Source for b&w film

<p>Just getting back into film, and wondering about good source (inexpensive!). Most likely will shoot 100 and 400 speed. <br>

While I'm at it, we're also getting a darkroom up. Construction (so to speak) is underway, and we found a decent enlarger at a good price on Craigslist. Where should I buy decent "every day" paper (probably 8x10 and 5x7), and what type should I look at. And what about sourcing the other stuff we'll need for the darkroom (supplies...chemicals, trays, tongs, etc.).<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Like Peter, I order from Freestyle and B&H. I also order from Adorama <a href="http://www.adorama.com/">http://www.adorama.com/</a> </p>

<p>Freestyle has more film and paper products and is slightly higher priced for the name brands - Kodak and Ilford. Their house brand Arista is lower priced and in some cases is Kodak film rebranded (look for "Made in U.S.A. in the product description).</p>

<p>I also order from Amazon.com. Film makes a good "fill in" to bring an order up to the $25 to take advantage of free shipping. I find that in many cases Amazon's prices are the same as B&H and Adorama. All the film I have received from Amazon has had good expiration dates - the last roll of Ilford Delta 100 I ordered expires in 2015. This is for film provided directly by Amazon, <strong>not</strong> one of their sellers.</p>

<p>B&H is much more restrictive about shipping chemicals than Adorama or Freestyle. Something to do with their deal with UPS, I presume.<br>

Anything capital (trays, etc.) is cheaper used on Craigslist or eBay. Plus, you can't buy new Nikor tanks or reels anymore. (Although a new Hewes reel is a treat!)</p>

<p>Check out Freestyle's LegacyPro chemicals, most of them are made by Kodak or rather Eastman Chemicals which makes them for Kodak. Read in the description, if it says "with the same or similar formulations as Kodak chemicals", guess what, they are!</p>

<p>Film: Freestyle's house brand Arista.EDU Ultra is a nice film in 100, 200 and 400 speed, it is made by Foma. If you like Kodak's Tri-X then go for Arista Premium 400 as it is Tri-X.</p>

<p>What did you get with your enlarger? Did you get a timer or a safe light? Did you get any negative carriers?</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>There is a lot of other darkroom equipment on craigslist, including whole darkrooms (room not included). There is a little extra challenge finding the parts that you need, or working with what you find.<br>

<br />I still have my 5x7 and 8x10 trays that I got when I was about 10 years old (that is, over 40 years ago). Then a few years ago I bought 11x14 trays on Craigslist along with some chemicals and bottles. (New bottles are always expensive!)<br>

<br />I have also bought film on Craigslist, but 100 foot rolls new are pretty affordable, and should last you a while. (Or find one past date, but kept cold. Should be fine.)</p>

-- glen