Current Leica lens caps are terrible -- who else hates them and what are the alternatives?

g-man1

I hate them. They fall off with a gust of wind. If they were solidly on, I

wouldn't have to use a filter. There the absolute worst thing about Leica; worse

than the bottom loading, or rewind knob on an M3, or the vulcanite that rubs off

on white shirts. The cheapo Nikon 18-70 I have has a great, solid, cap. What's

the best alternative to the leica lens caps that people would recommend out there?

<...worse than the bottom loading, or rewind knob on an M3...>

I agree with you about the lens caps, but as far as these other two points, I think bottom loading contributes to the structural integrity of the camera body and the old-style rewind knob is stronger than the canted design and only minimally less convenient.

I hate to seem contentious over such seemingly minor points, but in case someone from Leica is reading this forum to take the pulse of the Leica community, I would want him to know that these design elements have their supporters.

As far as the vulcanite, the newer body covering, which resembles the non-slip surface of a modern bath tub, seems "cleaner," though the hand-feel of either is improved by the leather of a Luigi halfcase.

Now, back to those caps...

mine have hoods w/ dedicated caps which don't seem to be a problem (35mm Lux Asp & 28mm Elmarit V4). With some of the others such as the 50 crons, VC, or Zeiss caps are a problem. For what we pony up I'd expect better. I'm starting to use generics when in the field and only use Leica originals when I'm sporting a suit.

I totally agree, especially when thin B+W filters are mounted. Unluckily here in Germany nobody seems to be selling those McCormick (or how are they spelled? spices, which were frequently suggested, because their caps seem to fit just great on lenses with 39mm filter threads. Mavbe hoods are a way out, but I don't know who makes a vented one for my current 50mm 'cron.

Never use a cap on a lens when the lens is on the camera, not good for proper

exposure. In fact never leave home with a lens cap, about 35 years now. The only time I will

use a lens cap is

when I store a lens in the studio. I have a box full of Nikon, Leica, Mamiya caps that never

have been used. I do keep the Leica ones separate in case I sell a lens, you know how Leica

collectors are about caps. Like Mr. Kaplan I use

hoods when the lens is on the camera.

Is your cap one with the felt inside? Try soaking the felt, brush it up and let it dry. That should make it fit more snugly.

However, I would still leave the cap off when I go anywhere. I have a UV filter on my lens and if the sun is out I put the strap on my shoulder so that the lens faces in towards me.

Obvously mileage varies. I walk the beach and/or the park with my dog and Leica every day, sometimes twice a day. Always a cap on lens except when shooting. I have just returned from a 3 week sojurn in Morocco where I travelled by train, bus, camel, donkey. All the time lens with cap fitted. Never a problem. I do periodically check that it is in place, just as I periodically check everything else.

Now those dreadfully useless internal lens shades are a different story. I still can't believe that the same company that build the lenses also build those irritatingly useless shades. I only persist with them because thay are quick and compact. They certainly give absolute minimal protection, mainly physical rather than optical.

Cheers,

JA

I've never found much difference in operating caution and concern between push on, snap on, or clip on caps for Leica, and ultimately my main problem with caps for Leica or Nikon is simply which pocket to put it in and how to retrieve it easily without making the process totally awkward.

I normally wear shirts with a pocket, which helps a lot. If I'm wearing a rigid hood, I don't worry about the cap, but I like the compactness of the pull-out-built-in hoods. I don't like wearing a filter just for protection.

Maybe you need a camera that has a power button that retracts a protective lens diaphram as the lens telescopes from the camera body. (Sorry, I know that's ugly, but I couldn't resist, and they seem to eventually fail also anyway.)

JOCHEN SCHREY: How many McCormick's caps can you use? Let me know how many and I will send you a batch. The ones I get are usually red but occasionally a black one shows up in the kitchen. I like the red ones because they add a bit of class to an otherwise stodgy outfit -- much better than the meatball which I have painted black. Anyhow, let me know and I will send them for just the postage, or better yet trade for some gadget I can't find here. Regards, Dan

I think the best alternative is a lens shade.

I made an early decision that I wanted my M6 ready for use at its best at all times. So I discarded the lens cap and screwed a rigid shade onto my Summicron 50. I carry the camera round my neck except when this becomes inconvenient, in which case it's in a Crumpler bag, just one snap-buckle away from use. I also found it necessary to add a 'Rose' metter switch, otherwise the batteries run flat when the shutter release rubs against the inside of the bag.

Surprisingly, I don't get a big dust problem, and very rarely have to clean the front of the lens (maybe once a year). I do vaccuum the inside of the bag occasionally, but the Crumpler design is pretty dust-proof.

Works for me.

Any spring-loaded lens cap from any manufacturer or a generic will fit on any Leica lens if you're not fussy about it saying "Leica". The only ones I don't know about are the E39 caps, I don't think I've ever seen any plastic spring caps in that size other than Leica's but maybe someone else knows of some.

The only Leica cap I don't like is the one for the current 50/2, which is always coming off. I suppose the 35/2 is a little prone to come off but nothing like the 50mm. Of course I don't use filters so they stay on much better. With a filter on the 50mm it must be a real nightmare. Otherwise I have no issue with them. I once saw a neoprone cap "boot thing" that fitted my 50, but failed to buy it - I have never seen one again unfortunately.
Robin Smith