Take pictures in low light environments

<p>Hi,<br>

I want to learn great techniques of taking pictures in low light environments. Places like auditoriums, stages, stadiums, etc, where you have to sit far away, and/or the place is so big that using flash (either bouncing or direct flash techniques) won't work. Do you know any good web-sites, books, etc, that teach about this?<br>

I search many books, and of course, they all say good things about them, hard to choose the right one. Thanks.</p>

<p>Fast lenses, high ISO, slow shutter speeds, tripod.</p>

<p>There is no right way. You'll have to choose which technique(s) you can/will use depending on circumstances. When I shot theater productions, I invested in an f/1.2 lens to get the most light-gathering power, but naturally had depth of field issues.</p>

<p>If you are far from the subject, you will have difficulties because there are few affordable fast telephoto lenses, and many (most) large venues don't allow tripods.</p>

<p>Keep shooting and trying and seeing what works.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>There is a nice photo.net article on concert photography which you might find helpful (<a href="../learn/book-excerpts/focal-press/concert-and-live-music-photography/clubs-bars-and-small-venues/"><strong>link</strong></a>) even though it calls for flash. It has a reference to a book that might be even more helpful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Fast lenses, high ISO, slow shutter speeds, tripod.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree to all that but substitute "practiced hand-holding technique" when tripods are not allowed.</p>

<p>Victor, there are some venues so large that you can't use flash, but they're quite unusual. The question becomes one of how powerful the flash and how many -- also whether you're PERMITTED to use flash. Even if you don't think you can use flash, it never hurts to learn about it. Google the "strobist" blog, and go through the "lighting 101" tutorial. It's well worth your time.</p>

<p>I also agree with Jeff. There's no substitute for being up close. Long lenses aren't as fast as shorter ones, and they cost a mint if they're even moderately fast. Also the closer perspective makes your photos more interesting.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your advises!<br>

My question is generally for any low light environment.<br>

To be more specific for my immediate needs, at work, I sometimes have to take pictures of speakers at a big giant auditorium. The ceiling & the room is way too high & way too big for bouncing light. And most of the time (99%), the room is packed, so getting close to the subject isn't an obtion for direct flash.<br>

My second need is to take graduation pictures for couple of my friends' kids. I'm sure you know how big those stadiums are, flash isn't the option here, again, and I have to sit far away.<br>

As it is new for me, I don't expect "perfection" but at least good looking pictures. Any advises is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Unless you can figure out how to defy the laws of physics, there is no solution that does not involve you changing something in the equation. You either have to figure out how to get closer or buy (or rent) huge (and hugely expensive) telephoto lenses with large apertures. </p>

<p>[[My question is generally for any low light environment.]]<br>

<br>

There is no "general answer" that can provide a solution for every instance. Many low-light situations are different, requiring different tools. You need to evaluate before hand, whenever possible, and make decisions based on those evaluations. Do you need fast shutter speeds to freeze action? Can you use a tripod? Can you use flash? Can you use very high ISO's? What is the intended output? Large prints? Web images? <br>

<br>

All of these questions (and more) go into the decisions regarding hardware and technique for low-light photography. There is no "generally." </p>

<p><em>I sometimes have to take pictures of speakers at a big giant auditorium. The ceiling & the room is way too high & way too big for bouncing light. And most of the time (99%), the room is packed, so getting close to the subject isn't an obtion for direct flash.</em></p>

<p>You go to the front before anyone else has entered the room.</p>

<p>Getting good photos of speakers from a vantage point in the middle of a large auditorium just isn't possible with any reasonable equipment nor is it necessary. I photograph speakers and discussions in lecture halls and I am usually in the first or second row at a position where my activities cause minimal disruption to the audience.</p>