Film Winding Woes

byron_fry1

My first few rolls of film have been interesting, but workable, and yet, with

all the chemical mumbo jumbo and scanning and that jazz, my biggest problem

today is my film just doesn't seem to want to load on the roller. I am using a

patterson tank with a plastic reel. I never had problems on my first two

rolls, but these last three have been worse and worse. Does anyone have a clue

what the hell I am doing wrong?

With plastic reels you have to make absolutely sure they are clean and dry.

Wetting agents like Photo-Flo can leave residue that makes them "sticky", so be sure you

clean tanks and reels after every use.

Also, if the reel is wet, fuggedaboudit. Even the humidity given off by your arms in a

closed changing bag can be enough to moisten the reels and cause the film to stick.

I assume that the reels themselves are physically sound and aren't warped or deformed in

some way.

Not harder, but different - at least with GOOD steel reels. Hewes are the best I've used. Some folks claim that Nikors are just as good and that may very well be true. They can be loaded even when wet, though I don't recommend it. But good steel reels are expensive new, and I don't trust used for these items. They could be bent, making them worse than useless. Ultra plastic reels are cheap and good. They work every time unless you fail to dry and clean them well between uses.

Hit the reels with a hair dryer for a minute or 2 first. Also it seems to me that the newer the reels are, the more stubborn they seem to be. The older reels I have load easier than the new ones. Clipping film corners may also help. I used to struggle at first too but now 35 and medium format are a breeze. I have some steel reels I think about trying from time to time, but if it ain't broke...

My Patterson reels are the center loading kind. I had some once upon a time that were supposed to be autoloadind. Fortunately, you could also load them from the center. Any reel that requires you to push the film into a yard long spiral slot, whether or not it has the ball-bearing loading device, should be given my late father's treatment for his flexible screwdriver. When he finally realized your hand had to go where the head went, he gave what he called "a pious ejaculation" and threw it onto the next hill. That hillside is covered with new and improved devices he fell for. Well, he was an English professor.

Hitting the reels with a hairdryer could ruin the dryer. Better use a hammer.

Byron: take an expendable roll of film and try loading it in the daylight. You can then see what the problem is. Once you understand the problem, the solution becomes much more obvious.

There have been a lot of personal preferences posted above. But there are a lot of people who have been using Paterson reels very successfully for years. Diagnose your problem first.

My Patterson reels have always been a problem, the film seems to get caught up when winding. I have found this beneficial:

Before placing the film in the bag, retrieve the leader from the cassette. Cut the leader off of the film. Trim the corners at a slight angle to help the film glide over anything that might catch it on the reel.

This has helped me a lot!

What I do on my 120 size reels which I find much harder to load than the 35mm reels is this: I get a fine file and some fine sandpaper and I file and sand all the sharp edges off the "spokes" of the reel. I file and sand any place where the corner of the film might grab. It takes a little time and some patience, but its worth the while. When I am finished I can just push the film on, no "cranking". Another thing, is do not clip the corners off the film. In my experience, clipping the corners off just makes it harder to start the film. Gus.

I've used Paterson reels for twenty-odd years with no problems. As noted above, make sure the reels are bone dry. Also, after use, rinse them in clean water but don't scrub. All that does is roughen the surface and make them more inclined to pick up gelatin off the film and become sticky.

Are the grabbing balls in the Paterson reel dull grey? I've had much more problems with those than earlier shiny balls. The don't seem to release the film as well, and thus cause sticking. I have one Ultra reel and it works no sweat everytime. Those wide flanges are wonderful to get the film started correctly. Just make sure they're clean so you don't scratch the film. 5-10 minutes to load a Paterson...1 minute for an Ultra.

Just to support some above comments. If there was even the slightest wetness, the film will bind horribly. When I want to develop more than one batch I just put the ones I just used aside to thouroughly dry and use a set of dry ones. Also, I havehad much better luck loading my Paterson reels when I place my fingers under the leading edges and my thumb on top and ever so slightly turn the leading corners up and through the metal balls. It really helps with curly thin film like Efke. But once I figured out what worked for me I have had very few issues. With 120 film it is good to have a fairly square cut. With extra curly film I have had at times to end fore end the film. If 35mm jams it can be recut. 35 likes to be cut in between the holes, but since I have been using my fingers and thumb to guide the film inpast the oneway grabber balls Ihave never had a 35mm film jam. Also, if you are using old Paterson tanks, look very closely with a back light for cracks in the light trap and tank. I kept a couple old cracked ones for dust free storage for my spare reels, or can transfer film to them for washing when multiple batching...

Just had another thought. Does your camera put reverse curl on the film, i.e. does the film wind on to the take up spool in the same direction as the film is wound in the cassette, or does it take it under the spool and wind it emulsion-side out? If the latter, then rewind your film 24 hours before you want to process it and allow the film to regain its original curl.

OMG I just about fell out of my chair when I read that.

I only stick with the plastic because I inherited a bunch of stuff that included Paterson tanks and reels. I'd prpbably switch myself but I have more than enough and figured out how to load them. I have to admit it wasn't very fun sometimes.

But I have never to my knowledge eaten tripe. Perhaps there is some in hotdogs. I think there is stuff in hot dogs no hot dog eater wants to discuss.