the one seen in the video.<br>

The ultimate solution for all cases would be a glass frame that could easily be sealed and unsealed on all sides, fluid lossless, that could be used in any position. But I think that requires more powerful means than we can have at home.</p>