Famous Leicaflex User

When noted landscape photographer David Muench uses a 35mm SLR, it is interesting to note that he uses a Leicaflex. He used one on his book New Mexico II for some of the shots. Not sure if he still uses it now however. My guess is that the camera was the SL2. Anyone know for sure? His lenses range from 21mm to 560mm. SR

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 19 years later...

Salgado is also a fan of the 60mm f2.8 Macro-Elmar R. He generally used it with 35mm f2 Summicron R and the 28mm f2.8 Elmarit R. He also was a fan of the manual exposure-only R6. Like the Leicaflex trio, the R6 and it’s version two were made in Germany. I found the metering arrows and dot in the R6 difficult to see so I sold it. I still prefer my pair of Leicaflex bodies with dud meters. I have long experience of using handheld.

last year I acquired three R8. Pity they cannot be repaired, that’s why I bought three. Still have the ‘flexes to fall back on. All 3 cam lenses but one, 3rd cam only. 

Two other very talented Leica SLR users were Fulvio Roiter and Ernst Haas. If you want to see some beautiful work you should take a look at them. They made spectacular pictures with the Leica SLR system and their fantastic talent.

• 2 months later...

Don't forget Fulvio Roiter. Beautiful photographs of numerous places in the world but specially his home town, Venice. Beautiful color and Black and White.  Another favorite of mine was Fred J. Maroon who used Leicaflex extensively and most specially Leica M with 21mm Leica lens for his pictures of America, including the White House interiors and exteriors. Both of these photographers produced beautiful books with their Leica cameras.

• 4 months later...

I’m grateful to wgpinc for mentioning Fulvio Roiter, I’d not heard of him but I’m going to take a look. Jeffrey L.T. Von Gluck mentioned DDD and his use of the 45-90 Angenieux f2.8 zoom (made, I understand, with several mounts to enable it to be used on different cameras, rather like the Schneider Kreuznach P.A. Curtagon 35mm f4 shift lens. I use one on my pair of Leicaflex bodies, a mk1 & mk11. I’d like the zoom and an English classic camera dealer has one in stock. Problem is it’s £899 + insured carriage of some £30. So I use the Schneider and an old 100 F4 macro Elmar for portraits. My meters don’t work so I use the Gossen Lunalite as it’s solid state.  Given that my bodies are 1964 & 1966, apart from the meters, they work fine. This stuff was certainly built to last. I prefer the Leicaflex to its successors the SL and SL2. I like the quirkiness of it combined with mirror lock. Preview button? I can look at the scale on the lens. I find that far more informative. However, the Curtagon is focused wide open and stopped down before the shot is taken anyway.