What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, May 26, 2017.

1. Rollei 35 with HP5+ and Minolta SRT 101 with MD 35-70 with Plus-X. Also found my old Nikon Lite Touch (28mm f 3.5) and thought I'd run a roll through it.

2. A shot of the 400mm preset that I mentioned earlier in the thread.
    upload_2018-8-2_11-40-7.jpeg
    For those not familiar with this lens, the preset 400 is long, but lightweight. I usually just stop it down to f 32 and use the open/close ring to continuously vary the aperture until I get what I want. If you want a bit more reach there is also a 500mm f 8 version .

3. Nice shot of the lens Mike. I crafted a rifle like stock for mine. . . I would not think of using that arrangement at the race with todays environment. Bill

4. "New" Fed-2 (green) came in todays post. . N-61 L/D lens, so will "test drive" the combo at tomorrows Farmers Market with some UFX400. Bill

5. Thanks, Bill. And I look forward to seeing those Fed-2 results.

6. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

No photography for me this weekend. I'm having minor knee surgery Saturday, and I'll be using crutches for several days.

7. Take some pictures of your toes!! Speedy recovery . . Bill

8. Vincent Peri

Thanks, Bill.

Hmm... Vincent already has
    thousands of toe photos...
    [​IMG]

9. Nikon F100, on Holiday in the unusually hot French Alps, loaded with Rollei RPX 100, and a Rollei Vb with FP4 ( donโ€™t tell anyone, but a dig***l body as well)

10. That's a new one on me. If the normal aperture ring opens and closes the aperture in the normal fashion, what does the open/close ring do?

11. An old favourite, the Konica Autoreflex T with it's 57mm Hexanon AR f/1.4 lens. It came back from a CLA a few days ago and I'll post a few samples from a test film, over on the current weekly thread. Weather permitting, I'll take it out again in the weekend. It really is a nice old thing.

Konica Autoreflex T

Konica Autoreflex T.JPG

stuart_pratt likes this.
  12. davecaz- with preset lenses one would set the aperture ring to the desired aperture first. For example f 11 could be selected. The turn the o/c ring to open for easy focusing. The turning ring to closed stops the lens down to the aperture that you preset. Before this development you would just simply use the aperture ring. Was this a significant convenience? Maybe or maybe not, depending on photographer. When automatic diaphragm lenses became available the older preset lenses (like 35, 135, etc) were often bundled with cameras in an attempt to move them. If an outfit included a 135mm that was not labeled "auto" it was likely preset.
    Lots of cool vintage glass in preset mounts that can often be found cheap.
    I have a 50mm f 3.5 Rokkor QF that is preset. Same formula as later Rokkor and Celtic 50 macro lenses, but less sophisticated coating.

davecaz likes this.
  13. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

Quite a few of my Soviet lenses are preset as well. With TTL metering, I often leave the preset ring at minimum aperture then precisely adjust the aperture O/C ring until I get the desired reading. The presets can come in handy if you're shooting sunny f/16 or have already taken an exposure reading.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    davecaz likes this.
  14. Oohhhh, okay. Seems like an unnecessary complication, to me, but I can see why some folks might like it. I'm used to preset lenses that do not have that feature, but I've never seen one that has it (in person, that is).

15. SRT 101 with Minolta MD 35-70 f 3.5. If bright enough I'll be using some cold stored Panatomic-X. Otherwise either Plus-X (also cold stored) or Kentmere 100.

16. p227.jpg The first three pictures I posted on this weeks Film Camera Week were from my 2002 Hasselblad 501cm.

chuck909, davecaz and m42dave like this.
  17. Vincent Peri

I'm recovering from minor knee surgery last Saturday, so I'm not walking long distances yet. Hence, if I take any photos at all, they'll be in the block in front of my apartment. No idea what Nikon film camera(s) I'd use, though.

18. My sympathy, I suggest a FM2n with an ais lens.

19. My fave camera, Nikon SP rangefinder with 50mm F1.4
    Tried a Leica M7 but enjoy using the Nikon more. Not sure why. As soon as I pick it up I want to take photos.

20. Back again. I have a huge backlog, but if I can, I'm going out with my "new"Leica M3 and Summicron 50mm f/2
    Untitled.jpeg