when will we stop calling them digital cameras?

<p>Funny, a few days ago I was talking with a colleague and he had put together a presentation. He had made the the PowerPoint slides look like a film strip. I asked him how long he thought having such an image for photography will be useful/valid.</p>

<p>Sure, film will be with us for a while but how many of us can readily identify a glass plate when we see one?</p>

<p>I sat in on his presentation and one of his students then made a reference to a "Kodak moment." Is this another phrase whose end is coming quickly, I wonder</p>

<p>I call it a camera when the conversation revolves around the fact that I'll be photographing something. I call it a digital (or film) camera when the conversatino revolves around some aspect of the recorded image or workflow that actually makes the distinction worth mentioning.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>We will always refer to them as digital cameras. This distinguishes them from the earlier film cameras and the later holographic cameras and quantuum cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You forgot "laser cameras".<br>

<a href="../photography-news-forum/00TD9B"><br /> </a><br>

<a href="../photography-news-forum/00TD9B">http://www.photo.net/photography-news-forum/00TD9B</a></p>

<p>Eric,</p>

<p>I occasionally get asked why I use such large lenses when they make them so much smaller and lighter these days. :-)</p>

<p>I've learned to say that I am just getting old and like what I am used to. Of course, then it gets even worse when people accept that (I'm only 40!)</p>

<p>Rob, being an older geezer ...<br>

I just say, "My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I have to have bigger lenses to see as well." To wit they invariably say, "OK, now I understand. I never thought about that."<br>

:-)<br>

Bad Boy Jim</p>

<p>I have heard that, in some photography training programs these days, the "full frame" digital cameras are simply called "35mm." Often semantic references like this get frozen into phrases that long outlast their referent (e.g., how many people know that "jerry-rigged" is really a sailing term="jury rigged")</p>

<p>Ok, I'll play. I see your question and I'll raise you with a few of my own, just for fun.<br>

A. When are we going to stop calling them "view camera's"?<br>

B. When are we going to stop calling them "field camera's"?<br>

C. When are we going to stop calling them "monorail camera's"?<br>

D. When are we going to stop calling them "folders"?<br>

E. When are we going to stop calling them "TLR's" and "SLR's"?<br>

F. When are we going to stop calling them "rangefinders"?<br>

G. When are we going to stop calling them "point & shoot's?<br>

Why don't we just call them "Image Collection Devices" and be done with it? The answer, of course, is we can't. Not all camera's are created equal nor are they all designed for the same purpose. Sometimes digital is the answer, sometimes film. Sometimes rangefinders are the ticket, sometimes field camera's. Sorry for the rant, but this question really caught me in a mood.</p>

<p>I don't mind the term "digital camera" (for the reason that David W expressed so well), but I do mind terms like "digital polarizing filter," "digital camera bag," and similar terms that apply equally well to digital and film camera systems. It sometimes seems that retailers are worried that if photographic equipment doesn't have "digital" in the name, it won't sell. </p>

<p>I never call my camera "digital camera". I just call it "the camera"<br>

To my suprise, a lot of folks still think a big black camera with a big lens still uses film until I show them the images on the LCD. To them digital cameras are Canon Powershots, Sony Cybershots, Nikon Coolpixs, Casio Exilims and the likes.</p>

<p>Slighty off topic, when me and my wife speak about whether I'm coming along some place taking my D200, we both end up saying things like "I think I will bring along the camera<strong>s</strong> " or "can't you leave the camera<strong>s</strong> home for a change?". The point is, I always bring only ONE camera. Always. Some lenses usually, but one body. But back in my film days, sometimes I used to bring two SLR, and somehow the thing stuck in our minds. My bag is the "bag for the camera<strong>s</strong> " as well, although there is no way I can fit two bodies there.<br>

So if this is at any rate an indication, we will probably go on calling them "digital cameras" much longer than it would make rationally sense</p>

<p>L.</p>

I believe that Joseph is right, unless by "we" you mean advanced photographers. On eBay help forums, I often see "What is a good camera for eBay and all around shooting?" We all know they mean digital cameras. If for some reason a person wanted to ask about a camera that uses film, Then they would ask, "What is a good film camera...?"
James G. Dainis