Canon 5D

kim_ifft

Hello.......can anyone help me on this topic. I just opened my shiny new 5D.....and my new 24-105 lens..why do I have a vignette look in

my eye cup? When I switch lenses I still have it, obviously a camera issue/adjustment, not a lens issue. Any help is appreciated.

That's just the way it is and the way the viewfinder screen is illuminated by the optics. There's a bit of darkening in the corners if you look for it. Don't worry about it. Go out and shoot some images!

BTW you'll see actual vignetting (corner darkening) on images shot with the 24-105, especially wide open at 24mm. Again this is normal for this lens. If it bothers you, shoot RAW and use DPP to correct it. Ditto for distortion.

"...obviously a camera issue/adjustment, not a lens issue."

Nope, actually it is a lens issue. Nothing is wrong with your camera. Both my EOS 3 and 5D do the same thing. The image

circle created by any lens is brightest in the center and gets progressively dimmer towards the outer edges. This is properly

called light fall-off, not vignetting. Vignetting is caused by something blocking light such as a misaligned hood or stacked

filters.

Wide zooms and large aperture wide primes show the most light light fall-off whereas tele primes tend to have less. Your

24-105 L has more light fall-off at 24mm than average. I don't notice it with my EF 24 2.8 but do with my 24-105 L. It's minor

and I don't pay attention to it. However in practice light fall-off is rarely noticeable in prints as it's usually cropped out for

normal print sizes (5x7, 8x10, 11x14). Also, it is rare to shoot blue sky or white walls wide open at 24mm. If you stopdown,

thereby using the brightest part of the image circle, you can reduce or eliminate light fall-off.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing: I just got the 5D last week, and the view through the viewfinder is very wide. It's not that tunnel vision of some other cameras. I found it difficult to see all the way to the corners without pressing my eye up to the eyepiece and turning my face a little to the side. So I just got the EP-EX15 eyepiece extender. It's now easier to see the whole field of view, but of course, everything is a bit smaller.

Sounds like you have no 35mm film experience, otherwise you'd be used to light fall-off at wide angle and wide aperture. The 5D sensor is the same size as a 35mm film plane, so you'll get the same fall-off as on a film camera under the same circumstances. As others have said, it's not a "problem", it's just the way it is with FF. Shoot RAW as it's easily correctable in PS, Lightroom or DPP.

Kim, what exactly do you see through the viewfinder? Vignette by definition is solid black circular cut-off around the edges. Is that what you're seeing, or a slight darkening towards the edges.

Also, stupid question: are you wearing glasses, and/or is this your first experience with slr's, film or otherwise?

Perhaps you can get your hands on a full frame film slr for comparison, or visit a local camera shop and look through another 5D viewfinder.

When I look through my 5D viewfinder (wearing glasses), I need to for my glasses to be touching the rubber cup to get close enough to see the full frame, and see a *slight* darkening towards the corners, with my various lens.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have a bag of mixed answers and I thank each of you. I see the word vignette is a little

strong to describe my issue. I definitely am experiencing a darkening towards the edges, major in the corners. I am going

to hop off the computer and go shoot for the day and see what happens when I upload my images.

Wide open at 24mm you WILL see significant darkening in the corners, especially noticable on shots with the sky in

them. This is perfectly normal. Shoot RAW and correct it in DPP if it bothers you (and I suspect it will). In the very

corners at f4 you'll see close to 3 stops of darkening. Again, this is normal for this lens.

If you think it's a lot, the 24/1.4 shot wide open shows about 4 stops of darkening in the extreme corners of the (full)

frame.

I second the earlier poster's suggestion to check and double check that the lens hood is turned to it proper position. If you don't have the lens hood properly aligned and clicked into its locking position, you will get black corners and vignetting. Trust me, I found this out the hard way with my 24-70. Now I know.