D-76@ 20C, stop and fix at 22C. Sloppy?

willy_boots

<p>Wash water, so far I've been 'eyeballing' it to get it in the neighbourhood, but I haven't been testing it, should I? Hypo-clear and photoflo at room temp (22C) from the distilled water that's sitting around. I have this glass thermometer but it's a little slow to change temperatures. Can anybody recommend a thermometer that responds really quickly to small temperature changes? Would make things easier.</p>

<p>Ok, maybe I should go with the water bath technique. I guess it would take a little while before all the solutions were at the same temperature, but once they're there then I should just keep a close eye on the temperature of the bath itself? What sort of method do you use to maintain the water bath temperature? I'm working on getting a really solid reliable system down so I can be scientific about this whole thing.</p>

<p>IMO, yes. I routinely maintain ± .5<sup>0</sup>F/?C up to room temperature exceeding developing temperature by 10<sup>0</sup>F/5<sup>0</sup>C, but that is me.</p>

<p>Most if not all manufacturers print a conversion table to determine processing time at other temperatures. 68<sup>0</sup>F/20<sup>0</sup>C is considered the optimal development temperature but 65<sup>0</sup>F/18<sup>0</sup>C to 75<sup>0</sup>F/23.8<sup>0</sup> is usable with higher temperatures giving more grain with most developers.</p>

<p>Adding a few cubes of ice to the tempering bath during the processing session helps keep the tempering bath temperature constant. Putting the chemicals in sealed containers in the refrigerator 30 minutes to an hour prior to processing then transferring to the tempering bath works well also.</p>

<p>As long as you're not visibly busting and breaking the emulsion with a reticulation failure (looks like orange peel), then you're OK. Bad temperatures would be something like running a developer hot, like 100F/37C, and then shocking the emulsion with a cold, like 68F/20C or below. The film is built to be tough. All the hard work was done by the engineers in advance.</p>

<p>I've seen reticulation with as little as a 5 degree F difference between dev and fix. It depends on the particular film. If you keep the dev, stop, fix within 2-3 degrees you shouldn't have a problem and if you are using a hardening fix then your wash water can be 5-8 off without any harm. I rarely process at temps above 75 degrees as this can cause other problems, too rapid initial development which can cause swirl marks, having a too short a dev time which can cause a timing issue, a change in contrast, etc. Temps above 80 degree greatly increase the chance of emulison damage. Modern films are much better at preventing reticulation but you should still keep the temps as close a possible.</p>