when will we stop calling them digital cameras?

<p>

<p>In everyday use I think most people have already dropped the digital part off when talking about digital cameras. If someone asks me what a good camera is to buy I assume they are talking about a digital, unless they specifically state they are looking for a film camera.<br>

No one asks me if I have my digital camera with me, they just ask if I have my camera.</p>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how many of us can readily identify a glass plate when we see one?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Me.</p>

<p>We, that is myself and people I know, just call cameras cameras, and we add digital or whatever when we need to distinguish.<br>

Just depends on context.</p>

<p>I do however find it difficult when people use SLR when referring to a DSLR, which really makes for confusion.</p>

<p>I've often heard that the eskimoes have a huge number of words for snow. Crazy natives...</p>

<p>Then I realized English speakers have a huge number of words for water: water, rain, fog, river, brook, stream, creek, puddle, lake, ocean, etc. Eventually figured out that when people are close to many varieties of a fairly common subject, they'll create words to more and more accurately describe each nuance.</p>

<p>Hence, as photographers we have all sorts of different *kinds* of cameras: view, SLR, TLR, DSLR, yada, yada..... While non-photogs just say "camera."</p>

<p>I suspect that the only people who call them digital cameras are 'Photographers'. Most people, particularly younger ones, just call them cameras.</p>

<p>But, I could be wrong!</p>

<p>Cheers and thanks for posing an interesting question.</p>

<p>Alan</p>

<p>I'm still learning and am now going to demonstrate my ignorance: what is a TLR? I have read the term several times in this thread and others but still have not figured out what it stands for. Does anyone care to explain?</p>

<p>Five things that need to happen in order for us to stop calling them digital cameras, but will never happen:</p>

<p>1) 100% satisfaction witht he PN critique/rating system<br>

2) Lex Jenkins provides an incorrect answer or poor critique<br>

3) My images get into the Top Rated Photos<br>

4) Nikon and Canon resume giving 50/1.8's as kit lenses<br>

5) (Rhymes with "Ben Sockwell") instructs us to stop calling them digital cameras</p>

<p>:-P</p>

<p>--Ryan</p>

<p>I've got an even better term for our cameras in general. During Christmas while I was visiting my dad and stepmom, we had all the relatives over for dinner. As he has done for the last 40+ years my dad pulled out his camera and started shooting, in this instance with an Olympus Infinity Stylus Epic 170 p&s. I got my 30D out to snap off some shots of the family and immediately my cousin's wife said, "Wow, that's a nice Vacation Camera!" To her my 30D with its grip was a huge monstrosity that one only saw on vacation (not realizing that it's nearing classic-status in the digital world), not the normal digital camera she sees most people pull out of their pocket or purse. Since that moment I now jokingly refer to it and any other large slr/dslr with a grip as a "Vacation Camera". Perhaps we should start a Vacation Camera Forum.</p>