Which Camera(s) to Bring to Italy

jay_p.

<p>Just to emphasize key points: flash is not allowed for inside shooting; anything that looks like a large bag or backpack, sometimes even a very small one, will have to be checked when you enter a museum, some public buildings, etc. Hence the recommendations above to go small and light in Italian cities, and other European cities too. If you want to take a longer lens, use it in the early am or late afternoon. I would not take it with me during the day as it will make your kit too large. <br>

Joe Smith</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Just to emphasize key points: flash is not allowed for inside shooting; anything that looks like a large bag or backpack, sometimes even a very small one, will have to be checked when you enter a museum, some public buildings, etc. Hence the recommendations above to go small and light in Italian cities, and other European cities too. If you want to take a longer lens, use it in the early am or late afternoon. I would not take it with me during the day as it will make your kit too large. <br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>I can't see the point of buying quality equipment if you don't take it to places where you're likely to get good photographs. That said I'd pare down the kit to that which I could keep in one medium sized bag- one dslr, a compact or similar for backup and whenever a dslr prejudices the ability to photograph , and two lenses. Its not a question of whether the locations demand a longer lens, its a question of whether you do. Personally I find a longer zoom very useful in cities but I have the f4 70-200 IS which is smaller and lighter than your equivalent. </p>

<p>Tripod? Well I always take one and for landscapes etc I use it all the time. In cities it tends to stay in my hotel unless I need it. I'll often carry a tripod on dawn/evening walks but leave it behing if I've got bright light to play with or if I'm going to locations where a tripod is likely to create issues for me. </p>

<p>Anyway much of this depends oon whether you'll be walking alone or with a tour group or even with a group of family/friends that will dictate your pace. If the latter two I've never felt able to photograph as I would like and either not photograph or settle for a compact. </p>

<p>I know Venice very well and have visited many times in all seasons. Winters can be very bright and very cold or a dank mist can settle on the place. I cancelled one December trip because 70% of the pavements were under water following torrential rain and a particularly high acqua alta! But Venice remains the most beautiful and enchanting city. One thing is sure. You get your best experience walking, especially off the beaten track. Get a vaporetto ticket for 3 days or a week and jump on and off as often as you like. But most of the time you will be on small side canals away from the vap routes. When I go now, I usually spend a few days and never go anywhere near St Mark's or the Rialto, preferring to stick to non-tourist districts. If you want to see St Mark's get there early in the morning, especially if there are any ghastly cruise ships in port! I usually take one DSLR and a couple of lenses covering wide angle to standard and standard to say 135mm. I always have a backup (now a Fuji X100). You will learn that there are 3 prices for most things in Venice. Cheap for Venetians, a little more for non-Venetian Italians and much more for non-Italians! A fun place to sit out in the evening and enjoy a spritzer is the Campo Santa Margherita in the University area. 25% of the price of St Mark's square and full of locals.</p><div>00cBYf-543780584.jpg.a4721a6b4eb6d1c0434ffe5de737160f.jpg</div>

<p>7D 17-55 and 70-300mm - you're done. If you must, take the G12 as backup.<br>

Another alternative is the 10-22 and 24-105mm combination. I would like the f2.8 at least somewhere though. Certainly, the 300mm of the 70-300mm is unlikely to get much use. I've been to Italy a lot in the past.<br>

You don't need flashes.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>If you end up taking a DSLR, I've been impressed by the modern sling straps like the Black Rapid ones that let you sling the SLR to your side, even under your coat and have it seem a bit less heavy and awkward. I have some pretty bad back problem, and I experimented last weekend slinging the Canon 5D and 24-105 on the Cotton Carrier belt strap and it felt pretty good. I also tried it on the Black Rapid and it was much less of a strain on my back than it would have been around my neck. The belt system from Cotton Carrier was easiest on my back but the Black Rapid was faster to bring up and take a shot.</p>

<p>If I was traveling, I would leave the neck straps behind and take something better.</p>

<p>Forgive me if somebody's already said this, but if you want there to be another wedding anniversary, leave it all at home and concentrate on the reason you're there -- your spouse. If my wife and I went on a trip like this and I spent the entire time taking pictures, I'd be taking the next trip by myself. :)</p>

<p>If we went on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to a place like Venice it would be my wife who was all over me about what camera I was bringing and would want to make sure I was well-armed, and would be upset with me if I didn't have one handy to record something she wanted to remember. It's about the partnership - don't forget to ask your spouse what they want.</p>

<p>Yes, as Harry said "acqua alta" (high water = flooding) can be a major problem in Venice in winter. Unfortunately it is completely unpredictable, unless with a few hours' warning. If it is relatively mild (say, no more than 20-30cm above the pavement), you can simply buy (NOT IN VENICE!!!) a pair of rubber boots, but if it goes higher then a trip to Venice becomes highly unpractical. If you already are in the area and must skip Venice, then please be aware that the neighbouring towns (Verona, Padua, Mantua, to a lesser degree Vicenza) are also very beautiful tourists' attractions on their own.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would take one body and your two best lenses. Concentrates the mind.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Great advice!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In my view, ultra-wides are not a must.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed. They distort architecture badly. A lightweight telephoto for capturing portraits and distant details would be more useful.</p>

<p>As mentioned by others, here's another good reason to pack lightly. Venice floods.</p>

<p>Also, many of the big tourist sites in Italy won't let you in with a backpack. Whatever camera gear you want to carry, you'll need to carry by hand.</p><div>00cC1a-543838584.jpg.57de3d49e032e5806b42d366a4ebdad5.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you all so much for your continued feedback.</p>

<p>The more I think about things (especially this being my anniversary trip and not a photography excursion), the less inclined I am to bring my 7D and, instead, to stick with something simple. My reasons for this include: (a) I don't want to have to worry about changing lenses while touring, (b) I don't want to carry the weight and bulk of the 7D and lenses, and © I don't want to be concerned about bag restrictions. At this point, the only reasons why I would bring the 7D are: (a) using a fast lens like my 17-55 f/2.8, I could take photos indoors without a flash and (b) using the Tamron 18-270, I could cover a large focal range. </p>

<p>This morning I was doing a little pre-Black Friday window shopping online and discovered that Canon has made, what appear to be, some significant upgrades to the s-line since I bought my s95 and to the G-line since I bought my G12 (I really haven't been following the camera market the last few years). In particular, the G16 and s120 have caught my eye (I also notice that B&H has really good deals on the G15 and s110). So, now I am thinking that perhaps if I upgrade the s95 or the G12 and just bring the new camera, that would suffice for my purposes (at this point, keepsake photos that, perhaps, I would want to blow up to 20x30 and frame to hang in my house).</p>

<p>With all that in mind, I greatly would appreciate your input as to whether an s-Series or G-Series camera would suffice for the trip. Some specific questions I have are:</p>

<ol>

<li>Will I notice a difference between the s95 and the s120 or between the G12 and the G16? Is the difference worth the price of the upgrade costs?</li>

<li>Between the s120 and the G16, which would you recommend purchasing and why? (At this point, I'm leaning toward the G16 because at f/1.8 (W) - 2.8 (T) versus f/1.8 (W)- f/5.7 (T) for the s120, the G16 should be better in low light situations, which is I concern I have.)</li>

<li>Is there any point to me considering the G15 ($299 at B&H this weekend) or s110 ($249 at B&H this weekend) instead of the G16 or s120? If so, which one?</li>

<li>If I were to bring a G16 (or my G12 if I don't upgrade) or the s120 (or my s95 if I don't upgrade) to Italy and leave my DSLRs at home, would you recommend I bring the HS260 or SX40 too just to cover long distances if need be? (Conveniently, the SX40 and G16 use the same battery :-))</li>

</ol>

<p>Any other input you have regarding these cameras would be greatly appreciated.<br>

<br>

Thank you all again for your responses. Happy Thanksgiving!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With all that in mind, I greatly would appreciate your input as to whether an s-Series or G-Series camera would suffice for the trip.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is no right or wrong answer to that - just your own personal preference. If you have decided not to take the DSLR and lenses then the G or S series cameras are reasonably capable. Personally , as a 5D II and G12 owner I would always take the DSLR on such a trip as I like to get the best possible quality images I can. I agree with David Henderson when he asks why own this gear and then not take it with you? I would only take the G12 where the DSLR would just be impractical.<br>

<br /> With the G12 I would miss the wide angles below 28mm and the telephoto beyong 140mm. I would also miss the top end of the ISO range. But the G12, for example, should get you some decent photos but perjaps not the best you could have got with the DSLR. But if the G12 or whatever, suits your priorities for the trip then that is what you should take.<br>

<br /> Whatever you decide have a great time!</p>

<p>@Jim Downs, although your response brought a smile to my face, I don't think my wife would be with me much longer if I did this. It's actually our 20th anniversary, and I promised her this trip something like 19 years ago (for our first anniverary)--we just never made. Because this trip is so special for her and because she puts up with me constantly dragging my collection of cameras and lenses pretty much wherever we go, I figure that for two weeks I could focus on her and not the photography. Hence, after some soul-searching, I have come to the conclusion that the photographs I take will be for our personal use, to remember the trip, not for my perfectionist tendancies. That is why I now am so heavily leaning against the 7D. Still trying to figure out whether it is worth buying a G16 and bringing that rather than going with the G12, S95, the SX160, or the SX40. I know all of those are slower in operation than the 7D but they are significantly lighter and take up far less space. From what I have read, the G16 is supposed to be much faster (not only in terms of aperture but also auto-focus and operation) than the prior G models so I'm hoping it will come closer to the 7D than what I've got with the other P&S cameras in my collection.</p>

<p>Hi, All. I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I need to make a decision as to whether I'm going to bring one of my existing cameras and buy something new.</p>

<p>Today, I called Adorama to inquire about my options. When I placed the call, I was heavily leaning toward buying a G16 and bringing that, along with the SX40 (for distance shots), with me on the trip. However, the salesman recommended that I go with the G1 X instead so I now I'm really confused. The G1 X seems as though it generally has a better IQ than the G16 and might be better in low light (though I'm not certain if that's the case) but it apparently is not as fast with the autofocus and doesn't handle macro well (I love taking macro shots so that is a big minus). Any thoughts on the G16 vs. G1 X--which would be better for the trip and why?</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>G1-X will be better in some ways as it has a larger sensor, but the lens is not so fast as the G16. Personally I don't see what's wrong with taking the 7D or the 40D with just the 17-55 f2.8 <em>which you already own</em>. There is no reason whatsoever to take more lenses if you don't want to. The 17-55 is really good and will cover pretty well everything you would want to take and, if it doesn't, you can't take the shot (so what? You probably couldn't take it with the G16 either). I think you are wasting brain power on a simple issue. If you don't want to change lenses: don't bring any others.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>@Stefan T., I have not looked at the M4/3 cameras, in large part because I have considered them as money pits. I say that only because I am concerned that if I buy an M4/3, it only will lead me down the path of spending more money on lenses and other accessories.<br>

One of the reasons I am so attracted to the G16 and G1X is that I already have an assortment of compatible equipment, including extra batteries and chargers (the SX40, G16, and G1X all use the same battery) and Canon Speedlites. As a result, if I go with a G16 or G1X, I don't have to worry about buying those accessories. Plus, as an added bonus, if decide to go with just the G16 or G1X, I can bring along the SX40 and swap batteries.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>G1-X will be better in some ways as it has a larger sensor, but the lens is not so fast as the G16. Personally I don't see what's wrong with taking the 7D or the 40D with just the 17-55 f2.8 <em>which you already own</em>. There is no reason whatsoever to take more lenses if you don't want to. The 17-55 is really good and will cover pretty well everything you would want to take and, if it doesn't, you can't take the shot (so what? You probably couldn't take it with the G16 either). I think you are wasting brain power on a simple issue. If you don't want to change lenses: don't bring any others.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks, Robin. I just listed all the responses so far that deal only with the equipment I already own. There is a strong consensus that I should bring the 7D and 17-55 f/2.8 (including two responses that I bring the G12 as a back-up). A second group has recommended the 7D, the 10-22 and the 24-105. Tomorrow or Friday, I'll take out the 7D, the 17-55, the 10-22, the 24-105, and (just for kicks) the 18-270 to see how they compare weight-wise. At this point, I'm guessing the 24-105 will simply be more weight than I want to carry (especially if I throw in the 10-22). I'm not sure how heavy the 17-55 will be so I'll want to give that a try. If I were to add a second lens with the 17-55, I think it would be the 18-270.</p>

<p>My told me she wants to bring a camera herself. As I previously mentioned, she has claimed the G12 as hers so I am still toying with the idea of buying a G16 (or the s120) for myself and bringing it as my back-up and walk around camera in case I don't want to bring the 7D somewhere.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I took the SX40 on my latest trip to Arizona, it was nice to travel light, did not miss a DSLR :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've been pretty pleased with the SX40 as an all-purpose travel camera. When I went to California last September, I left everything at home except the SX40 and got some very nice shots at Hearst Castle. It especially does well outdoors.</p>

<p>"@Stefan T., I have not looked at the M4/3 cameras, in large part because I have considered them as money pits. I say that only because I am concerned that if I buy an M4/3, it only will lead me down the path of spending more money on lenses and other accessories.<br /> One of the reasons I am so attracted to the G16 and G1X is that I already have an assortment of compatible equipment, including extra batteries and chargers (the SX40, G16, and G1X all use the same battery) and Canon Speedlites. As a result, if I go with a G16 or G1X, I don't have to worry about buying those accessories. Plus, as an added bonus, if decide to go with just the G16 or G1X, I can bring along the SX40 and swap batteries."</p>

<p>That's a real good reason!</p>