What is your proudest photographic achievement of 2013?

dan_south

<p>Great achievement, Lex. I truly mean that:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>We need every man, God knows. You must take what I have told you, and learn from it, as a man does. <em>(Lee takes Stuart's sword and replaces it in its scabbard)</em> There has been a mistake. It will not happen again; I know your quality. You are one of the finest cavalry officers I have ever known, and your service to this army has been invaluable. Now... let us speak no more of this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My own achievement is merely self-indulgent. I have been from Glorietta Pass in New Mexico, to Fort Fisher in North Carolina, and from Gettysburg, PA, to Andersonville Prison in Georgia. Also a passel of archaeological sites over the same ground.</p>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Matt, Any chance you might have visited the Quarry Lakes Regional Park this year "having some fun"?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope, that wasn't me! :-)<br /><br />But I suppose it could have been. It's easy for people to leap to the wrong conclusions about this sort of camera platform, so a big part of this for me is to educate folks when I'm out flying. So far, pretty much everybody is intrigued, fascinated, or amused. Haven't had (that I know of) any on-the-spot paranoia about it. That's a big part of the responsibility.</p>

<p>Happy New Year Everyone! I spent 10 days photographing in Colorado in August, but I'm not really impressed by the images I shot there. I am most proud - maybe "moved" is a better word - with the photos I shot documenting our church's vacation bible school this year. I was able to catch some moving, personal moments as moms dropped off their kids. These images mean a lot to me, but are not on line. With the Oly E-PL5, I was able to move among the hundreds of kids mostly unnoticed. My most important / useful piece of equipment? My brain, such as it is.</p>

<p>Hmm, well, curiosity got the best of me. I took a look at the P.NET gallery (12 pics) and the home page of Lex's nemesis.</p>

<p>I'm sure that the images there seem quite special to the photographer, but I didn't see anything worthy of an absurdly condescending attitude. Or even a mildly condescending attitude. Or any attitude whatsoever. </p>

<p>The three days that I spent shooting in the <a href="http://www.dansouthphoto.com/p614228827">Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest</a> were meaningful. I had planned the trip for years after hearing that California considered closing the park (budget constraints). And then the welcome center burned down. I wanted to shoot the Bristlecones while there was still time (an odd constraint for trees that live for thousands of years).</p>

<p>I'm most proud of my <a href="http://www.dansouthphoto.com/p658994937">New York - City In Motion</a> project, where I deliberately did things "wrong" in order to create the effects that I wanted (slow shutter speeds, diffraction-prone apertures, failure to correct perspective distortion, distracting elements moving through the frame). I ran all over the city for months shooting landmarks while letting chaos unfold before the lens. It was a blast.</p>

<p>Gear: the D800/E. I spent a lot of time learning how to get the most out of it, and it never disappointed.</p>

<p>After sixty seven years wandering this earth, I have finally learned that you don't have to push the shutter button on everything you see. In the last year, the number of shots I have taken is down considerably and the percentage of keepers up to over 90. This is quite an accomplishment for me and also a lot less time in front of the computer.</p>

Al said it first:  learning not to take so many pictures is my proudest achievement. <br>

<br>

Having decades of experience, I know the kind of pictures I like to look at and to take.  That "kind" shifts as I discover new subjects or new ways of looking at old ones, but, still, I don't need to take so many shots, either digital or film.<br>

<br>

Equipment: Hasselblad 500 C/M remains my favorite camera but the Oly E-PL5 does pretty good, too.  --Sally<div>00cHDG-544580384.jpg.3326fd25327e13bcbaf1c365b0e78448.jpg</div>

Peter, thank you for assembling your Top Ten of 2013. It's an inspiring idea and an excellent collection. (I love the UK, by the way,

especially when the weather is agreeable.)

The poor fellow being thrown from the horse - ouch! I've seen such things in polo matches. It's a rough sport.

<p>I guess it would be stepping in to save a relative's wedding shots from the hands of a less than fair 'pro'. He decided to duck-out after the ceremony without explanation (probably for a more lucrative engagement he'd double-booked) and I had enough gear with me to save the day. It was a stress-free affair not being on the payroll and has parlayed in to 'much' free legal work in barter (an interesting story in itself...).</p>

<p>Bravo, Gup! Roberto, your style of out of focus images is interesting and I encourage you to develop it, possibly also using variable out of focus throughout the image, using sections entirely in focus versus parts out of focus, applying intentional blur (computer done) in certain parts of the images, etc. Some of these might involve layering of more than one shot of the subjects. You seem to give a lot of importance to ratings and I would simply suggest you to ignore them and look only for more in-depth substantiated comments or critiques, as they are often much more precise, and valuable.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>(I love the UK, by the way, especially when the weather is agreeable.)</strong><br>

What about the other 11 months?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Every day in the UK, there's a bit of magic waiting to be discovered. It's there in the low angle of the light and those amazing "changeable skies." I look forward with great anticipation to exploring the Isles further.</p>

<p>Simon said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Getting one of my pictures hung in Nikon UK HQ in London was pretty good, I'm still waiting for a shot of it hanging so I just have this at the moment.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow! Nice achievement! Beautiful image! What a neat place to be hung, too! Kudos!</p>

<p>I'm especially proud of the growth I have experienced in both the craftsmanship and business aspects of producing black & white fine art. 2013 was a landmark year for me for shows, sales, commissions and this year looks to be even better. The notion of leaving digital anything far behind really puts a smile on my face these days, truly a dream come true...:-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>What piece of photo gear was most important to your work in the past year?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Over the course of this last year, I managed to purchase back-ups for my entire system (much of it, used), piece by piece: bodies, strobes, batteries, AC inverters, etc. A huge investment, but I finally have redundancy for each key component.</p>