How many Leica M film bodies ?

imran_ahmed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I bought an RD-1s, my use of film has dropped by half. Now I use film cameras alongside the RD-1s where they have advantages, such as with long lenses, and with wide angles. At times I just decide to shoot film all day.

My M2 sees the most use. Then the M6 for the convenience of the meter. I use the M4 from time to time to keep it in smooth working order. I tend to use Canon and Bessa rangefinders a lot also. The Bessa R4 is a delight with the 21mm lens. The Bessa L is perfect for the 12mm and 15mm lenses. The Bessa T for 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm lenses.

You can never have enough Leica's. I have 3 M's and 4 LTMs. I would like an M7 and a IIIg. Grip an Leica and you can feel the pulse. It is the same with firearms designed by John Browning of Morgan UT. They are objects designed by a genius, not a committee.

---Zero. I left my M6 in a Tokyo taxi on Friday night.---

Yeah, that one you never see back again. We Cabdrivers are real crooks :). (nah, I'm a honest guy)

in the 3 years I drove taxi I found heaps of stuff in the back or in between the seats. A small list:

-6 phones (ranging from El Cheapo to Pimp Phone)

-3 Digital camera (all P&S)

-2 analogue camera's ( 1 cheap P&S and 1 Hasselblad with 3 lenses!)

-numerous wallets

-1 purple dildo (yeah, really! I didn't pick it up with my hands)

In most cases I could remember who lost it and I returned it. Most stuff was lost by tourists so I could bring it back to their hotel. A few things however were already in the taxi when I started the day (several drivers use the same car). The most expensive found was the Hasselblad H1 I found just sitting in the trunk of the taxi, besides the body, backs and lenses it had a large heap of exposed colorfilm in the bag so I imagined it was quite important for somebody and since I'm not a fan of Hasselblad I decided to try to return it. I called the previous driver about it but he couldn't remember who it was and advised me to keep it, but I'm not that kind of guy. After a closer inspection of the bag I noticed a card with a number from some photo-agency so I called them and a few moments later I got the number of the owner. The owner was a nice young woman who did a lot of photoshoots for several agencies and she was totally in panic when she noticed she left her camerabag in the car and she thought it was lost forever(togheter with a lot of assigments still on rollfilm). We made an appointment in a fancy restaurant (and she paid the bill of course :) ) and had a good chat. She was so relieved and happy to see her gear back. We became friends and I still see her on regular bases.

For some stuff however it was impossible to find out who was the owner so most things I kept.

Oh, and the purple dildo was never claimed, it still sits in the office inside a glass casing with a note telling "Most unusual object found in a taxi". :)

M6TTL bought first (new).

Then M3 and M4.

I take my M6 in the mountains and shoot colour slides, and use the M3 mostly for portraits. I love the feel of older Leicas. The M3 is my favourite. M4 is more of a back-up.

cheers

Didier.

I had up to 5 four years ago or so, when I was trying the M6ttls in various finder

magnifications, but am back to just my original M4-2 (being CLA'd and re-covered at the

moment - it was in ugly shape). Plus 2 M8s.

I sort of treasure the M4-2 because it was my first, and I did some serious good stuff with it

- plus I love the Canadian-era glass that matches it. Other than that it's just a box (in the

ultra-compact size) to hold film behind a lens and keep the dark from escaping.

Good heavens, Clive! That's awful. Did you call the taxi company? If you can at least

remember the colors of the taxi you can call several companies. We left a suitcase in a taxi

whose name we didn't know. But by contacting several companies we got the suitcase back.

Do hope you can get your M6 back!