Where do you get your b&w chemicals from?

<p>I'd like to start shooting and developing my own b&w film. I plan to develop and scan rather than setting up a darkroom because my home is to small for one. I'd like to know where you get your chemicals from. Do they have to be in powder form so they can ship UPS or USPS? Can you buy liquid chemicals online? I can get everything locally but the cost is very expensive so I'd like to go the mail order route if possible. Also, who do you order from? I'll need everything from a changing bag to tanks, reels, thermomitor and all the miscellaneous items. Does anyone make a b&w developing kit? I last developed Ilford film 12 years ago in a class I attended at the local community college but I've continued to used b&w and until recently I could get it processed locally for $3.00 a roll but that service is no more.</p>

<p>You can get liquid and powder chemicals and supplies from B&H or Freestylephoto shipped to you. I don't know of any good kits, but the supplies are pretty basic, you can look around online, figure out what you need and make your own list.</p>

I got Hypo Clear and Indicator stop bath sent to me in the last week. Not sure how much stock they have or whether its

still produced. There used to be a place on the web that was a forum for folks mixing their own chemistry but I don't

remember where it was. There is this book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Darkroom-Cookbook-Third-

Edition/dp/0240810554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341864867&sr=8-1&keywords=darkroom+cookbook) on

Amazon.com.

I'd use the regular chemicals unless you're really on a budget or can't get the mixed stuff anymore.

<p>B&H is more restrictive than Adorama in what chemicals they will ship. Freestyle is the most generous of all. But some chemicals may cause HazMat shipping fees -- strong bases are very incompatible with aluminum airplanes.<br>

If there is a Calumet or other physical store where you live, please buy your chemicals there an support them. Their prices are very close to B&H, but not exactly the same. You'll pay sales tax, but save shipping.<br>

Hardware -- consider buying used on eBay. You can get better made than what's available new, and cheaper. Like a 3 inch Weston Miroband thermometer. Or Nikor reels and tanks. Or Kodak stainless steel film clips. Or a Burke and James changing bag.</p>

<p>I use a two-chemical process. D76 developer which is easy to come by in sealed envelopes from just about anywhere. The second is Photographers' Formulary <a href="http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-163/TF-dsh-5-Archival-Fixer/Detail.bok">TF-5 Archival Rapid Fixer</a>, available from source or from B&H and such.<br>

With this fixer (made for paper, but works fine with film) no stop bath is necessary. It has no hardener, but I have not found this to be a handicap with modern films.<br>

It's not that a stop bath is such a problem, but I always say "simplify".</p>

<p>try for someplace local first.<br>

But Ultrafineonline ( photowarehouse<br>

and freestylesales.bix<br>

Both sell generic d-76 and fixer.<br>

Powdered chemical keep for years<br>

it is only when they are made into liquid <br>

"stock" solutions " that the use life is a few months.<br>

The Covington hc-110 page shows how one bottle of this developer can last for years<br>

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/</p>

<p> </p>