anybody go back to film or shooting both?

<p>hi. i grew up in the 60s and missed my days shooting film and longed for the simpler cameras and the connection to the past. i am sorry i had sold my film cameras way back when but i recently got an om1n and love it all over again and will be buying another f5. i now shoot digital and film with the option od scanning in the negatives to the computer. it has renewed my interest in photography and i am much more happy and at peace with this hobby. has anyone gone back to film and or shooting film and digitizing the negatives or shooting both film and digital? comments/thx. ll</p>

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I guess I have gone back to film, but also still shoot with a DSLR.</p>

<p>Ive really been enjoying shooting b&w film, and developing it myself. I like using a variety of different formats (35mm, 127, 120 and 4x5 sheet film) and a variety of different cameras.</p>

<p>I tend to like the older film cameras as I get a kick out of using an old thought-to-be-obsolete camera(s).</p>

<p>yeah i see your point. many of the good labs are gone and it usually leaves the big w/w. right now i am getting my negatives done and then scanning them in. i am not gonna abandon digital cause i like it too much too but i want to do things more deliberate and slowly and film cameras give me that feeling even if thats all it is, a psychological feeling of a simpler time. not to mention the beauty of film. ll</p>

<p>I still shoot 35mm and 6x6. I also have a darkroom set up... a proper room, I'm finally out of my bathroom. :)<br>

Color negative is pretty much replaced by digital but 6x6 slides are just magnificent.</p>

<p>I'm quite attached to my cumbersome and loud Canon T70 and absolutely love OM2n + 28/2 set. Without trying you'd never believe the size of the viewfinder image in that petite package.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just don't find it works anymore to drop film at a lab and expect back decent prints.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know one place that still does optical prints even from 6x6, at least to his old customers, but he's quitting soon as the machine is getting cranky.<br>

Normal (mini)labs don't handle film very well. :(</p>

<p>I've seen this question asked so many times. I'd have to say it depends on what you are shooting whether black and white or colour. If I'm shooting black and white I'd use my Pentax 6x7 medium format camera and shooting colour I'd use my Canon 20D, but for true black and white with no digital retouching just like the old days I'd still use film regardless of what people say it doesn't make a difference?<br>

John Zhao<br><b>Signature URLs removed. Please read photo.net's Terms of Use and Community Guidelines</b>

<p>I went back to shooting film recently and have been working to get my darkroom up again. I certainly do not plan to shoot as much film as I shoot digital maybe a couple of rolls a month, but if I don't use my darkroom equipment it will all go to waste. I enjoy shooting B&W T-max 100/400, especially in 120 format and 4X5, also Plux-x 125 which was my favorite film before T-Max. Color film I like Fuji Velvia 50/100 , Fuji Reala, Kodak Echtachrome. </p>

<p>While I've collected recently a few film cameras I had in the past, I don't have any intention of using them other than out of curiosity. I had a black and white darkroom for decades, but it was out of necessity as I needed prints for publishing and selling. All gone now, and I don't miss it at all. I do like digital, and shoot more "fun" digital images in a month than I'd shoot in a whole year on film.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>people say it doesn't make a difference</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh YES, they do make a lot of differences. Shooting films or digital are as different as eating rice or bread. They may be the same only because they both give you nutrition, to satisfy your hunger and keep you alive but bread and rice are totally different, I like to eat them both. Only that bread is getting more expensive and there are less bakery close to my home than there used to be before ... but I'm not giving up on it yet. I wonder what will I eat today, rice or bread?</p>

<p>Just last night, after a year of haphazard construction and several grand, I finished my first purpose-built darkroom, after years of using blacked-out bathrooms, closets, amd even a strange "tent", composed of a PVC pipe frame and black plastic, that occupied the entry hall of my apartment (that was before my wife moved in - needless to say, in the battle of wills between my "hall tent" and my wife, The Missus won....). Tonight, I start on developing a backlog of rolls of T-Max and Tri-X that have been accumulating since I started using film cameras again. I still have a dSLR (Nikon D70s) and I recently bought a flatbed scanner (Epson V600) which is supposedly not bad for scanning negs, so I'll be able to post online, but it's going to be b/w film and actual prints for the foreseeable future. I'm really looking forward to darkroom work again - I always found getting "that one print" right as enjoyable as taking the photo itself.</p>

<p>I never liked the complex and difficult process of working with color film. It is too expensive and full of potential problems. I an happy with digital color. For b&w I usually shoot film. Anything from a Leica to an 8x10 Ebony. I prefer the results, especially when contact printing sheets processed in pyro.</p>

<p>went completely digital for color....never stopped using film for b&w and convert tons of digital to b&w in lightroom/photoshop</p>

<p>stopping printing b&w in wet darkroom tho.(never did enjoy printing color in wet darkroom....gave that up after the first set of chemicals ran out)...might start b&w back up....maybe</p>