One way to spot well-hidden fraud on eBay

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Karim Ghantous, May 2, 2021.

1. I have noticed a lot of fraudulent camera listings on eBay. Usually they are easy to spot: there is usually a notice in the photos, or in the item description, that there is a BIN price, and that all bids will be ignored. That's obvious fraud.

The less obvious fraud is when the BIN price for an item is suspiciously low, but not stupidly so. There is no disclaimer anywhere that discourages you from bidding. But, for some reason, the item location is given as a non-existence place. For example, Kiev, Italy. Or, St. Petersburg, Germany.

Just be careful. I think eBay needs to be more strict as to how accounts are created.

ericphelps likes this.
  2. I saw one listing where the item location was St Petersburg, USA. What a giveaway, eh?

3. Yup, and I wouldn't trust anything from Tampa either ;)

4. Why pick on Florida?

Karim Ghantous likes this.
  5. SCL

SCL

Every couple of weeks, usually Saturday or Sunday am, a bunch of fake Leica gear auctions show up, and I report them to Ebay so hopefully unsuspecting buyers won't loosen their wallets to these scumbags. As Karim mentioned, when you see a seies of auctions showing up at under $5, and when you scroll down in them, you see a BIN price much higher with contact info outside Ebay...run away...thry aren't real. You can also check the sellers' history and quite often you will find they sell used clothing, low value trinkets, etc., so there is little likelihood they came upon a cache of high end Leica gear to sell.

Karim Ghantous likes this.
  6. Ebay, for selling low value items. The end.

Simple.

7. I am selling some staff on Ebay and seller isn't getting any money till item actually delivered, so what is the point of fakes?

8. Can one sell people on ebay?

9. How do you manage that? Isn't the usual way that the buyer pays and the item is then shipped? Unless some kind of escrow account is used, the seller usually receives the money right away, or not? I haven't sold anything on ebay for quite some time - so things might have changed.

10. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Thought that was usually done on Craigslist.

11. Ebay is shyte any more. Only thing it's good for is avoiding retail purchases on Amazon- although I've bought a few things from "ebay sellers" that arrive in Amazon packaging! Coe to think of it I bought something on eBay app, that arrive in a Home Depot box once! What in the absolute f. It's getting harder & harder to boycott places! :-0

12. There's nothing inherently fraudulent in putting a Buy it Now price on an item. Total FUD. But yes, always be careful in buying any thing on an auction site.

13. The bit about buy-it-now prices that hint at fraud are those that are not offered through eBay's 'mechanism', but are posted in the text of an item's description. Often that description isn't text, but an image of a text, i.e. not machine readable.

14. I gather you only had bad experiences buying on eBay. There's not much wrong with eBay, though, as long as you remember that age-old caveat emptor.

The box something comes in... only tells you something about what box happened to be available to the seller. What's your gripe with that?

15. Got it, thanks. I thought he was talking about the button often included on many auctions. In the words of Emily Literal (Gilda Radner)..."Never mind". :)

16. There are non-fraudulent BIN items, but yes they have to be bought the right way.

My most recent camera purchase, which I have posted pictures from, and posted it on
    "what camera are you using this weekend" is a Nikon D1X for $42.

Pretty close to the price it says here: Nikon: D1X Price Guide: estimate a camera value

It was sold by Roberts Cameras, which seems to have thousands of reasonably
    priced cameras, mostly with BIN pricing. They have 99.7% positive feedback,
    and over 160,000 items sold!

It seems that now they have D1X at 3 for $129. (In case one isn't enough.)

17. A just FWIW recent ebay experience:
    I bought a cheap 'fitness watch' on ebay, only to find it was a fake and couldn't possibly measure heart rate. It was refunded after complaint to the seller - fair enough so far. But then it gets interesting.
    I filled in the request for feedback with a negative due to 'Item not as described' - then received a grovelling plea from the seller to request a withdrawal of feedback.

That's not the first time I've received a plea from a seller not to leave negative feedback on an unsatisfactory item either. But one has to draw a line somewhere.

I'm gobsmacked. I mean, what use is feedback if it's not going to reflect customer experience? Or can be censored if it's not to the seller's liking?

NHSN likes this.
  18. I think I have given positive feedback when I got a full refund for a defective product.
    But that would be for good faith defects.

In the case of an actual fake product, when the seller should have known, I am not sure.
    I thought it wasn't possible to withdraw feedback once submitted.

19. Feedback can be changed if requested. If you are a seller as well as a buyer, you have a different outlook on feedback. Even one negative out of hundreds of positives knocks you off 100% for a whole year. I've only ever given positive feedback.

I get particularly annoyed about people who say they will give good feedback upon receipt of the same.

20. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

You can get the equipment cheaper if you go directly to Roberts' webpage at Used Cameras and Used Camera Equipment For Sale | UsedPhotoPro That way, they don't charge slightly more because of ebay fees. Also, if you use the coupon code "take5" when you check out, you'll get 5% off your purchase.