Which Camera(s) to Bring to Italy

jay_p.

<blockquote>

<p ><a name="00cDXd"></a><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=4163560">Keith L</a>, Dec 07, 2013; 12:36 p.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I just came back fro Italy last month, with the same itinerary (Rome-Florence-Venice). All I needed was a Sony NEX6 and 16-50mm. I would suggest something similar, if not the same.</p>

</blockquote>

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the NEX6 is more than I wanted to spend for what will end up being my fifth P&S camera purchased in the last four years or so (it appears to be about $750 for body and 16-50mm lens).

After quite a bit of soul-searching, I decided to pull the trigger on the G16. I put the 17-55mm lens on the 7D and held it for awhile. I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing just the 17-55mm and thought I would want something else with more reach--either the SX40 or the Tamron 18-270 or Tamron 28-300. Ultimately, I concluded that was more bulk than what I wanted. After reading numerous reviews and comparing the specs, I believe (hope?) I will see a significant improvement between the G16 and the G12 and that the G16 will hold its own for most of my needs on the trip (if my wife weren't planning on using the G12, I might have gone ahead and just brought the G12).

I do want to bring somethign with a bit more distance just in case so now I'm just deciding between the SX260 and the SX40. The SX260 has the advantage of being significantly smaller than the SX40; I often will wear it in a belt case. On the other hand, the SX40 has a much further reach, can take almost twice as many shots on one battery charge than the SX260 (400 vs. 230), and uses the same battery and charger as the G16 so I would only need to bring one battery charger and wouldn't have to worry about ever running out of juice (I already have two batteries for the SX40, and the G16 comes with two batteries). Hmmm....decisions, decisions, decision.....

Thank you all again for your responses and input!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...