What type of digital cameras do you own and use?

What type of digital cameras do you have and use?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What type of digital cameras do you have and use?

• dSLR(s) only.
    • Both dSLR(s) and non dSLR(s) non-small sensor camera(s)
    • Only non-dSLR non-small sensor camera(s)
    • I seldom use dSLR now and use non-small sensor camera(s)
    • I seldom use dSLR now and use small sensor camera(s)
    • Only "small" sensor camera(s)

Just a curious question. With my camera club I know those who have switched from dSLR and some of them said they don't intend to return back to dSLR. For myself while I shoot scenic I have also thought about it since I mostly shoot at base ISO and static images and I am usually out all day and taking public transportation.

Non small sensor digital means those with a larger than the very consumer ones such as Nikon 1,Sony RX100, M43 and the above etc. Can be with or without interchangeable lenses.

I love 'em all, and use 'em all

The long and the short and the tall.

Your "answers" are too limited. Different kinds of cameras have many different applications.

I also shoot lots of film, by the way.

• Like 5

I love 'em all, and use 'em all

The long and the short and the tall.

Your "answers" are too limited. Different kinds of cameras have many different applications.

I also shoot lots of film, by the way.

I didn't wanted to make the list so long. There is the option of dSLRs and other non-small sensor cameras. Thou one could also be using small sensor as well.

Re: film. I wanted this to be based around digital and see the affect of what people are doing with a medium called digital that most people use. Haven't some camera officials have said the future may be mirrorless.

What is the definition of small sensor/

Similar to what Dpreview.com defines it. Smaller than a sensor one finds in a large sensor compact. So your average Canon IXUS etc ...

The choices in the ballot make little sense, unless you are assuming all DSLR's are full frame.

Most DSLR cameras are still APS-C and there are plenty of non DSLR's in this format. These are not usually considered small sensor.

I treated dSLRs as APS-C sensor or full frame. I treated non small sensor as those that are not dSLRs like the Nikon 1, M4/3, APC-S sensor or full frame.

I wanted to see if people were using a more traditional dSLR or moving into mirrorless a bit more.

Perhaps I should have added the term non-dSLR non small sensor camera.

All.

I love and shoot my CCD Leica Ms most. That 's not necessarrily rational but I am not a business. They give me a decent mix of (potential) image quality, comparably portable, probably quite decent lenses and "good old film days" vibes.

My early Fujis do at best keep what classic point and wait cameras promised but perform way worse than even the old Pentax / Samsung screwdriver AF DSLRs. Their JPEG processing is great though. - They are my closest match to a fire and forget camera system. Some times I wander (photografically) aimlessly with a seasoned or crappy small sensored point & wait.

Yes, I am somewhat pondering the big upgrade, but can't make up my mind. - If an EOS 5D IV had the option to mount Fuji MF's swiveling, to be a chimney finder EVF, I'd be hooked and buy it + a 70-200mm.

So far I mostly avoided the big DSLR bulk; a Sigma 24mm f1.8 is my only lens of that kind, spends most of the time at home and nudged me towards Leica.

I can't offer much advice in the current shopping dilema. - Personally I'd file Nikon 1 as

definition of small sensor
If you fall for contemporary Fuji and have the $$s to get your decent lenses together in a new system and don't mind a bag full of power bar + wall warts on vacation to recharge more than one battery overnight things might work out for you. To my understanding there is a hint of a weight saving option; 2 bodies and consumer zooms seem to equal a Nikon with endless tourist zoom. With Sony you'd gain IBIS, trade in UI and be stuck with DSLR lens bulk.

I'm sitting on the fence. - A Pentax K1 isn't very appealing to me. While according to some reviewers the best landscape DSLR and quite affordable it lacks the snappy sports AF I am dreaming of, weighs a lot and the current lens line isn't very appealing. - I am also concerned about quality and durability. - Shooting a system for a while triggers doubts and depending on the used market to replace my lenses when they'll fall apart sucks.

Might I give Fuji a 2nd chance? - Someday yes. But right now I can get a "sufficiently awesome" used crop SLR for 200 Euro. I also like a chance to stack stabilisation with reasonably fast primes.

Maybe I'll end with Canikon for the serious long end and a used A7 II + adapters for the casual variant. I don't really need a whole lot of megapixels.

What am I doing with my crop DSLRs? - I shoot products in a studio and occasionally cover an event with them and the kit isn't wrong for vacations either. - I'd need a 2nd FF Leica to retire DSLRs on vacation with others. 12-24mm, kit zoom 50 and 135mm + 2 bodies get me far enough and macro lenses work well with products.

In the long run I'll rather mix systems than re-purchase every focal length once again.

Similar to what Dpreview.com defines it. Smaller than a sensor one finds in a large sensor compact. So your average Canon IXUS etc ...

I treated dSLRs as APS-C sensor or full frame. I treated non small sensor as those that are not dSLRs like the Nikon 1, M4/3, APC-S sensor or full frame.

I wanted to see if people were using a more traditional dSLR or moving into mirrorless a bit more.

Perhaps I should have added the term non-dSLR non small sensor camera.

Raymond thanks for the clarification.

I used to carry a large camera kit and was happy to do so, but age and arthritis caught up with me. Something had to change, so I now have a Fuji X100s and a Panny LX-100 (only taken out one at a time). I nearly bought a Sony A6000 but knew I would end up carrying a set of lens choices. Someone mentioned having to carry a spare battery with a small sensor camera, I always felt the need to carry a spare with my Canon DSLR.

There are excellent photo's on this site taken with 1 inch sensors, TV news and news papers seem happy to publish stuff taken on mobile phones, not that they always look good.

Horses for courses and to add another you pay's your money and etc.

Edited by Gerald Cafferty

I have both and am looking for a 3rd.

• DSLR, Nikon D7200, replaced my dead D70
  • P&S, Cannon A3300

But now I want something in between. Better than the A3300 but not as heavy and bulky as the D7200,

Cuz I find that I use the A3300 more, because the D7200 is too heavy and bulky to take everywhere. But the A3300 does not give me the image control that I want.

Maybe a high end P&S or a mirrorless.

I have several old film cameras sitting around, including a legacy Ikoflex DLR that was my grandfather's, a Nikon FM, a Nikkormat EL, and several others, all now just for show and to feed my nostalgia fetish. All of my photography is now done on my Nikon DSLR's: D5100 and D7100, with my cell phone covering photos-of-opportunity and snapshot duties. I'm saving up for a D810 and more FX lenses (someday), but my two APS-C cameras will have to do for while.

Anything that records an image... Yesterday I went hiking and shot with my iPhone, a Pentax K3, a Pentax 645N, and a 4x5. Somewhere around here I have an old Pentax M40, too, but haven't used it in awhile. I have several others I sometimes use, but those 4 are usually what get used the most.

I do not identify my equipment by its category so much. If it fits myr grasp and I can understand it - make sense of its personality so to speak, then I use it as needed, when the muse hits. i was just thinking of the song from Finian;s Rainbow of how I love the girl ( camera) I am near. And i guess I can snuggle up to anything called a camera. Or rather put it this way. I have. I am fickle, but it is after all man machine interface. Or to keep the metaphor a mating of two in harmony. Why do you really care? In the real world, my tastes are for medium grade product that will last a while. And as for lenses, there is the real trick. I like long rather than wide. Long and slender rather than short ,wide and broad beamed I suppose. If that helps. I doubt it but heck it is your nickel.

Just a curious question. With my camera club I know those who have switched from dSLR and some of them said they don't intend to return back to dSLR. For myself while I shoot scenic I have also thought about it since I mostly shoot at base ISO and static images and I am usually out all day and taking public transportation.

Non small sensor digital means those with a larger than the very consumer ones such as Nikon 1,Sony RX100, M43 and the above etc. Can be with or without interchangeable lenses.

I just lost my Sony RX100, and bought a used RX1. It came today, and I've only used it in the living room, but, so far, I'm Very impressed. I think I'll be taking it places instead of my Nikon D750. And I always have my iPhone SE with me!

Edited by nedvoelker

"answers" are too limited.

Completely agree with that. That is why there are only a few votes. But I guess mainly, the OP just want to know

if people were using a more traditional dSLR or moving into mirrorless a bit more.

So, my answer is directly to that: I own and use all kinds of digital cameras, except MILCs

A little confused by the categories, but basically with the developing technology I have been using exclusively "advanced Bridge" cameras for the last 10 years or so. I currently just replaced my Finepix S7000 with its afocal tele & w/a converters with a Finepix 9100.

• 2 months later...
I have several old film cameras sitting around, including a legacy Ikoflex DLR that was my grandfather's, a Nikon FM, a Nikkormat EL, and several others, all now just for show and to feed my nostalgia fetish. All of my photography is now done on my Nikon DSLR's: D5100 and D7100, with my cell phone covering photos-of-opportunity and snapshot duties. I'm saving up for a D810 and more FX lenses (someday), but my two APS-C cameras will have to do for while.

Heh, your closet sounds about like mine. I've got my Dad's old Ikoflex and a stack of lenses, an F too old for any metered finder, an F2AS (my absolute favorite film camera of all time), and my wife's Pentax K-1000. There's a miscellaneous handful of Panasonic and Sony compact all-in-ones kicking about the place (I pinch my wife's Sony Cybershot for bike rides - it fits easily in a jersey pocket, has great image quality for a dinky point-n-shoot, and it's a cinch to operate one handed). There might still be a N70 in the box in the closet now that I think about it. :) For "serious" picture-taking, I used a D50 for a lot of years, until prices on refurb'ed D7000s dropped below the Spousal Pain Point :p and I grabbed one up along with an 18-200. I'll likely stick with the D7000 for however many years it lasts; it's more camera than I need most of the time already. The biggest boons on the D7000 were the AI-S coupling and the UNREAL low light capabilities. Oh, and I guess the Galaxy S4 counts as a digital cam too; it does pretty well for a cellphone.:cool:

I don't fit neatly into the poll options.

For Digital Cameras

I have a Canon 60d DLSR which I use when I know that I'm going to want good pictures in potentially challenging situations that benefit from having multiple lenses and/or more light. I have a decent flash that I can use with it.

I have a compact and waterproof Nikon that I'll use in wet or other environments that could damage a traditional camera. I'll also bring/use it if I want something better than a smartphone camera but don't want the bulk of a DSLR.

Then finally, the iPhone camera

Film Cameras

I have 2 SLRs, a rangefinder, and a TLR/medium format camera. I'll use the medium format camera when I want a high resolution shot. One SLR is an old AE-1 Program for which I have some really nice FD lenses (because they're cheap). I'll use that when I don't need the immediate gratification that a digital camera provides but require the flexibility that multiple lenses provide. I also have more modern SLR, - a Canon ELAN IIe. I don't use it much. It has a lot of the features of a good DSLR but it's a film camera.

The rangefinder I use when I want a film camera that is more compact and stealthy. A lot of mirrorless cameras bear a passing resemblance.

If I had limitless money to spend on my photography habit I'd probably get a smaller mirrorless camera. It would fall between the Nikon compact I have and the Canon DSLR. To be honest though, photography is mostly a hobby for me. I'm not sure I really need something that fits in between the DSLR and the compact. I don't know under what circumstances I'd elect to bring a mirrorless camera instead of the DSLR if it still wouldn't fit in a pocket.