Where to buy film NOW (4/1/10)?

<p>I want to order some 35mm film for testing and evaluation - both color negative and slide film. I plan to buy 1 roll each of maybe 8 or 10 different emulsions from both Fuji and Kodak. Based on my results, I'll decide what to buy in quantity for a trip to Utah's canyonlands in May.</p>

<p>The problem is this: I would normally get my film from B&H Photo, but they are closed until April 6. Adorama has a few of the emulsions I want to try, but is out of stock on many others. I'd like to get started as soon as possible.</p>

<p>Can anyone recommend another source of 35mm film I should try?<br>

Thanks,<br>

-gw</p>

<p>Here is my (long) list of possible emulsions:<br>

Transparencies:</p>

<ul>

<li>Fujichrome Velvia RVP 100</li>

<li>Fujichrome Provia 100F Professional, RDP III</li>

<li>Fujichrome Provia 400X Professional, RXP III</li>

<li>Kodak ELITE Chrome 100, EB-3</li>

<li>Kodak Elite Chrome Extra Color 100, EBX</li>

<li>Kodak E100VS 135-36 Ektachrome Professional</li>

<li>Kodak ELITE Chrome 200</li>

</ul>

<p>Color Negative</p>

<ul>

<li>Kodak Ektar 100</li>

<li>Fuji (Superia) Reala 100</li>

<li>Fujifilm Pro 160C</li>

<li>Kodak Portra-160VC</li>

<li>Kodak Portra 400VC</li>

<li>Fuji Pro 400H</li>

</ul>

<p>Trevor - thanks for the tip about Freestyle - I'll give them a try</p>

<p>Andrew - say it ain't so. I've never used Reala, but it reputation is legend!</p>

<p>Phyliss - My problem with Amazon is this: Yes, their site offers most of the films on my list, but not all from the same seller. Because each of their sellers charges a minimum amount for shipping, I was hoping to keep my shipping cost down by ordering from only one or two sellers. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, and I was surprised to discover that when it comes to film, there may be better alternatives. Some Amazon sellers like Photoworld, J&R, Norman Camera, and Calumet presently have film prices which are quite a bit higher than B&H. Adorama is also an Amazon seller, and their prices are about the same as B&H - but as already mentioned they are out of stock on several items on my list.</p>

<p>Thanks all,<br>

-gw</p>

<p>I go to the Calumet in Cambridge for film, they're not much more expensive than B&H and for some items they're cheaper. But sometimes I like to go to the small shop near me, they've got a better sense of humor. I went into Calumet a couple of weeks ago with my F100 and an f/2.8 zoom with a ridiculously bright hippie strap, went up to a guy and he said "What can I do for you?" and I deadpanned, "I'm gonna need a better strap." Not even a chuckle.</p>

<p>Gary I did just what you have, but it's not as grand as it seems. </p>

<p>To do justice you really need to document your work and shoot enough varied subjects - maybe at home. Don't go overseas with it... Maybe shoot with a digital camera in tango and compare adj for the settings, correct the diff ISO with the shutter speeds.</p>

<p>For a trip I think you should standardise on some films you like.....</p>

<p>I am not sure if I would do the following as rumours say they are discontinuing - Fuji Reala, rumours has it all the Fuji pro neg film apart from 400H is too, if you are trying Ekta 100G and 100VS I am not sure if I would try the Elite Chrome series .. Not sure about 200 Elite Chrome, if you want, you mind as wel try Ekta 200. </p>

<p>Ekta - Ektachrome.</p>

<p>Adorama will be closed for Passover just like B&H. Alkit (in New York) isn't Orthodox, but they aren't big on mail order.<br>

Indeed, Calumet's prices are very reasonable, not much more at all.<br>

I wouldn't try Fuji 160C, since it is definitely discontinued, along with 160S and 800Z.</p>

<p>John - thanks for the tip about Adorama also being closed; if that's posted on their website, I didn't see it.</p>

<p>Ray - Sorry I didn't make my plan more clear. Yes, I will test multiple films under varied conditions at home. Then I will take only one or two on my trip. In the past I've loaded ISO 100 slide film in one body for most shots, and ISO 200 or 400 in the other body for museum interiors and night shots - if I switch to negatives, my plan was to do something similar, like maybe: Reala and Fujicolor 400H, or Ektar and Portra 400VC.</p>

<p>I just checked Calumet's website, and yes, their prices are competitive. However they are not showing several of the films on my list as available in single rolls, and I'm not ready to commit to a 5 roll package - so, freestylephoto.biz looks like my best choice right now. Their prices are a bit higher than the others, but their selection is very good.</p>

<p>And thanks to all for your suggestions - most useful.</p>

<p>However all this news about discontinued films is making me rethink the whole idea of using my film equipment for another year or two. What I'm thinking about spending on film and processing for this trip won't buy a digital camera, but it would be a start...</p>

<p>If you want some safe films from discontinuation, IMO, Kodak pro neg maybe not 800, slide film both vendors of what's left but not amateur slides. The 400 Elite Chrome is delisted I think, some places harder to get Sensia 400, or that it is more $$ than Provia 400X (!).</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for your useful suggestions, but I've had a change in plans.</p>

<p>Too many films are being discontinued too fast for my comfort level, and too many film suppliers are out of stock of film I'd like to buy. Additionally, my slide projector and one of my film cameras need repairs - repairs I would gladly pay for if not for the following:</p>

<p>After being laughed at when I asked for film at my local photo specialty store (Lawrence Photo in Springfield, MO). After trying to make online orders for film with 4 different major suppliers - orders which could not be successfully completed for a number of different reasons - I've decided to retire my film equipment and switch to digital. I'm pretty sick about it, but it seems inevitable, so why not submit to my fate now, rather than later?</p>

<p>Thanks again for your valuable feedback!</p>

<p>-gw</p>

<p>Wow that stinks. I shoot primarily film and find it very easy to get stuff. I just order it. B&H takes a day to get here, Freestyle is a couple. But, good luck with digital. Hope you have a good computer, a good monitor, and patience with all the software :D Do NOT overlook the storage and backup stuff either - it will bite you in the ass at some point.</p>

<p>As far as 5-roll packs, a lot of the pro film is only sold in 5-roll packs. Some places like B&H will split out single rolls, but Kodak and Fuji don't necessarily sell them like that.</p>

<p>You make some good points Tim, and on any other day you would be right about B&H; but they are closed until April 6 - which is what started me down this path.</p>

<p>Film or digital - I expect I'll get my ass bit, either way. Am I the only one to see my film counter go past 36, 37, 38 - then discover the film never advanced a single frame, cause I didn't load it quite right? Or lost a roll in the mail? Or got dirty processing? Or discovered I had the ASA set wrong, and it's too late to ask for pull processing? Oh well, lucky for me it's just a hobby - a way to relax, right? I can laugh about stuff like that, after I stop crying.</p>

<p>It's just been one of those weeks of beating my head against the wall. As much as I love my film cameras - I'm starting to feel like the guy who tricked out his GTO with a kick-ass 8 track tape deck - 30 years ago. At what point does it no longer make sense to keep on doing what used to work great, but now, not so much? Really, I had hoped to avoid the switch to digital for at least another year, or two.</p>

<p>I drive the same truck I bought new in 1990, my Apple computer is a 2001 model, my film scanner is SCSI, I camp in a tent, my Cannondale bike was made in the mid-80s, and I watch broadcast TV on a CRT screen - so I wouldn't say I was one to abandon something that works to chase every new trend.</p>

<p>I expect everyone who participates in the "Film and Processing" forum has asked: Is film still working for me? Today, it was my time to answer: "Not so much."</p>

<p>Hey, B&H won't sell you a DSLR before April 6 either :)</p>

<p>I'm amazed you're finding it this hard to get film. I've never had this much trouble. Since you're in Missouri... I know. Before you give up, go to www.helixcamera.com - they do mail order, they're in Chicago so you'll get your order in a day or two and they have freakin' everything including the kitchen sink. Seriously, these guys will literally sell you a stainless steel sink. They have a larger film counter than B&H and they process in-house everything up to and including large format E6. It's where my father shops and they're excellent. Single roll prices are a bit high but pro packs are at a discount</p>

<p>Andrew Lynn said: "Hey, B&H won't sell you a DSLR before April 6 either :)"<br>

No, but J&R will - and did.</p>

<p>OK, I admit it, already - it's not really that hard to get film - even in Missouri. My particular order was a tough one to fill because I wanted to get single boxes of 8 or 10 different films, and it just so happened that the first 3 or 4 sellers I went to were out of stock on 2 or 3 of the ones I wanted - and the one seller that did have most of what I wanted (freestylephoto.biz) had some kind of BS problem with their 'security certificate' that my browser didn't like.</p>

<p>It also just so happened that several of the films which I was eager to try - based on the recommendations of you kind folks - were rumored to have been recently discontinued, (and in some cases confirmed). That just takes some of the fun out of it.</p>

<p>If I had placed my order a week earlier or a week later, it may be that I would have had zero problems, and I would have continued to be a happy film shooter for years to come. But I didn't place my order a week ago - and if I had waited a week later, I might not have had enough time to do my testing, then order a batch of the winning film before my trip (assuming I could find it in stock somewhere).</p>

<p>Helix Camera looks like a good one, Andrew - wide selection, and prices look competitive. I didn't have the heart to check their stock for every item on my list, because it's already too late for me. The repairs on my film camera have been canceled, and the digital SLR is on the way. (Why do I feel so cheap?)</p>

<p>I'm not selling the film stuff yet (as if) - have to wait and see how I get on with the DSLR. Plus, I can use my old lenses on the new body. I may take a film camera to Utah and shoot it along-side the new DSLR. Or not. Never did decide what film to buy.</p>

<p>Thanks again, and best of luck to all<br>

-gw</p>

<p>@ Gary Wright - -<br>

OUCH! I just today bought not one, not two, but THREE new vintage film cameras! HA HA I must be nuts. I sold all my film cams in 2000 when I got my first digital Nikon. After 10 years of digital, I am convinced I need some cool classic rangefinders with better GLASS than comes on my dSLRs. Back to the future?<br>

I dropped into my local cam shop to check film stocks-----WHOA - they have a big diagonal cubby hole wall full of little green, yellow and white boxes! Looks good. Could those be the last rolls of film on the planet? Boy howdy, I hope not!<br>

You know, a few years ago people swore that LP records were history, kaput, dust, over with. And yet, business for LPs and LP gear is BOOMING! And, guys are still making, and selling, vacuum tube amplifiers! So, maybe there's a few rolls of film left out there?</p>

<p>Mark Deneen said: "...I am convinced I need some cool classic rangefinders with better GLASS than comes on my dSLRs."</p>

<p>Well, you have an excellent point there, about the glass! Rather than taking this thread on a tangent, I have started a new topic called "Whatever happened to normal fast primes?"<br>

http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00WBlP</p>

<p>I don't know they work on range-finders, but if your old film cams need any tender loving care, I highly recommend ACR (Abilene Camera Repair - abilenecamerarepair.com)</p>

<p>I sure wish my local camera shop would do a better job with film. Sure, I can still get Kodak Gold and Fuji Superia, but last time I asked for slide film they laughed at me. They keep 10 boxes in stock, he told me - and this is the only photo specialty store in a city of 150,000.</p>

<p>If you are looking to shoot chromes in Canyonlands, there is only one "right" choice - Velvia 50. No other color transparency produces the warm, vivid colors you will get from RVP50. Make sure you shoot a few rolls before you head out on your trip so you are familiar with how the film behaves, because it offers very little latitude for overexposure. If you overexpose even a little, your vivid colors will turn pale and less saturated. Nail the exposure and the colors will pop when viewed on a light table in a way no monitor can render a digital image on its screen. Velvia is very contrasty, so might want to consider a second film for exposures that are not made early in the day or late in the evening, and when the light is more harsh. Something like Fujichrome RD might be a better choice under some circumstances. But I would just stick to RVP if I were you, and focus on getting to know the film and the meter in your camera to keep things simple.</p>