Which Camera(s) to Bring to Italy

jay_p.

<p>I'm going to be visiting Rome, Florence, and Venice next month for my wedding anniversary. I'll be there a total of 10 days, and am trying to figure out what camera(s) to bring with.<br>

Currently, I own the following (yes, I know it's excessive :-)):</p>

<ul>

<li>Canon 7D</li>

<li>Canon 40D</li>

<li>Battery grips for both the 7D and the 40D</li>

<li>Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM</li>

<li>Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM</li>

<li>Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM</li>

<li>Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM</li>

<li>Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM</li>

<li>Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM</li>

<li>Canon EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM</li>

<li>Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 di II VC PZD</li>

<li>Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 XR di VC LD</li>

<li>Canon Speedlite 270EX</li>

<li>Canon Speedlite 320EX</li>

<li>Canon Speedlite 430EX</li>

<li>Canon Speedlite 580EX (might be EX II--can't recall)</li>

<li>Canon SX40 HS</li>

<li>Canon SX260 HS</li>

<li>Canon G12</li>

<li>Canon SX90 or SX95 (can't recall which one I have)</li>

</ul>

<p>I don't want to have to lug around a bunch of equipment so I'm inclined to leave the SLRs and lenses at home. However, I'm not sure whether any of the point & shoots I own will be sufficient. I plan on taking photos for personal use only (though my dream--and it probably is pipe dream--is to eventually sell some of my photographs). <br>

At this point, I'm thinking the SX40 (with either the Speedlite 320 or 270) probably provides the best balance of quality, versatility, and light weight (maybe brining the S95 or the SX260 as a back-up, pocketable camera). However, I'd like your opinion as to which is the best camera (or combination of camera and lenses) to bring with me.<br>

Also, from what I've read, the SX50 HS is significantly better than the SX40 so I'm considering buying an SX50 if I can find one on sale around Black Friday. If you believe the SX50 would be a significantly better alternative than the SX40, please also let me know that.<br>

I've never been to Italy and greatly would appreciate any suggestions you all have to offer. Thanks in advance!</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I recently went to Italy with one full frame camera, one 24-70 lens, one 70-200 lens, and one speed light. I think I used the speed light once. I did take a tripod.</p>

<p>Don't take too much stuff, but take what you'll need to cover the core bases. Extra batteries and memory cards are more important than a lot of lenses, IMHO.</p>

<p>WOW you are going to be busy! Without knowing what it is you like to photograph, or anticipate photographing, I'd say go light and enjoy the trip. In my many trips there I always found that 1 body and 2 lenses was all I needed, and often more than I needed. I particularly like a really good wide angle lens - 28-35mm in full frame format, and another lens in the 50-90mm (full frame) range. Unless you will be doing a lot of night shooting (I didn't...that was my time especially for dining and entertainment), you don't need a big honker of a lens. I did some shooting in out of the way churches where, due to the hour of my visit or the design of the church itself, a wider aperture might have been nice, but with a little creativity, not necessary. And I made a particular point of accommodating my wife and periodically putting my camera aside to just enjoy our time together in new surroundings. BTW, I don't want to disabuse you of the idea of selling some shots, but honestly, unless you are extremely talented, creative, and have enormous good luck, everything you see will have been photographed millions of times by others hoping for the big break...so my advice is shoot for yourself, and enjoy what you manage to capture...then plan a return trip to scratch below the surface for all the things you missed during your first trip. And do take advantage of the foods, wines, architecture, and incredible art.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Without knowing what it is you like to photograph, or anticipate photographing, I'd say go light and enjoy the trip...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have to agree with this. A few years back I took a 2 week cruise/overland trip to Alaska. After much anguish and soul searching decided to go very light and took just a Canon S3-IS. No regrets at all. Enjoy the trip and don't worry so much about having the right equipment for any possibility.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pbase.com/rtope/alaska">http://www.pbase.com/rtope/alaska</a></p>

Presumably you are going for your wedding anniversary, not on a photography trip (and not for professional reasons). Are

you really going to have a lot of time to shoot the location without your wife? And do you really want to cart around a lot of

gear WITH your wife? If so she must be pretty understanding.

You are probably going to be happier going light, but you could bring a DSLR and a couple of lenses for those times when

you can work a scene and a nice capable point and shoot for when you're just out with your wife. In the old days, that

pocket camera would have been a Leica CL. These days it might be something like the RX100. But don't take too much.

Remember why you're there.

<p>Sorry, I don't have any experience with contemporary P&Ss. - I am tempted to believe that the 7D should be faster? Does bulk really matter? I mean even with a P&S you'll let go both hands and the mind from your wife to capture something. Some folks seem as occupied shooting with their smartphones as I am with a pair of DSLRs. Its a Leatherman (pocketable & great to have instead of nothing) vs proper screwdriver (faster!) question. Will you feel sore from carrying 7D & 24-105 open + 40D and 70-300 in your bag or backpack? Are your Tamron tourist zooms any good (in your eyes)? - When I went to Rome for 3 days I was happy to have a 20 - 200mm lens line spread over 2 or 3 bodies. - That city is just full of subjects. I don't see much use for the bigger speedlights on a trip. - If you want to go wild pack the smallest with a swivelhead or can you use a even smaller one with wireless sync held in your left hand?<br>

May I suggest asking your wife how her impression of your presence and preoccupation changes depending on the size of the camera in use? - Are you bearable at all while using a P&S or just cursing and sulking because it doesn't do what you want? </p>

<p>You mentioned an anniversary so photography isn't the primary purpose of the trip. A few years ago my wife and i did a walking tour of Cinque Terre and Tuscany starting in Florence that precluded bringing 20+ pounds of gear. I took a Canon G9, Canon 430 flash along with a Gitzo 0530 tripod and Really Right Stuff BH-25 ball head. The only shortcoming I felt was the desire for a wider angle view for architecture ( the G9 only goes to about 35 mm equivalent). The tripod allowed some nighttime images that I think are some of my best shots of the trip (night time shot of Ponte Vecchio). Also consider a time exposure at night of the Coliseum in Rome. I was concerned whether the G9 would provide good enough quality for larger prints but I ended up with some nice prints (13 x 19) from the trip. Some of the shots of the trip are in my Photonet portfolio. The main point-enjoy the anniversary with your spouse. Given your equipment list maybe pack a surprise gift instead of an extra lens. :-)) <br /> p.s. My wife edited this response</p>

<p>7D + Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM + G12.</p>

<p>My 'holiday' kit is a 5D series camera; a 24 to 105/4L IS; and a 35/1.4L; no speedlight; no tripod and a P&S as a backup. People's wants and needs vary - based on what I want and as you don't have a fast wide Prime, I'd just take the 17 to 55/2.8 with the 7D.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would take one body and your two best lenses. Concentrates the mind.<br /> I envy you your trip. Venice in the mists of winter is beautiful. My main suggestion is you research what you want to see so when you get there you know what you are looking at. I second the warm clothing suggestion.<br /> http://www.photo.net/photo/12711156<br /> For Venice get yourselves the water bus passes, get lost in the backstreets but do not forget the islands of the lagoon. Torcello is my fabourite but it may not be yours.</p>

<p>My travel formula is one camera (a DSLR with a rechargeable battery and extra memory card), one lens (a wide angle/telephoto zoom), a polarizing filter, a closeup diopter, and several hotel shower caps to act as 'camera raincoats' in the event of rain. On a trip to Ireland a few months ago I also took a table-top tripod and cable release, but I never used them. The camera goes over my shoulder, and everything else is in a fanny pack. I also take an extra memory card and a battery charger. Be careful with the memory card - if you need to change cards, be sure to put the full card in a safe place - DAMHIKT.</p>

<p>Ten days in Italy, with stops in Rome, Venice and Florence is a very busy trip. Concentrate on the experience - take lots of photos, but don't let yourself be bogged down with equipment.</p>

<p>7D with 10-22 and 24-105 would be my choice from the selection you have (and I might take the 40D along "as backup or replace the 24-105 with the 17-55). In many museums you can't take your bag with you, and in many churches you can forget about bringing in a tripod.</p>

<p>Went to the same cities almost two years ago - took a D300 with 10.5 fisheye, 11-16/2.8, 16-35/4, 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 the latter two saw hardly any use at all; the 16-35 was my "walkaround lens".</p>

<p>Haven't been to Venice (yet) - the other two, yes. In my view, ultra-wides are not a must. The churches are so extremely vast that you really don't need anything to underline how vast they are. I would bring a DSLR though. The P&S cameras are good, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, given the gear you have you seem to like a decent image, so bring something good.<br>

If you want to keep things light and easy, the DSLR with the Tamron 18-270 makes a compelling case. But interiors are often very dim, and tripods are generally forbidden inside. So, the slow f/6.3 aperture might work against it. Too bad you do not have a fast, wider prime (35 f/2 for example) to cover that. It depends quite a bit how much detail shots you want to make, but I'd probably settle for the 17-55 f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.8. Plus the 7D, without grip.</p>

<p>In comparison, for Rome and Florence, my main used lenses were a 16-85 f/3.5-5.6, 35mm fast prime, 105mm fast prime (on APS-C Nikon D300). In Rome I carried a 180mm f/2.8, and my back wished I left it at home. Used it for a few shots I could also have managed on 105mm.</p>

<p>Enjoy, you're going to see absolutely marvellous cities.</p>

<p>i think it all depends on your endurance. If you have a strong back and are in relatively good health, you can lug equipment around if you choose. For me, I've had a problem with my back since my 20's and it starts to ache when I have my Canon 5D but especially the lenses such as the 24-70 and especially the 85mm portrait lens which I do occasionally...i started to use a top notch point and shoot camera but it just does not compare to an L lense in the Canon family...but people have recommended extra batteries and memory cards which is a must...you may also want to have a way to download those images from a memory card but that's not critical (you could always buy another memory card while on a trip)...i have a large flash unit, the 550EX but wish I had a smaller unit...not sure which one to bring, others will know though...i also like to use a polarizing lenses and occasionally bring graduated density filters...good luck and have a great time....David</p>

<p>Thank you all for the responses. I can't believe how many I have received in less than 24 hours!<br>

FWIW, although I bought the G12 for myself, wife has taken to using it as her camera. Due to carpal tunnel (at least that's the reason she gives me), she doesn't like the small P&S, nor can she handle a DSLR. Consequently, she has found the G12 to be a great compromise. I haven't yet asked her if she plans on bringing the G12 for herself.<br>

Originally, I was thinking of passing on the 7D and lenses because they weigh so much and take up so much space. i was thinking the SX40 might do the trick because it has so a wide focal range. However, so many of you have suggested that I bring the 7D that I am now having to rethink things. I'm still concerned about the weight and bulk, though. Within the past year or so, I've taken to traveling with the 7D and just one of my Tamron lenses or just using the SX40. Do you think the 18-270 or the 28-300 would be fast enough for indoors when flash is not allowed?<br>

I originally bought the 7D because I shoot a lot of photos at my kids' sporting events and the high frame rate is great for that. I'm figuring, though, that I won't need much burst on my trip. Is that an accurate assumption?<br>

Another specific question: For this trip, will I need long focal length? If not, what is the longest length you think I need (if I bring the 7D)?<br>

I'd still appreciate some comments as to whether the SX40 (or an SX50) would be a good compromise.<br>

At this point, I'm thinking the s95 would be good to bring as a back-up because it is so small.<br>

Additional info: We will be taking a private tour of the Vatican and will be visiting the Coloseum and Trevi Fountain while in Rome. I can't recall the rest of our itinerary but will post that info later, after I've spoken about it with my wife.<br>

Thanks again for all the responses!</p>

<p>I shoot Nikon, but when I was last in Italy and Venice, I travelled light. My camera was a DSLR, DX sensor, D300s, lens used the most, 16-85mm f3.5-5.6; second lens was a fast prime lens for inside locations (museums and churches) , like a 20mm, 35mm or a 50mm, your choice. Why prime? So it is small that it fits inside my pants pocket or jacket pocket so I do not take a camera bag with me while I am walking around Italy. Camera and small profile zoom lens goes over my shoulder and is hidden by my jacket. I had two tripods with me--a regular one that I used in early morning when most cities were deserted, and a pocket sized one that I used when necessary inside churches and other locations when I did not want to be seen with a regular tripod. This pocket sized tripod is a must have in Europe as far as I am concerned. My regular camera bag stayed in my hotel most of the time as I did not want to identify myself as a photographer in Italy. I left my flash at home. In Venice make sure you go to the islands around the city like Murano. Joe Smith</p>

<p>IMHO December (winter but before Carnival) is the ideal time to visit Venice, because there will be far less tourists and also because the peculiar light conditions (exactly like in the paintings by Canaletto). These conditions however also do pose a serious challenge to photography. Everything will be grey and hazy, without shadows and contrast, and photos thus risk coming out rather dull and flat. My suggestion is to select your equipment carefully in view of these conditions, and then try and use them to advantage rather than fighting a hopeless war against them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm figuring, though, that I won't need much burst on my trip. Is that an accurate assumption?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I do need the fast burst - to acquire the bracketed exposures for HDR (using a Nikon D300 or D700, it takes five shots to span the -2 to +2 EV range).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For this trip, will I need long focal length? If not, what is the longest length you think I need (if I bring the 7D)?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Obviously, I can't say if YOU need it - I usually don't. But it means that I am missing some detail shots I would have gotten otherwise. </p>

<p>I want to emphasize again that many museums (the Vatican museum for sure) will not let you in with a camera bag - whatever you need inside, you need to carry without a bag. You can check the bag at the entrance - something I didn't want to do so I missed the Vatican museum (and one or two others).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would bring a DSLR though. The P&S cameras are good...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Another point I need to emphasize - for myself I made the decision that I want to bring the best gear I can when traveling and rather compromise on the lens selection than starting with a camera that I don't feel is up to the task. After all, I can't easily go back for a re-shoot (and whatever P&S I used left me wanting for something better). Looking back at my trip to Italy, I could easily have gotten away with the 16-85 and 11-16 on my D300 (or the 16-35 but it would only have added bulk and weight without added benefits). </p>

<p>Having said that - the new Sony RX-10 looks like a traveler's dream camera: 24-200 equivalent at f/2.8 throughout and with image stabilization, 1-inch sensor (like the Nikon 1 Series), less than two pounds - it's not inexpensive though.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My daughter is in Florence now for school and just visited Rome. It's a lot rainier than she is used to being from just outside of Los Angeles. I'm still wondering about kitting up for a trip in February. I tend to agree with those advocating simpler kits with fewer lenses, etc. We'll have a similar length trip and likely hit Rome, Florence and maybe up to Austria for a couple of days. With the moving around, it seems that a simpler kit that I can just keep in one "bag" will work better than trying to take too much and trying to pare down for a given day from a larger kit bag, etc.</p>

<p>I'm torn on taking a longer zoom because I don't know that the pace will allow for a lot of time to be swapping out the lenses to catch small or distant details, etc., and then back to wider lenses for more general architectural and scenic subjects. If I compare to a trip to Washington DC a while back, I never used the 70-300 and almost never used the tripod except in other spots on the trip. Same with a flash - but not having been there, I can't help but think I might need/want them and even perhaps a travel tripod.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“I've taken to traveling with the 7D and just one of my Tamron lenses or just using the SX40. <strong>Do you think the 18-270 or the 28-300 would be fast enough for indoors when flash is not allowed?</strong> . . . I'm figuring, though, that <strong>I won't need much burst on my trip.</strong> Is that an accurate assumption? Another specific question: For this trip, will I need long focal length? If not, <strong>what is the longest length you think I need (if I bring the 7D)?</strong> I'd still appreciate some comments as to <strong>whether the SX40 (or an SX50) would be a good compromise.”</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong> </strong><br>

The 18 to 270 would be fast enough for me “<em>indoors when flash is not allowed</em>”, because I would, not be using it for Portraiture and I would be using it for mainly Architecture and at the wider end of the zoom: I would prefer slightly wider than 18mm, though. The 28 to 300 would definitely NOT be wide enough for me.</p>

<p>I don’t think I have used burst mode on holidays ever.</p>

<p>I’d like about 135 on a 7D, but I would like that with speed. I use 5D’s and ideally I would like a 24 to 200F/2.8 zoom: my compromise is a 24 to 105 F/4 IS. It’s all about compromise if you want to take only one lens: you can crop a bit out of the 7D: I crop a truckload out of some shots when I have to use 105 and it is not long enough.</p>

<p>I use a PowerShot SX40HS as my holiday backup camera. Although I know the camera well and I believe that I can push it to the limits: I would not use it as my first camera for several reasons: some are - I really like only using available light; I like making portraits; I like indoor architecture – these are all a lot easier with my 24 to 105/4 IS on a 5D series camera, than using the SX40HS. I do use the movie facility of the Powershot, rather than making movie with the DSLR.</p>

<p>Some of these are shot in Italy: <a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=1051323">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1051323</a><br>

As you might note – shooting Available Light you can quickly get to the region of F/4 @ 1/8<sup>th</sup> @ ISO3200. </p>

<p>WW<br>

</p>

<p> <strong> </strong></p>