whose the best photographer so far

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by eddyfernandez, Jun 24, 2019.

1. That's pretty much what we all said in our answers . . .

michaellinder and samstevens like this.
  2. lol. I was thinking the same thing.

ed_farmer likes this.
  3. Sometimes the question doesn't matter. The answers do.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. Wow, "best photographer so far"?

Weegee?
    Man Ray?
    Cartier-Bresson?
    Avedon?
    Florian Schulz?
    Paul Nicklen?
    Renato Dagostin?

Just some of the people whose work I have admired- a few are less obvious than others

michaellinder likes this.
  5. I have no list of "best photographers." Although I unfortunately never studied photography's history, I have come across a number of photographers who could vie for that description. I do agree with previous posts on this thread about the OP. To determine which photographer is the best, there must be a list of criteria that, in turn, should be universally accepted. Sorry, but no such thing . . .

6. A guy name Martin in my country St Lucia

7. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Not yourself, by any chance ?

8. michaellinder likes this.
  9. rgs

rgs

If I was asked this question and HAD to give an answer, I'd say Joseph Nicéphore Niepce.
    Well he may not be the BEST but he was the FIRST. So we all can say thanks to this man.

1826 takes some beating.

michaellinder and Ricochetrider like this.
  10. Robert Frank

michaellinder likes this.
  11. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Hmm... Ken Rockwell...
    [​IMG]

12. Bonus points for the ... nostalgia.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  13. Top this.

Bob Peebles likes this.
  14. Edwin Hubble, for whom the telescope is named, was no slouch as an astrophotographer. He was responsible for taking the photograph that showed that the Andromeda galaxy was indeed a galaxy separate from the Milky Way. Previously, it was commonly believed that Andromeda and other galaxies were located within our own Milky Way galaxy, and that the Milky Way encompassed all there was in the universe. His image is a fitting prelude to the Hubble (Telescope) deep field image.

"On the night of October 5-6, 1923, Carnegie astronomer Edwin P. Hubble took a plate of the Andromeda Galaxy (Messier 31) with the Hooker 100-inch telescope of the Mount Wilson Observatory. This plate, with identification number H335H ("Hooker plate 335 by Hubble"), is famous for having led to his discovery of the first Cepheid variable star in M31, which established beyond any doubt that M31 was a separate galaxy from our own." Hubble's Famous M31 VAR! plate

Bob Peebles likes this.
  15. Yeah I took a risk naming the “camera”.....
    ;)

I used to know an archer who worked on the Hubble testing the housing and such back in the early days of its development. He was also a NASA engineer, and his name was on the lunar lander.
    Those Hubble books led me to buy a 10” Dobsonian. Fascinating stuff.

ajkocu likes this.
  16. David Byrne from the Talking Heads is one of the better celebrity photographers and a couple of lines from one of the songs from his Stop Making Sense album summed up this post quite nicely in my opinion.
    "your always at your best
    when you stop making sense"

17. OK, to name a man whose images of the Everglades, paired with the work of Marjory Stoneman Douglas, helped to raise consciousness about the River of Grass' future - Clyde Butcher

18. I agree that Clyde Butcher is first class. First saw them in large scale murals at a Miami airport. I was stunned.

19. Nothing yet to touch the Hubble image of the Ultra Deep Field.
    And things are still moving along.....
    Deeper imaging.
    Older Light.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Glenn McCreery and Bob Peebles like this.