How many Leica M film bodies ?

imran_ahmed

I still have my long-used M6 classic and an M3 which I bought on impulse last year with a couple of lenses of the same era, in addition to my M8 and an oldish RD-1. The camera I enjoy using the least is the M8 even though it is the most convenient in terms of processing, reviewing the photos, changing ISO speed etc etc. The others (even the RD-1) are much more like proper optical instruments and nicer in the hand.

By the way, how do you carry two cameras at the same time (if any of you do)? I do not enjoy weighing myself down with a heavy or cumbersome kitbag.

Philip

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUESTION ASKED ABOVE: By the way, how do you carry two cameras at the same time (if any

of you do)? I do not enjoy weighing myself down with a heavy or cumbersome kitbag.

REPLY: Take the lens off one of them and put that one in your pocket. If you need two lenses,

buy a lens holder that fits underneath the (other) camera.

BTW, for me it is 2x M7

"By the way, how do you carry two cameras at the same time (if any of you do)? I do not enjoy weighing myself down with a heavy or cumbersome kitbag."

There are lots of small shoulder bags that can be used that are not heavy or cumbersome. A few I've used are Billingham Hadley, Domke satchels and Domke F6.

I also wear a photo vest from time-to-time (I could care less what the fashion police think). An M6 with 35mm Summicron fits easily in one of the big vest pockets, along with film, meter and extra lenses.

...Or just carry one around the neck and one over the shoulder.

M2, M3DS, M4 and M4-2. M2 sees most use w/o flash and M4-2 with flash (not often). Working on getting a M6, M7 or MP for metering. I've toyed with my friend's M5 briefly and never got to like the larger shape. Maybe throw in a VC R4M for wide angle use.

M3 x 3, bought for slow B&W, slow transparency and fast film or colour neg.respectively. Only seem to use one at a time these days, with a goodly number / majority of Canon digital images.

That's work. Don't get much time to play, or I would be lugging the lot plus lenses around all the time, up hills, down dales...honest

M3, M4-2 and CL, all rebuilt by Sherry K. Thinking about it, the one I use the most is the CL. Such a handy little carry around camera and wearing glasses I can see all the 50 field for easy composition. As to the othr two, I don't think I've ever used a camera with a nicer shutter release than the M3. M4-2 gets used with the wide angle lenses.

Thank you for all those who left messages of condolence. It's been a crappy month, and we're only a week in. I was a bit drunk on Friday, and burdened with bags, winter clothes and family members. To top it off, I didn't bother with a receipt as it was only a 10-minute ride. My wife swears it was a pale green cab, but the Pale Green Cab Co. deny they have my M6.

<P>I've lived in Tokyo long enough to appreciate the honesty of the Japanese. However, I also appreciate their love of Leica. I read Uncle Goose's <i>Confessions of a Taxi Driver</i> with great pleasure. Here in Tokyo, property lost in cabs is handed over to a central office (taxi <i>kindaika</i> centre). It can take up to 10 days, so there's still the chance I'll get it back. Meanwhile, I've been to the cops to register the loss, and I've been phoning through a list of almost 200 Tokyo taxi companies (all very sympathetic).

<P>You may be interested to see what was left in Tokyo cabs (and got handed in) in 2006. Click the top link of the two <a href=http://www.tokyo-tc.or.jp/user/u_framews.html>here</a>. At the top of the list is "mobile phones," followed by "wallets," "bagged goods," "bags," "clothing," "train passes and driving licenses," "jewelry (precious metals)," "CAMERAS," "envelopes (?)," "cash" and "other." To replace my $1,500 Leica I have splashed out on a <a href=http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Vivitar+PN2011+35MM+Panoramic+Film+Camera+NEW+IN+BOX+>Vivitar PN2011 35MM Panoramic Film Camera New in Box</a>. The $9.95 shipping almost cleaned me out!