Stinky D3 question

greg_lisi

<p>Recently, I was able to aquire a pristine like new D3. The only problem is the previous owner left his after shave fragrance on the exterior shell. I wouldn't mind it if it was something pleasing, however I just find it offensive. Now, with my D700 and D300 I simply used a microfibre cloth to keep the exterior clean. I'm afraid that doesn't cut it for this situation. I'm afraid to use any cleaning solutions to help lift the smell without tearing up the rubber. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.</p>

<p>I don't know if it will help with the smell or not, but when I've used my gear in weather rendering me hot & sweaty, I've wiped things down with ammonia-free Windex. I chose ammonia-free because it would be less harsh. I'm not sure if ammonia would hurt things; maybe it would actually help rid your camera of the smell.</p>

<p>Use whatever you want to clean it short of gasoline, kerosene, turpentine or the like. It's a D3. I've got one that's been to hell and back with me and it still looks like it's brand new. If it's dirty I wipe it with my shirt, If it's really dirty I wet my shirt before wiping it. Every now and then I clean the sensor and give it a going over with q-tips to get in the nooks n crannies. No worries.</p>

<p>Heck, you might try a pressure washer from about 10 feet back or so.. :P</p>

<p>A serious answer to your question would be to use some diluted rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks guys...as always, this forum rocks for honest, straight-ahead answers. I know if I asked for help like this in another (un-mentioned) forum, I'd probably wind-up with sarcastic, nose-in-the air, answers (it's happened).<br>

John..."the clean shaven D3" response had me nearly falling off my seat...very witty!!<br>

Bottom line: Believe it or not, the hi-nee wipes response worked perfectly. Tried using some of my grandson's Huggies wipes...the wife wondered what the hell I was doing, however, damned it if didn't take away about 95% of the stink!! I'll put a little baking soda in a shot glass and stick in in my closed Pelican case with the D3 body. This camera with my 24-70 2.8 & 70-200 VRII is a freakin' gem. I intend to keep it until the cows come home. Now at least I can put my eye close to the view finder without gagging.</p>