photo.net Now Accepts Credit Cards Directly (Pre Announcement)

mottershead

We have implemented the capability to pay for a photo.net subscription

directly with your credit card on a Secure Server, rather than going

through a PayPal account. The interface still allows you to pay via

PayPal, also.

<p>Before making it generally available, I will make the URLs

available here as a beta test for a while. If you use this new

facility, and your credit card is over-charged in any way, I will

refund the entire amount that you were charged, and let you have the

subscription (or renewal) for free.

<p>Here are the URL's for 1 and 3 year subscriptions:

<ul>

<li><a

href="https://www.photo.net/pay.adp?item=subscription&qty=12">One Year

Subscription for $25.00</a>

<li><a

href="https://www.photo.net/pay.adp?item=subscription&qty=36">Three

Year Subscription for $68.00</a>

</ul>

<p>Please post your experiences with this new interface, or problems,

in this thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like Peter Daalder already found an issue. Even though the documentation for the payment gateway says that "State" is required only for Canada and the U.S., it would appear it is also required for Australia. Currently, State is a select box, and only American and Canadian States are included in the list.

Brian, you know that I have never had any hassles with PayPal, but for the sake of trying out this new option, from outside the US, I can report the following:<br>

"Credit Card Authorization Failed." "The authorization system returned the following error: "The field Billing Address State is required."<br>"Perhaps you mistyped something, and correcting your card information will fix the problem."<p>Since the field Billing Address State is "US only", I deliberately left this blank...<br>

Peter, I've been watching the log, and I saw that you had a problem. I've changed the State field into a text box so that Australians can enter a state. I don't have a list of countries where "state" is required. (Actually, I do, but it just says Canada and the U.S., which is obviously not correct.) The payment gateway does not accept all the countries on the list, by the way. I already tried several where it failed.

That seems to have fixed that issue, Brian! <br>Transaction successfully completed:<br>"Your credit card has been charged US$ 25.00, and we have registered your new or extended subscription. The transaction id is 72U65566FW200025B. Please make a note of it in case you need to contact us about this payment. Thank you very much for your support of photo.net."

<p>Thank you very much for implementing this new way to show our support. There is no excuse for anyone with a credit card, now...

Patrick, I turned off the emailed receipts that we do with the PayPal subscriptions because with the credit cards, we don't have a reliable email address, only the one which people used to register on photo.net, which is frequently not reliable. I guess I could still send the mail to that address, and if people don't get the receipt -- well, I wouldn't be to blame for the fact that they haven't kept their email up to date, I suppose.

So far, six people from several countries have used the new capability to subscribe or renew.

It looks like the State thing is a bit confusing, since it has to be the two letter code for the U.S. and Canada, and is required for Australia (at least) but the states have to be spelled out, as in Tasmania. These rules were not documented. Once I changed the form to let Peter Daalder type in Tasmania, a couple of U.S.-based people got caught by the requirement to put in the two-letter state code, but the error messages were reasonably clear, and they figured it out on the second try.

Apart from that, it looks like it is working well. I will have to think about how to direct Americans towards the two-letter codes, while still letting Australians type in Tasmania, New South Wales, Queensland, etc.

I tried, but not successful so far. I gave correct information and clicked the United Kingom tab. Received the following:

"The credit card authorization failed. The authorization system returned the following error: "The country code in the billing address is invalid.".

Help?