What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Hi Rick

Your photo of the T70s look great. I have not heard too much about T70. Any comparison with T90?

Bruce

You should give it a some use, Mike. They're such a user-friendly, fuss-free camera with just enough automation to assist the user without dominating, as well as having one of the best viewfinders ever, a real bonus for my slightly ageing eyes. A landmark camera in many ways.

Bruce, the T90 is a quantum leap above the T70 in terms of electronic sophistication ( and the current asking price for a tidy T90 reflects this). To me, the T90 foreshadows the modern Canon DSLRs, and it was the last to use the FD lens mount. The T70 is rugged and easy to use, reliable and ergonomically preferable to the curvy T90, in my opinion, and the big, bright uncluttered viewfinder is a delight, along with a feather-touch shutter release. A good example is also easy to come by at a quarter the price of a T90. It's just a a fine camera for a photographer who wants to compose images and nail them without being too burdened down by a plethora of choices.

Have a look at : Canon T70 Camera

The T70 is rugged and easy to use, reliable and ergonomically preferable to the curvy T90, in my opinion, and the big, bright uncluttered viewfinder is a delight, along with a feather-touch shutter release. A good example is also easy to come by at a quarter the price of a T90. It's just a a fine camera for a photographer who wants to compose images and nail them without being too burdened down by a plethora of choices.

Another vote for Canon T70. Nice grip, adequate heft, bright viewfinder, and simple controls make it a real pleasure to use. I think I got mine in excellent condition for $10 or less.

• Like 1

And another consideration for potential Canon users: The manual focus Canon (FD mount, etc.), like the MInolta MD, is an "orphaned mount" meaning no new gear or lenses are produced in that mount by the original manufacturer. Often this means bargain prices. My wife has an old Canon AL-1 (focus assist lamp) that she bought back in the 80's. She has the standard 50mm FD and a Sigma 70-210 f4-5.6. I must repair the battery door on it and get it working.

BTW, one of my favorite older Canon SLR's is the FT-b. Pretty much any Canon lens (FD, FL, even breech lock) work just fine with it. And batteries only power the meter.

I have several cameras loaded with film, but my Pentax MX is closest to hand and will probably be the first I'll grab if the mood takes me. I have a few exposures left on a roll of Tri-X in it.

And another consideration for potential Canon users: The manual focus Canon (FD mount, etc.), like the MInolta MD, is an "orphaned mount" meaning no new gear or lenses are produced in that mount by the original manufacturer. Often this means bargain prices. My wife has an old Canon AL-1 (focus assist lamp) that she bought back in the 80's. She has the standard 50mm FD and a Sigma 70-210 f4-5.6. I must repair the battery door on it and get it working.

BTW, one of my favorite older Canon SLR's is the FT-b. Pretty much any Canon lens (FD, FL, even breech lock) work just fine with it. And batteries only power the meter.

I recently replaced a broken battery door on an A-series Canon. I found the replacement door on eBay for a few bucks. It's a bit fiddly to replace, but do-able.

You and I have the same favorite old Canon. I have a soft spot in my heart for the FTb. Even though I'd been shooting with A-series Canons for a while, once I bought my first FTb, it really changed my approach to photography. I like to say the FTb taught me how to be a photographer. And of course it's the perfect stepping stone to the original F-1, still my all-time favorite 35mm SLR.

Hey you T70 fans! I bought my T70 for one reason -- it has a Partial metering pattern, so that means it meters in a similar fashion to the FTb and original F-1 -- still my favorite metering pattern. Everything else about the camera is just gravy.

Edited by mwmcbroom
  • Like 1

Here at midweek I'm finally trying out a 105mm f2.5 Tamron Adaptamatic. It's attached to my Minolta SRT SCII which is loaded with FP4+. I will be using stop-down metering as the mount is an SR mount. I'd forgotten that the Adaptamatic mounts are a bit more finicky to adjust than they look, but once mounted they work fine.

I have several film cameras loaded with film right now, but the only one I have out, easily to hand, is my Pentax MX. I have only a few shots left on a roll of Tri-X, so this camera takes priority over the others. I'm not planning on going anywhere for the weekend, but I have gotten in the habit recently of taking a camera with me when I go out.

Last week I wanted to test shoot Nikomat EL. I shot two rolls of Arist Edu 400 but turned out I made a foolish mistake while loading one of the rolls and that was ruined. The other roll came out well. This weekend I want to use Fuji GA645Zi with Ilford FP4 Plus. I like the weight of the camera - it's lighter than Nikomat EL with lens mounted, and sharpness of the lens is extraordinary. On the other hand, auto focus is bad and I've to try 2-3 times to get the focusing distance right. Loading 120 film on to Patterson plastic reel in the dark bag has been a hit or miss of late for me. I will probably practice a few times with a dead roll before trying my luck with live roll. If the light remains good I might also use Olympus 35 EC with Arista Edu 400.
  • Like 1

Hello

I loaded two rolls of Kentmere 100 from bulk into a plastic cass and a metal cass to see which one I like better, they are in an Olympus 35RC and a Canonet QL17

I am going to try to get them both shot this weekend and develop them Saturday?

I just loaded 12 shots on each roll as this is the first time I have rolled my own! and I am using a new to me loader from e-bay.

Hello Mike

I just finished developing and scanning from the first two rolls, came out fine except I forgot to open the gate on one of the rolls so minor scratches. Both cassettes worked fine, there was a little bleed on the edge in a couple of spots on the metal cassette and the plastic was clear

I was at the Photo Fair in Newark CA Yesterday and picked up a second loader, now I have to decide on a 400 speed film, either Delta 400 or HP5 or XP2.

I am going to try a roll of XP2 and develop with HC110, there is a thread on APUG, I think, of someone using it and the shots look very good.

I will post some of the ones I did today on another thread

Don