Need a new Photo Printer, Please help

I'd like to get some advice on a what photo printer to get. I've considered the Epson 1800, 1900, 2400, HP 8350 or

8850. Not sure what Canon offers. Have been using a Epson Photo 820, and the printer is tired, and I want to move

up in quality of the output. Printer must be able to print at least 11 x14, but 13 x 19 would be nice. I've read the

specs on all these printers and frankly I now have too much information.

Thank you your help

Tom

At one point the Epson 2200 was considered hands down the best printer you could get for the money. That was about 3-4 years ago. I don't know if the others have caught up or exceeded, but I know I still get dazzling 11X14s from mine. I feel no need to upgrade.

I have experience with the HP 8450. The 8350 is the large format, 13"x19", model.

They have excellent color. B&W prints show excellent gradations and are neutral.

The prints on swellable paper hold up well in long term tests.

HP has the 8350 on sale for $250. It seems quite the bargain. I would order one but I just ordered a film scanner.

The Epson R2400 is pretty good, right now its selling for about $200 less than the regular price of $850 because of the upgrade to the R2880. There is allot of good printers out there, but it's the price of the Ink you have to worry about !

The Epson 2400 is your best bet for the budget you seem to be on. It's easily the best printer you list and I've no problems with mine for the past 2.5 years. Superb quality on prints up to 13x19 inches. My only quibble is it's VERY finicky sometimes on loading larger, thicker papers.

Tom, as for my two cents on a good photo printer, you might look at the Epson 1400. It prints edge-to-edge 13x19, and is by far the best photo printer that I have used personally. I've used it for everything from art prints to ad and brochure proofs. Also, I think that luminous-landscape.com published an essay on analyzing ink usage/print costs a while back that may be of some help. Best of luck choosing your printer!

Michael-have you done any printing in black and white? I am looking at upgrading my (Epson) printer and had the 2400 in

mind due to its reputation for both excellent colour and black and white printing. I have heard that the 1400 does very good

colour work but I haven't heard anything about its black and white performance. Have you done any B&W? cb

Charles, I'm sorry, but I don't have any specialized experience printing black and white. I've found that the few b/w prints I've made from the 1400 were "neutral enough," but I doubt that's the response you're looking for. Digital Photo Pro Magazine has done some great articles recently on b/w inkjet printing that you might want to look for. Also, Lyson inks has a fascinating "Quad Black" inkset that is made for dedicated b/w printing that you might want to look in to. I haven't used the Quad Black system personally, but it looks promising... Best of luck, -Michael