D700 - Hate the neck strap

andy_j

<p>I recently upgraded to the D700 from D200. Does any one else hate the new neck strap? I seriously considered sending Nikon a strong worded letter about it. My old 8008 that I bought 16 years ago had a better neck strap. After spending close to $2,500 you figure that I would not have to go out and buy an aftermarket strap.<br>

In the meantime, if you see a guy taking pictures with a D700 fitted with a D200 strap... thats me.</p>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Welcome to the club of Nikon-strap haters. </p>

<p>To me, all Nikon straps are terribly unconfortable as they hurt your neck. The problem, however, is that you only notice it with a heavy camera. I used my N80 for a long time with the Nikon strap and had no problem... until I used the F100 with the Nikon strap. Boy, did that hurt.</p>

<p>Look for the rubbery, bouncy straps marketed by Quantaray and other similar brands. They cost about $10, but they offer a more confortable and more discrete choice. If there's something uncool about manufacturer straps is that they advertise all over the place that you have one particular camera... and people notice you. With a black strap, you're just one more guy with a camera, taking photographs. </p>

<p>Oh, incidentally, I wouldn't bother writing to Nikon. </p>

<p>I concur -- the neck strap for the D700 seems pretty cheap by comparison to the strap of the D300. That said, my typical D700 configuration weighs as much as a brick and I can't think of a strap that is going to make that feel comfortable hanging around my neck. Instead, I tend to multi-wrap the strap around my wrist and keep a firm grasp on the body. I now have a vice-like handshake as a result ;)</p>

<p>I agree with Dan, I bought a boatload of Contax straps when I used to work at a camera store because I realized that no one else's was close.<br>

Your 8008 came with a strap? I thought that Nikons used to package the straps with the eveready cases, not the cameras. I know they did with F3/FE2/FM2 and older.</p>

<p>We have used several neck straps, including the Op Tec and my favorite strap by a few hundred miles is the Black Rapid RS strap:<br>

http://www.blackrapid.com/<br>

It is more of a body strap than a neck strap. I can't tell you enough how much I love the strap. I will shooting a wedding with one camera hanging body right (the main "quick draw" camera) and another hanging body left. It's just a different paradigm. I keep my tripod plate attached to the bottom of the camera and just use the ring on that to clip and un-clip the camera from the strap. It also comes with a piece to attach, but I usually had the tripod plate on the bottom of my camera anyway!</p>

<p>Thank you for your responses. I'm glad to see that I am not alone.<br>

I'm going to my local shop to take a look at the Op/Tech straps. I must admit that I am a bit nervous about having those easy release clips on my strap. I've had several close calls with the clips on my Slingshot camera bag.<br>

I am going on a trip to Costa Rica next week and would rather not advertise NIKON to jelous tourists and potential muggers. In, the meantime, I might swap the strap for my wife's D70 strap. I just noticed that her strap only says "Nikon" and no model. I always feel like I am showing off my camera when I wear those straps (except when I run into someone with a D3, then they are the ones showing off).<br>

John: My 8008 did come with a strap. It was black and gray with a red outline (i think).</p>

<p>Andy, just apply some nail polish on the clips/snaps and that'll do the trick of keeping them safely stuck. Now... if you're going to Costa Rica, just be careful with your camera in San José. Last time I was there, a policeman walked up to me and recommended that I stick my F100 in a bag, so as not to attract unwanted attention. Keep your stuff with you at all times, and never set a backpack on the floor in a bus station or airport to talk to someone or do anything without keeping a firm grasp of it. My students have told me how people they met in their trips had their stuff stolen after having set it on the floor to do something with two hands (write a note, look for something in their pockets and so forth). Now, the place is great if you intend to shoot wildlife. In my dreams, I go to Monteverde with my Nikons and a 600mm lens, and take long walks down the forest, photographing birds and monkeys and insects and humming birds and flowers...</p>

<p>You get the idea...</p>

<p>Costa Ricans in general tend to be most friendly. You will enjoy your visit. Meanwhile, have fun shopping!</p>

<p>I have not used a Nikon strap since I bought the N50. D200 & D300 have a Tamrac Digital strap. I like those - black.<br /> 1. I don't like advertising to thieves that I'm carrying a Nikon. They have to get closer to see it (at least in my deluded mind this works).<br /> 2. Nikon's straps are uncomfortable & hard.<br>

Oh - my FM has a Nikon strap made of some form of plastic - but it's all black. And the N90s has an old faded Nikon strap. But it seems nicer than the new ones...<br>

JMHO<br /> Lil :-)</p>