which is which T-max

zac_sanders

Thanks, Kodak, for the needlessly confusing rubric.

As far as I can tell, the current version of TMX is "KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX 100" (copying and pasting directly from Kodak website to minimize error). I checked this variation in nomenclature against a few PDFs in which Kodak explained the packaging differences when TMY-2 was introduced:

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/professional/products/films/bw/bwFilmQAs.pdf?id=0.2.22.14.17.14.6&lc=en

If anyone else can confirm or refute this please speak up. I spent half an hour researching it and am still not certain about the nomenclature. My old bookmarks from when Kodak announced these changes are no longer valid.

Exasperating.

As far as I can tell TMX is still TMX which is commonly called Kodak TMax100 Professional. Kodak did at the end of last year improve TMY (TMax400), the new improved WAS suppose to be TMY-2. To further screw things up the box says 135-24 400 TMY. But the new box does have 'World's Sharpest!*' written on it.

Yup, unfortunately the minor name changes and word order swaps Kodak has indulged in over the years have muddied the water. The best way to distinguish versions appears to be to rely on the labeling. The above PDF link I found and others illustrate the packaging changes. Of course, you'd still need to find out whether the vendors' catalogs are up to date. In some cases I've received film packaged differently from what was illustrated online, tho' it was seldom relevant to performance.

Nathan, RE: development times. I heard an interview about TMY-2 (which is I think what you meant, not TMX), a kodak engineer/scientist stated that the only difference between the two films is the finer grain. He said no tonal changes, but that this did change the development times. He recommended adding 10%. Or was it subtracting 10%?

<i><b>ALL</b></i> of Kodak's B&W films say "Professional" on them and it has been that way for a few years now. All of Kodak's B&W chemicals have "Professional" on their packaging also. I once joked to a sales person that I can't buy them because I'm an amateur. I just got a blank stare followed by a polite laugh. <p/>Photographers. I guess putting "Professional" on a product makes it more attractive or something.

John Carter - "I heard an interview about TMY-2 (which is I think what you meant, not TMX)"

No, I am well familiar with the new TMY-2. If you would look at the chart that Kodak provides for T-Max developer, you will

see that there are two TMX rows on the chart, one is "T-Max 100 Professional" and one is "Professional T-Max 100", both

of which show different development times. If you had read the earlier posts, you would see that is what this thread is

about.

Zac, the best advice anyone can offer is to run a few test rolls of TMX to find the best development time. It's an excellent film but does demand very careful development for best results. With normally exposed TMX a 30-second difference one way or another will make a significant difference with most developers. It also depends on the quality of the light and desired contrast. Rather than relying too heavily on published data, it's best to expose a few rolls carefully for consistency, then develop each one at a time until you get the desired results.

Well, you could always split the difference, which is what I'm about to do in a few minutes. I don't think that 15 seconds

would make a dramatic difference, at least not one that couldn't be controlled through VC paper and filtration. I guess it also

would have an impact as to whether you expose at box speed or not, I do as I am still relatively new to processing and

printing.

Yoda says: "Films not make one a professional." Seriously, like others have said, it's just a name. If I may stray over to the other film forum, I've used Fuji 200 color print film when I ran out of Portra and the pro lab I use still delivered professional quality prints. One exception, the "professional" at the end of TXP indicates that it has a retouching surface. I think Plus-X in 120 is just plain Professional Plus-X or PX, no longer PXP. At one time, Kodak even had a professional version of Panatomic-X called FXP. Still have a couple of rolls of that in the fridge.