Would random people feel more comfortable photograph if the Photographer uses a smartphone?

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by johnfantastic, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SCL

SCL

I would think perhaps posing, as if taking a "selfie" might tend to deescalate potentially contentious situations

2. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

I also think: [Street] Photos of people cooperating can be good photos of course, but it's not a requirement for a good shot.

That's how I would classify it.

Agree. (Also agree on the comment about working with Actors.)

However, for Street Photography, I am usually not patient enough to do that: additionally the 'moment' often happens too quickly and before Subject - Photographer eye contact has been attained.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Selfies" Paris, 2012

In reference to the OP - people's reactions to smartphones vs DSLRs - both above taken with a DSLR + Battery Grip.

WW

3. I can relate to this as well.

There are so many different ways a street photo can come about, and the result doesn't always telegraph to a viewer how it came about.

On the street, I'm often drawn to something spontaneous and unfolding naturally seeming to have a staged or theatrical look. (Shakespeare comes to mind: All the world ...) The photo below was spontaneous and I doubt anyone in the frame was even aware I was there with my dslr and long 24-105 lens, though I took it at 24mm (something I rarely do) from pretty close, crouching down.

Think about couples kissing in public, a guy smoking a cigarette on the street corner ... Did Hollywood movies copy them or are they often unconsciously copying Hollywood movies. How spontaneous does spontaneous always look?

Much of my work plays with the ephemeral border between natural and artificial, staged and spontaneous. So I like playing around with all the many permutations of staged/spontaneous/candid/setup/cooperative/surreptitious when I'm on the street. I am inspired by how they all share some things, how they can stand apart or not, how they can mimic each other, complement each other, compete with each other, and provide me hours of fun shooting with all this in the back of my mind.

street-poet-P-ww.jpg

William Michael likes this.
  4. I like the "Pick a subject & price, then get a poem". It leaves us wondering who is getting a poem.
    Even more, what the person in the background is taking a picture of.
    And all, as far as we know, not knowing about this picture about to be taken.

5. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

"PicK a Subject & Price then Get a Poem" - works on a multiplicity of levels.
    Great shot! Bravo.

WW

6. Thank you, guys. My only regret is being so into taking pics that day that I neglected to get a poem for myself. I did, however, go back the next weekend, hoping he'd be there again, to give him a print. He so appreciated it!

7. I attended a college volleyball game for a girls' team. I used a small camera--a.Canon G12--but got a lot of nasty looks. I wonder what attention a large camera and lens would have drawn? Should I have taken some really tiny camera instead? I once took a Minox 35 into a Hershey's store and soon noticed Security trailing me around, so one of those is not small enough.

8. In some situations, nasty looks are going to be part of the landscape. Nothing you can do, certainly not the size of your equipment, and even a pleasant demeanor and non-threatening attitude, will alleviate what has become a very suspicious and intolerant society. It's more about how you are going to adapt to that than how you will be able to prevent it.

9. Some stores have strict rules on photography, as there might be trade secrets that could be exposed.

Or maybe you looked suspicious other than the camera.