plastic reels with larger flanges for easier loading of films

derek_kennedy

<p>I might have the wrong site as I cant seem to find what I am looking for here...and I apologize for what might be a double post but I just cant seem to find the post I was looking for.</p>

<p>My question concerns the patterson plastic reels. I saw a photo in one forum (this site??) that shows a new reel with larger flanges(?) suposedly making it easier to load film.</p>

<p>Was this reel (assuming it was this site) a Patterson reel or another company such as Arista? I saw a Arista plastic reel on the freestyle site</p>

<p>http://www.freestylephoto.biz/55043-Arista-Premium-Plastic-Developing-Reel?cat_id=1603</p>

<p>but it indicates that it is "Designed for use with the Arista Premium Plastic Developing Tank" - does anyone know if it will fit on the core from the Patterson 2 reel (style 4?) tanks? </p>

<p>Do you know of another brand that has this larger flange(?)? I was thinking that maybe it would help with the loading of the 120mm film.</p>

<p>Also - does anyone know where one can get reels that open up larger to take older film types such as 116 (there are a couple other sizes I might want but I cant remember what they are at the moment).</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Thanks for that Larry. I might have to do that as well. I did one roll that was too wide for my reel but that was a real quick jerry-rigged one time only fix but your idea is a sound one.</p>

<p>Still curious though - of the reels with the larger (im calling) flanges as shown in the link. Id like a couple of those anyway but dont know if the Arista will work on the Patterson tank core. guess I could always get a new tank if need be...</p>

<p>I have a couple dozen plastic reels, and at least 1/2 dozen plastic tanks of various sizes and manufacture. I use the reels interchangeably and they all fit perfectly. No problems at all. The reels with the larger flanges are my favorites though, especially for 120 film. They are a lot easier to get started. Some of the 120 film stocks I use are very springy and will "jump the track" with the small flanged reels. This never happens with the wide flanged reels.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I have never seen one of these reels capable of holding film larger than 120. If you look hard, you might find SS reels in that size, but don't count on it. 116 and 616 film haven't been made for a long long time. They were not very popular as far back as the late 1960's, which is when I used my first and only roll of 616 Verichrome Pan in a box Brownie. I processed that film by drawing it through a tank of developer, kind of like a manual dip and dunk process. It was messy, but it worked.</p>

<p>If you are having trouble getting 120 film started on plastic reels, here is a trick you might want to try.</p>

<p>Cut a piece of the film box to be the same width as 120 film and about 2 or 3 inches long.</p>

<p>Before you go in the darkroom slide this piece of card along the reel tracks into the beginning of the reel but not past the little ball bearings. Now when in the darkroom take your film and slide it along the card until it is past the ball bearings and pull in a bit more then remove the card and load in the normal way. You see the card acts like a guide and makes those springy films easier to get started.</p>

<p>I most often reverse curl the first 1/2 inch or so of my film before loading to help with the springiness.<br>

I still have the same bit of card I cut out of a Fuji box a couple of years ago, I only replace it if it gets lost of to banged up.</p>

<p>Purists may say I am cheating, but what ever makes it easier.</p>

<p>The old bakelite tanks with adjustable reels almost all took 116 film. These are the ones you agitate with the thermometer. Very common on eBay. They eventually crack and leak.<br>

116/616 Nikor reels can be found on eBay, show up a few times a year. They fit in 16 ounce tanks. The seller may not know what size they are, you may have to ask them to measure them, if they are 70mm wide, that's what you want.</p>

<p>I think the reels you mention are produced by AP. They can be bought in Berlin from fotoimpex. Yes they fit in the Patterson tank and can be used, except that they don't fit so tightly to the core. As a result, if you develop less films than the capacity of the tank, they may slide upwards during development and end up above the developer. Two ways around that: either add extra empty reels to fill the tank, or put the AP reels at the bottom and the Patterson reels at the top of the pile. Bottom line, yes they are easier to load, they are cheaper and they do work in Patterson tanks, but with that extra element of uncertainty. With a bit of practice, loading 120 film onto patterson reels isn't that hard either...</p>

<p>The wider flange reels do fit the Paterson tanks. I think that's been cleared up but throwing in my confirmation.</p>

<p>The current Samigon reels at BH are the right type, too. Looking for the ones specifically branded as AP is kinda hard, but Samigon is right athere at BH Photo...</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/122989-REG/Samigon_ESA325_Multi_Format_Autofeed_Reel.html</p>

<p>allan</p>