Would you join a photo club, if their pictures were awful?

<p>I posted previously about how I seem to have lost my edge with portraits, and I got a few recommendations to join a local photography club. I don't live near a big city but I searched and found a photography club in the next city over... I checked out their website. All I'm going to say is, I went through about 10 screens of pictures from their members and all their pictures look as if taken from point and shoots with no consideration for technique or background(s), or it's pictures of the president wearing diapers. The newsletter had a photoshop technique's they took a picture of an old couple, cut them out and put them in front of a space scene with the ship from Star trek zipping through it looked like an 11 year old did it. </p>

<p>Maybe I'm a stuffed shirt, but it seems I take my photography a whole lot more serious than that club. Think I would learn anything? The cost to join is $50, and looking at their site I think the $50 better spent on a couple portrait books instead. Thanks</p>

<p>I'm with Matt on that one. My local club is nothing buck hack landscape snapshooters, and if you didn't photoshop the distracting tree out of your image, they belittle you. They have their "darlings": old timers who are simply revered for being in the club for so long that they forget what good photography looks like, but they let them judge. </p>

<p>On the other hand, I have a friend who is exceptionally good (national G photog) who participates with everyone in his club. Very motivational. Stands right along side of his lesser members, and loves criticism. I think we all have to give something back, and if they won't let us give, then we have to find other outlets.</p>

<p>I'm thinking about starting a film and print club, for those who remember what that is.</p>

<p>I don't think camera clubs are generally very productive as to photographic development and sometimes counter productive. I do think that small groupings of photographers with like interests and intent are productive.</p>

<p>Clubs generally have contests with set criteria/ways of judging, which pushes everyone into a pretty narrow band of the type of work that is done--people seem to want to win and winning becomes somewhat formulaic--like a canoe on blue water with yellow foliage while the man in the canoe wears red flannel (actual quote when I checked one out 30 years ago!). A small group of serious photographers can share work and explore what the photographer is doing or is intending to do with their work. It is more discussion and support than a large group can give and it can foster growth in ways clubs just can't.</p>

<p>I would add that even these small groupings can cease to be of much benefit as people grow in different directions, reforming a new group is often needed.</p>

<p>It might bring you down, but then on the other hand I was reading an interview with Martin Parr the other day who was pointing out how bad photography is great because it helps make sense of the good stuff.<br>

Sometimes its good to wade through those zany camera angles,gross colours,hackneyed subjects etc if only to remind oneself what it is you do like. Also it can be incredibly affirming to teach and pass on knowledge.<br>

Lastly you don't know how the club is run. The guy who has elected to be in charge of the website might be an ass and not representative of everyone there, you never know. I'd at least go along for just one evening and then make up my mind.</p>

<p>Andrew, I take the opposite point of view from Martin here, I think looking at bad photos--and hearing how great they are--can adversely impact someone. (What works for someone more advanced doesn't always translate well for those who are developing)</p>

<p>But, you bring up a good point. I do think it would be worthwhile to go to a meeting and check it out. Try to find the more serious folk and make a connection. You may find that they do this for the social nature of it but have a smaller group that meets to discuss more serious things. In small towns it can be hard to connect with other photographers, see if that can be a benefit here. (I was in LA when I formed my first group--most of us met at a workshop or knew the others from other workshops we had attended--no one knew anyone from their daily life before this--need to give yourself a chance to meet others that might be in sync with your needs and interests)</p>

<p>Form/join/participate your own club courtesy of the Internet/WWW:</p>

<p>- Facebook (960 px limits now, a few weeks ago -- a nice upgrade!)<br>

- Google+ and a Photo Circle<br>

- photo.net (the ultimate)<br>

- Flicker or Picasa Web<br>

- a weekly circulated newsletter with new contributions each week (plug to Joe Leotta here)</p>

<p>The only thing these sorts of virtual clubs miss out on is hardcopy -- actual printed portfolios and discussions around and about the "print" itself. Everything you can possible learn in on the Web. </p>

<p>Dunno -- I joined a local camera club and found it was mostly about the contests. Photos were OK -- not casual snaps, for the most part. There were a couple of other members whose work I admired, and we had a couple of interesting conversations about technique when standing in the parking lot after meetings. However, for the most part, the club wasn't very helpful/useful/interesting, and I ultimately didn't renew my membership.</p>

<p>I have learned a lot from my local camera club in the last 20 years. But, I am lucky, it is one of the better clubs in the country. Find one that has a national affiliation, like PPA or PSA. Then they have standards of excellence and don't just show snapshots of their grandkids.</p>

<p>Also consider that you can learn by teaching others at the club. It will force you to really understand a subject/technique.</p>

<p>My club:<br>

<a href="http://www.suncoastcameraclub.org/gallery.html#Electronic_Images">http://www.suncoastcameraclub.org/gallery.html#Electronic_Images</a> </p>

<p>Since joining my club some 12 years ago, I have been fortunate to have made some good friends who are incredible photographers. My club has gone through changes over the years, the most major has been the mass migration from film to digital. Since this "evolution", we have acquired many less-experienced photographers. We are a happy group. Once a beginner, now - I know this is hard to believe, I am the "Mentoring Chair".</p>

<p>I've been in 3 photo clubs over the last 5 years and each was/is very different. It might be worth checking out a meeting to see what they are like in person - not all clubs post great stuff on the web. The Photographic Society of America ( http://psa-photo.org/ ) has listings of clubs as well as activities through the society as well. </p>

<p>We have two local camera clubs and all both of them seem to do is have contests. I'm not into photo contests. I think that photography, like art in general, is subjective and that contests are a meaningless waste of time. It just turns me off to joining either of them.</p>

<p>In your case if you feel that this club has nothing to offer you, joining makes no sense. If however you would like to join a photo club, it is probably a good idea to go to a meeting or two.</p>

I'm not sure what a photo club is. I imagine that it's a bunch of well-meaning gear heads who congregate regularly to

discuss gear, rumors about gear, gear techniques, photos that their gear can take, etc. If that's the case I don't need

to join a photo club. I can just stop by here. ;-)

<p>When I was in Minnesota (Minneapolis) I joined the local Nature Photography club that had very serious salons to evaluate images. Their feedback was BRUTAL and I can say that no other photography enterprise that I was involved with ever helped me improve my photography as much as that club did.<br>

Personally I try and go through posted images here (photo.net) as much as I can and try and leave constructive feedback (I don't leave scores mind-you). I personally feel most comfortable leaving comments in Nature, landscapes, macro, and travel because I feel I am the most proficient in those areas. I do get some wonderful portraits myself and can recognize good portraits when they are presented but am not as technically savey others here. I would say if you post at photonet under 'portraits' and ask specific questions from the viewers you can get some truly outstanding technical responses from our community. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough that I believe you can get enough feedback to improve your work. Plus we don't expect you to drive 50 miles to have to share your work.<br>

Cheers</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I imagine that it's a bunch of well-meaning gear heads who congregate regularly to discuss gear, rumors about gear, gear techniques, photos that their gear can take, etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The clubs I have been to spend less than 5% discussing gear. We evaluate and discuss our IMAGES! </p>

<p>This forum, although it is excellent, has far too many people obsessed with gear. And many of these people may be able to take a sharp photo with their expensive gear, but they know nothing of composition and lighting. </p>