If you only had one prime lens for all occassions . . .

catcher

<p>The first lens that cross my mind was the EF 35/1,4L but its too big and heavy and every combination of suitable bodies are to heavy and large to serve as a only go everywhere camera.<br>

So, the Nikon 28/2,8 AI-s is much smaller and lighter. It can be mounted on a Nikon 800E and serves as a FF 28mm lens or as a 42mm in DX mode ( FOV wise). It can also be used on a NEX 7 with an adapter.<br>

It can be used on the new Olympus new M4/3 16 Mpix as a 56mm lens. At last, it can be used on the Nikon V1 with an adapter as a 109mm lens.</p>

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Interesting responses. I normally carry around a 24-104 f/4 on the 5D. I find that to be a flexible lens. (I add the 70-200 f/4 if I'm taking more than one).</p>

<p>But two things in particular I enjoyed about only having the 50 1.8 this time at the zoo with family. First, it's much lighter than the 24-105. (There are, of course, lighter zooms, though perhaps not optically comparable). </p>

<p>Second, and more interestingly for me, it forced me to see the shot that was 'there' and not the shot that I <em>wished </em>were there. What I mean is this: I assumed going into it that I would regularly find myself missing all sorts of possible shots because I only had one focal length. No doubt there's some truth to this. I couldn't zoom in to get a tight portrait shot; and I couldn't zoom out to get a wider contextual perspective. But, it did not follow that as a result <em></em>there was<em> no </em>shot available. In other words, I never found myself putting the camera down because I did not have the correct focal length. Rather, I found myself finding the shot available to me, and was never left wanting. </p>

On a FF cam, 35mm for what *I* shoot.

I don't understand how that would useful for what and how *you* shoot, whatever that might be. With you

not knowing what *I* shoot, and how I go about that.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Michael - in terms of HCB - cropping I am only aware of two shots - the most famous being Derriere la Gare St Lazaire which he cropped to remove a railing (It is the man jumping the puddle). In terms of almost - I mean just that - I believe the vast majority of his images (especially those from the Magnum era were taken with a 50mm lens).<br>

Harry - there is at least one 45 mm lens although it is F2 not F1.8. It is made in Japan but designed by Contax and is a very impressive lens. It is of course the Contax G series 45 F2</p>

<p>Oddly enough for most of last year I only used a Voitlander 15 f4.5. The catch is that it was on 3 focal length modifiers. Film (1x) , Sony NEX 5n (1.5x), and Olympus bodies(2x). More recently I've added a Konica 50 f2 and voigtlander 35 f1.7 to the mix, but the majority of the keeper shots have come off the NEX 5n with the Voigtlander 15 f4.5. So I would have to say if I only had one lens, the 15 f4.5 would be it. </p>

Aaron, oftentimes I do that on purpose.

I leave the house bringing just one body and one lens.

I mix between 17-40, 50 or 100. (also have a 28 and a 70-200 but I tend not to use those as standalone lenses unless I

use the 28 on a crop)

When I bring just the one lens my mind focuses on that focal length until I only see shots for that length.

My shooting is pretty intuitive (when shooting for art/fun) and this approach works pretty well for me.

However when shooting 'events' I either bring more lenses (like the two zooms or the 28 and the 100) or I just bring the

A 50 is a nice compromise between wide and long to me.

By the way, my most used two lens combo for fun/art is the 17-40 plus the 100 macro.

Enough rambling. All the best,

Matthijs.

<blockquote>

<p>Still trying to understand how this thread could be useful or helpful to anyone...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It isn't. It's just filler fluff. That's why I responded before falling asleep for the night. <strong>:)</strong></p>

<p>I'm still trying to figure out why someone who can't figure out why the thread is useful is bothering with it (and returning to it more than once!) at all . . . :)</p>

<p>On a more serious note, I didn't ask the question for advice or 'usefulness' but just out of interest. It interests me (and perhaps others). I don't think any further justification is necessary for something like this. </p>

<p>For the 7D it'd be the 24 f1.4L. On the 5D2 it'd be the 35mm f1.4L. That said due to how I use my cameras I'm not sure I've ever had the 35mm on the 5D2. I've had the 16-35mm f2.8L II on (at 35mm) on the 5D2. The lens usually on the 5D2 is the 50mm f1.2L. I use a 35mm on my Leica M, fyi. BTW, for those who *must* have their zooms and cannot comprehend one camera plus one prime lens -- you should try it sometime. It's amazing how well it works. Good luck, all, with your photography.</p>

<p>I have to agree with a lot of you who have already posted:</p>

<p>I have the option of zooms, but I love when I leave the house with only a single focal length in tow - for "inspired" photography. It allows my mind to see only one focal length. When I am able to do that, I don't go crazy thinking about the millions of possible photos my zoom could get that would be "interesting".</p>

<p>Instead, I am able to focus on what would make an interesting photo with my 50mm FoV... and I come home with much "better" (in my opinion) photos.</p>

<p>With that said, my 50 1.4 is the one I would choose, but I have yet to try a 35 or wider prime - I use my 17-40 for that range at the moment... and after seeing how many people like the 35, it may inspire me to tape my 17-40 on 35 for a day and see if I can be inspired.</p>

<p>This is on FF</p>