Use a DSLR as a webcam?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Hector Javkin, Apr 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I am clearly hijacking the thread here
    Thats 3x as fast as even my download.
    What to do with 0.4 Mb/s upload? Is there software that would downsize and compress DSLR video output for online meeting needs?

Is it hard to integrate (crops from) smart devices as "cameras" into PC based online conferences? I'm just seriously wondering about them since they should provide enough DOF to not generate the focusing challenges one might face utilizing APS C or bigger cameras with questionable LV AF performance.

2. 0.4 Mb/s is really slow! Are you sure you mean bits not bytes (e.g., MB/s)?

The only conference software I've used is Zoom, which is highly compressed, jittery, with significant delays. My major enterprise is streaming high quality video of professional musical events. For that, I use Wirecast, I use a 1080p60 feed, which Wirecast sizes to 720p30 for transmission. The amount of compression at that rate is adjustable too, to keep within the available bandwidth and CPU utilization of the computer. Wirecast will handle a number of protocols, but I'm working in the RTMP framework. There is a comparable product for iOS and Android devices called "Wirecast Go", which can be used alone or in conjunction with the computer version.

There are many video conferencing software packages besides Zoom. The better ones are on a subscription basis, or per use. A local school I'm working with on a virtual choir project uses "FlipGrid" for virtual classroom interractions. One-on-one conversations are easily done on Facetime (and similar services). I know several musicians, including my wife, who use Facetime to give music lessons.

Can you use a smart phone as a camera, in conjunction with conferencing software on a computer or laptop? That's a good question, but I don't have a good answer at present. It's something I should look at for the future. Up to this point I've been mainly concerned with getting good quality audio into a smart device. Their video is generally very good. I don't know how cropping (digital zooming) affects their output resolution.

Ricochetrider likes this.
  3. Hmmm, it seems like the whole world is fixated on Zoom right now, that's the one and only word I've heard everyone using in reference to video conferencing at work!
    It's a shame they can't provide a better quality service. Maybe their system is just overwhelmed?

EDIT: Ed, maybe this is a new direction for you, as the live event & music industry is on hold for all of 2020

4. We do our videoconferencing for work with Microsoft Teams. I don't have a camera, just a mic, but it seems to work well for everybody and the video quality is good. I have low-end DSL but no problems with throughput. I don't think Teams is highly developed and it has a few quirks, but nothing show stopping. It don't load quickly, but probably under 30 seconds worst case.