D700 - Hate the neck strap

andy_j

<p>Nikon straps are a bit of a mystery to me. Never stocked, seldom seen and rather unpopular. The ones I like are the ones that come with the FE case - they are around 1/2 inch wide and have NIKON painted in small white letters. I don't know the part number, but they support my F6 and 70-200 combo for extended periods without strain.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Nikon has a very comfortable strap that comes with their Sports and Marine binoculars. It is plenty long and about three inches wide with a soft filler. I couldn't find the product #, but it says "Made in Korea" on it. Other than that, I like the Op-Tech straps. I intend to look at the Up-strap for my next one. </p>

<p>I hate the Nikon straps because they scream "Nikon" in that can't-be-large-enough yellow type. I never got far enough with them to actually mount one on my camera. When I travel, they just call attention to themselves. I like Jeffrey's idea of the wrist strap so you're always ready, and I like the thick and comfortable black Lowepro straps.</p>

<p>I really like the UPstraps: http://www.upstrap-pro.com/ They are strong, thin, comfortable and inconspicuous.</p>

<p>In addition to throwing the original strap back in the box, one of the first things I do whenever I get a new camera is to take black electrical tape and cover up "Nikon," the model number and anything else that makes the front of the camera stand out. I also tape over "Nikon" on the lens cap. One of my photography instructors advised all his studends to do this and although it was easier for an FM3a to be ignored and possibly passed over as an old, beaten-up camera, I do my best to have my D700 fall into the background.</p>

<p>I've never even taken my Nikon straps out of plastic. Actually, given that I rarely walk about with my camera just dangling free, I tend to not even clamp a strap on to my Nikons. I have my Lowepro Fastpack 350 and am pretty quick about getting into and out of it when I need to. </p>

<p>Did the optech(pretty nice) and upstrap(sticks to everything) thing. Now, I have the Domke gripper. I like it best because the cloth strap is pliable when you fold it into your bag. Odd, I know, but I'll never buy another.</p>

<p>I have not used third party neck straps on any of my Nikons. This is not to say that I would not consider a particular third party neck strap if I found it to be more suitable.<br>

I have AN-4B straps on all of my FM's and the FM2, with the AN-5Y, AN-6Y on the FM2N's and a wide black and red Nikon strap on the FM2T.<br>

All the AN-4B's are now between 25 to 30 years old, have had the rubber non slip lining wear off (only on a white shirt) and have survived countless encounters in the washing machine (without the cameras of course).</p>

<p>Why don't you just get yourself another strap if you don't like it. You get a camera with that capability for that low of a price and you are whining about the strap? Even with a Leica, I got a crummy strap. Just remember what the first Nikon Digital SLR cost when it came out and what it's capabilities were. It will give you some needed perspective.</p>

<p>" . . . one of the first things I do whenever I get a new camera is to take black electrical tape and cover up "Nikon," the model number and anything else that makes the front of the camera stand out. . . "</p>

<p>I use gaffers tape to cover the model number and the 'FX' logo. It doesn't leave a sticky residue and I can avoid gear conversations while I'm out shooting.</p>

<p>I've often noted that if Nikon were in the camera strap business, they would be broke within a year. Great cameras, but the straps are almost always dollar store discount models. Guess Nikon assumes that with D700 customers will have their own preferences in straps, and can afford a third party strap on which to hang their $3,000 camera:)</p>

<p>With my EOS 5D came a too short strap, wich is uncomfortable with heavy L lenses. I would like a strap where I can have the camera hanging down by my belt bucle. So far I havent been able to find a longer strap. Info on dealer anyone?</p>

<p>The strap that came with my Sony sucked too! What I did was to sew a nice cotton washcloth to the wide part (it wraps around the strap 3 or 4 times) and makes a nice soft feel and it is Very comfortable, and in the summer, your neck doesn't sweat either! </p>

<p>Chaps,</p>

<p>Nikon, Canon or else, it is all the same... We are living in a world where the customer will have to pay more to stay shy of becoming a living advertisement board... And it is not only a problem with cameras.</p>

<p>A strap, thin where it needs to be, large and cushioned where it must be and with no prominent brand name or colors which won't be a blatant violation the minimum requirements for some discretion (once the better part of valor...) and a good ergonomic design is something which the customer will be required to pay, even for $4000 camera.</p>

<p>The same applies for the red panels on Nikon bodies... Allegedly a design feature and a sure way to identify a Nikon body, if they are not taped over for anyone with the slightest knowledge in camera models.<br>

I wonder why, in the 60's everybody switched from chrome finish bodies to black ones if it was to resurrect such conspicuous areas ! ...</p>

<p>A blatant demonstration of the marketing department ruling over the engineering department like so many other "features" in today's products... And - unfortunately - an equally blatant demonstration of today's consumers passivity ! ...</p>

<p>As far as I'm concerned, I consider the white Nikon brand engraving on the body the less conspicuous and tolerable part of a natural manufacturer's pride and need of identification. I won't even bother to tape it over (eventual camera robbers will most certainly know as much on camera models as we do most of the time and the protective aspect of masking the brand name is nothing short of an illusion) but let me put the things clearly, if Nikon or any other brand of cameras (or any other product for that matter) wants me to advertise for them, they will have to pay me to do so. Moreover when the "freely" furnished accessory is as badly designed as the present stripes.</p>

<p>FPW</p>